Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 03:01 PM

438 posts, read 831,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberta View Post
If enough people weren't afraid, and voted for a 3rd party, then it would be a "major" party. It could begin with you. or me. Most everything starts out "grassroots". Who is the brave soul who will dare speak out first? This is a great time to vote for whom you respect. Since neither of the 2 parties are worth voting for, you are not wasting your vote.
I certainly don't feel that I am thowing away my vote, for not voting for either of the 2. If one was better than the other--maybe--but they are the same.
So true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 03:05 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suki03 View Post
Are you sick of picking the lesser of two evils? Are you sick of the patronizing politicians in Washington? Are you sick of the media bias in this country? Are you sick of the same lines politicians talks about instead of the real issues and real solutions?

The politicians should be working for us, for this country, and not for the corporations or for themselves.

We need a real change! Vote for the independent candidates you support!
Absolutely ! ! ! Been voting third party since Gerald Ford lost to Jimbo. Still waiting on the rest of the country to catch up.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:10 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,205 times
I've asked on other occasions, different places...

What if 10% of the House were Independents, taken equally from each party. 22 from Dem, 21 from Pubs (whatever). Neither party would have a majority. Which party would control the House? The Speaker?

Ten percent.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:27 PM

27 posts, read 56,608 times
Yes, Willy, I really do think that third party will come into play in the future, if not this generation. Even though change is the magic word this election year, the people are actually afraid of change, they think with change comes instability.

I just found this commentary, it's a pretty fun read, though I don't agree with all his views, but some parts are very true.

Commentary

Old 10-02-2008, 03:28 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Quote:
they think with change comes instability.
...as opposed to the oh-so-stable status quo, of course.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:58 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLDanford View Post
I'm not talking about how you "feel," I'm talking about practicalities here. A 3rd party vote will not be a part of the major decision-making in this election. UNLESS it's to potentially take votes away from the "lesser evil."
How do I choose between McCain or Obama? There really isn't a "lesser evil" for me. I loathe them both. Ok, I loathe Obama a little more... but still, I have no use for McCain.

I will not vote for either one.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:05 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,791,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
I think when Ron Paul was a Libertarian it really was a different platform. Now they have a candidate that has some good ideas but in reality is nothing more than a republican calling himself a Libertarian so he can run. I think Ron Paul is the far better Libertarian choice, but after careful review I found my solution in the Nader group. If you really want Libertarian.. you might opt for the Ron Paul write in. Check Bob Barr out and see what I found. Nice guy but not any different than the 2 primary party candidates. See what you think then compare to Nader.... I would be interested in hearing .
I'm on his website right now. Some things I agree with, others I don't. Specifically, his stand on nuclear power, affirmative action and I'm skeptical about health care (sounds expensive?). But the National Iniative and the ability of people to get a vote on something is interesting. So there are good points and not so good, but I'll have to spend more time on his website later as well as Barr's and Ron Paul's if he didn't drop out later when I'm not so tired from riding my bike. But you've given me more to look at; I thought Nader was just farther to the left from Obama but it looks like I was wrong.

I also need to look into what votes might actually count since I'm in Texas and I don't know this state's write-in policy is.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:29 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,408,610 times
Quote:
Are you sick of picking the lesser of two evils? Are you sick of the patronizing politicians in Washington? Are you sick of the media bias in this country? Are you sick of the same lines politicians talks about instead of the real issues and real solutions?

The politicians should be working for us, for this country, and not for the corporations or for themselves.

We need a real change! Vote for the independent candidates you support!

I couldn't agree more and that is exactly what I plan to do. FYI: so are a lot of black folks! We don't all support Obama and many of us are angry about his treasonous support of LaRaza, Lulac, illegal alien amnesty and the DreamAct.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:31 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,408,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
How do I choose between McCain or Obama? There really isn't a "lesser evil" for me. I loathe them both. Ok, I loathe Obama a little more... but still, I have no use for McCain.

I will not vote for either one.
Hooray for Independents!

Old 10-03-2008, 07:05 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
I've asked on other occasions, different places...

What if 10% of the House were Independents, taken equally from each party. 22 from Dem, 21 from Pubs (whatever). Neither party would have a majority. Which party would control the House? The Speaker?

Ten percent.
The majority party is that which has the most members, even if you throw in Independents.

Right now it is 49-49-1-1. Joe Lieberman throws the dems into the majority as an Independent Democrat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections