Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 08:30 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,253,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Obama is a U.S. Senator and knows the workings of Washington, Congress and the Senate.

Obama is a Highly Educated Ivy league Graduate, and Lawyer.

Obama taught Constitutional Law for over 10 years at the University level.

Obama graduated as an honors law student.

Therefore Obama's background, experience and education qualifies him for the Presidency of the United States. With his background, he can "hit the ground running" as President.

Palin...6 different colleges in five years, barely graduated from school with a Gpa of 2.0, only became mayor and governor because of her beauty pagent status, totally incompetent.
Your right about one thing...he knows the workings and has the experience: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/14/us...=1&oref=slogin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 06:21 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,764,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
My point is that if he is so bold as to step aside from his usual level headed objectivity, then Palin must really be a pinhead.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:30 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,452,606 times
Question Just for clarification...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
So let's see if I get this right, it's ok for Obama to get "on the job training" (and don't slam me, that's Biden's remarks, not mine!), but it's not ok for Sarah Palin to have to get a little training herself, even though she won't actually be the Commander in Chief, John McCain will.

Hmmmm.....the double standards never cease to exist.
A few very basic questions just to see if we're on the same frequency here...

1. How long has Obama been in the spotlight, answering questions and facing the heat?

2. How long has Palin been in the spotlight, answering questions and facing the heat?

3. Which candidate has been whining about unfair coverage?

4. Which candidate has gotten the approval of millions of voters?

5. Which candidate has been handed their position?

That should do for starters.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:35 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,597,433 times
ummm why don't we compare the interviews obama FIRST HAD when he went on the road vs Palin's current interviews.

He has been polished for the 1.5 years.......and he still isn't that great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I guess you have not seen the interviews Palin gave. If I compare that to Obama, no comparison.
I don't like ANY of the candiates, but Palin is by far the shall we say "most intellectually challenged".

By the way, pot kettle black????

Old 09-30-2008, 06:42 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,452,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
ummm why don't we compare the interviews obama FIRST HAD when he went on the road vs Palin's current interviews.

He has been polished for the 1.5 years.......and he still isn't that great.

So, now you're discounting that 1.5 years of experience in facing the media?

Old 09-30-2008, 07:43 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,733,659 times
Quote:
Wow....that's a greatly insightful post. And so you think she should get her grade before she even takes the test. Interesting. How about this...why don't we at least let her get one debate in before we pass judgement.

Several years ago, one of the project managers was studying to take the test to get his Florida's Contractors License, which is one of the hardest in the country. He had been studying for 6 weeks and failed the test. Never studying anything for even 1 day, I took the test just for fun, not even caring about passing it at the time, and passed it on the first try by 3 points. So because he studied 6 weeks, did that make him smarter? You cannot rely on booksmarts to get this country through all the time. If you could, we wouldn't be in the financial crisis we are in.
What kind of EXPERIENCE did you have? I'm assuming quite a bit of experience in the construction trades or you would not have been able to pass the test.

We're talking about how no presidential or vice-presidential candidate has OTJ experience. In the absence of such experience, education and parallel experiences count. Common sense is very important in any job, but there's no substitute for a leader having a firm grasp of history and policy before making decisions that affect the entire world. Having watched George Bush in action for the last eight years should prove that.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:54 AM

877 posts, read 2,079,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
A few very basic questions just to see if we're on the same frequency here...

1. How long has Obama been in the spotlight, answering questions and facing the heat?

2. How long has Palin been in the spotlight, answering questions and facing the heat?

3. Which candidate has been whining about unfair coverage?

4. Which candidate has gotten the approval of millions of voters?

5. Which candidate has been handed their position?

That should do for starters.
Sounds like a fair challenge:

1) Obama has never had to answer basic questions. He has never explained his associations (Wright, Ayers, Rezko) to the public, but embraced them when the political tides were high and distanced himself when the political tides were low.

2) Ever since the day she was nominated she has been attacked, questioned intensely, and her family thrust into the public sphere unfairly. Her qualifications not only as a political candidate, but as a mother have been questioned. Through all of this she has continued to give interviews where she expected and received hard hitting questions, and campaigned for her party.

3) That would be Senator Obama. Every time he is asked a tough question or his associations were questioned, he turned it back on the interviewer. Racism was usually the argument, but all too often he responded by asking why McCain hasn't answered these questions.

4) Both. Although the benefit of being a VP candidate is that you don't need to receive any votes or participate in the primaries. It worked for Biden.

5) That would be Senator Obama. An unknown who was able to use his race as a key card in campaigning for the Presidency, and the animosity of the Democrat party towards the Clintons to throw Hillary aside, despite the fact that she received more votes than he.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:31 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,990,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0 View Post
Sounds like a fair challenge:

1) Obama has never had to answer basic questions. He has never explained his associations (Wright, Ayers, Rezko) to the public, but embraced them when the political tides were high and distanced himself when the political tides were low.

2) Ever since the day she was nominated she has been attacked, questioned intensely, and her family thrust into the public sphere unfairly. Her qualifications not only as a political candidate, but as a mother have been questioned. Through all of this she has continued to give interviews where she expected and received hard hitting questions, and campaigned for her party.

3) That would be Senator Obama. Every time he is asked a tough question or his associations were questioned, he turned it back on the interviewer. Racism was usually the argument, but all too often he responded by asking why McCain hasn't answered these questions.

4) Both. Although the benefit of being a VP candidate is that you don't need to receive any votes or participate in the primaries. It worked for Biden.

5) That would be Senator Obama. An unknown who was able to use his race as a key card in campaigning for the Presidency, and the animosity of the Democrat party towards the Clintons to throw Hillary aside, despite the fact that she received more votes than he.
If you would take just a few minutes doing some research you would realize that your assertions are incorrect. Although I will state that Obama isn't my favorite politician, he's handled himself quite well in very difficult interview situations. Although Biden isn't my favorite politician either, he similarly handles himself very well in comparison to Palin.

Palin has been given a fair shake - choking or misspeaking in one or even two interviews is rather forgivable; but painfully limping through interview after interview is what most of us have seen with her. The situation stinks because there are many of us who would have loved to see her come out and succeed, but she just wasn't ready (that much is obvious right now). It's simply too early in her political career; she's not ready for this role. People are spending most of her interview time asking for examples of applicable experience or knowledge and she cannot come up with much of anything.

McCain made a mistake in choosing her as a running mate. He didn't know her and admits that. In retrospect he's probably kicking himself (or the people on his team who advised him to select her).

You know, even with this miscalculation he and Palin still might win. It's about the electoral votes and not the popular vote anyway - thus most of what we're all seeing is a grand illusion. It doesn't matter who we as common US citizens like at this point. The electoral college is going to make the choice for us and I'd wager that most of them will be deciding behind the scenes in dealings we'll never see nor hear about.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:07 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,959,245 times
Quote:
Several years ago, one of the project managers was studying to take the test to get his Florida's Contractors License, which is one of the hardest in the country. He had been studying for 6 weeks and failed the test. Never studying anything for even 1 day, I took the test just for fun, not even caring about passing it at the time, and passed it on the first try by 3 points. So because he studied 6 weeks, did that make him smarter? You cannot rely on booksmarts to get this country through all the time. If you could, we wouldn't be in the financial crisis we are in.
Interesting analogy. Is this a multiple choice test? Just curious since I also live in FL and have a few licenses (not for contracting) and was told the tests I took were the hardest in FL. One is the #215 License for Life, Health & Annuities. I've heard many people say "I took the State Exam 3 times and failed." Long story short - I didn't even attend the 40 hour class and found an online study course accepted by the FLDFS. The day of my State Exam, I was sick and had a splitting headache. Yet I finished an hour early, scoring 92. (174 right out of 189 questions) Guess what? I still can't make a living selling insurance or annuities. I don't have the personality or the aggression that's required for success in the business, and I don't really like bothering people at home. So what I am saying is that I completely agree that "booksmarts" doesn't always guarantee success as you wrote. However, being able to communicate with people intelligently, present your views clearly, and command enough respect & attention so you can control a situation without being condescending, are all qualities that help a lot. I feel Obama has demonstrated all of these important attributes.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:09 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,965,265 times
Quote:
So let's see if I get this right, it's ok for Obama to get "on the job training" (and don't slam me, that's Biden's remarks, not mine!), but it's not ok for Sarah Palin to have to get a little training herself, even though she won't actually be the Commander in Chief, John McCain will.

Hmmmm.....the double standards never cease to exist.
Welcome to the world of double standards, do as I say, not as I do. Welcome to the world of the liberal twilight zone. Don't try to understand it, don't try to bring logic to the table because there is none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections