Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 09:58 AM

365 posts, read 525,414 times

Advertisements

Everyone should know by now that Palin has done debates and interviews before, she's good at fooling people, she's smooth and sly, she has journalist experience - which means that the McCain's camp has spent wasteful days trying to paint another illusion to the American people. I don't believe it is humanly possible for anyone to had done so poorly in an interview as they portrayed Sarah on CBS, and then to have McCain go back on air all week to campaign on Sarah behalf as if she is not capable of speaking for herself (making her look dumb & empty) - all this was just a setup so that Palin will appear to look and sound good during the VP debate. By them setting the bar so low, all Palin has to do to win is just smile and make repetitious smart remarks.

Just another one of (McLiesPlainLies) McCain/Palin's illusion. I want be surprise at all, what about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 10:02 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
You can get the bar that low?

Old 10-02-2008, 10:03 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
At this point, if she can utter a sentence with a subject and a predicate she's going to come out ahead. It's just sad to be shooting so low.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:08 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,062,691 times
I think that everyone is looking at this debate from the wrong angle.

This isn't a debate between Sarah Palin and Joe Biden, this a debate between the Charlie Gibson and Katie Couric Sarah Palin and idea of a Vice President Sarah Palin. In one fell swoop, Palin has to undue all of the self-inflicted damage that she has brought on herself in the last couple of weeks. Bidens only role is to serve as a standard for judging her.

As for the bar being set to low, I again disagree, Palin has to knock this one out of the ball park. The stakes are incredibly high and the pressure on her will be commensurate.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:12 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
If you're (the OP) trying to say that she's made a deliberate poor showing in her interviews, but in the debate tonight, the "real" Sarah will somehow shine through, I just don't think that has been their strategy. If she were at all capable, she would have built on the momentum that she brought to the campaign when she was first selected...instead, she's really become the biggest detriment to McCain's chances of election.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-02-2008 at 10:21 AM..

Old 10-02-2008, 01:37 PM

365 posts, read 525,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
At this point, if she can utter a sentence with a subject and a predicate she's going to come out ahead. It's just sad to be shooting so low.

I noticed that Palin never gives a straight direct answer. She avoids the question and talks about everything else; when all is done and said, you have no idea WTH she's talking about. It's truly painful to watch her strain with answering questions; but she's good at making under-handed smart comments.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:49 PM

395 posts, read 510,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

Exactly. She's set the bar so low that everybody expects every word that comes out of her mouth to be stupid. Which won't be the case. She is being trained like the karate kid by people only good money could buy. As I stated before, it's like when you have somebody like Paris Hilton, 50 Cent, or Marilyn Manson speak. People come out saying, "Wow, they are actually pretty intelligent!" When in actuality they are not. It's just that you expected so little from them that any sense or normality becomes intelligent.

I don't think it was done on purpose though. Even though it did briefly cross my mind.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:55 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,538,478 times
I'm glad you posted this because I had thought that as well. I know that this debate is really about the top of each tickets. It will be there job to show case Obama or McCain. I do think that because of Palin seeming to not know much even what paper she reads that this is a reflection of John McCain. He picked her. I think it will be interesting to see if she all of a sudden comes out hitting when she has looked like a fool for weeks. I do think that if she seems different than she has protrait herself in these last weeks I think that is sad. This isn't about a big show or grand stand plays like when McCain picked her. THis election is about the American people. This isn't American Idol. Those running those 4 need to be who they are good or bad. There shouldn't be game playing. Know the issues and where your ticket stands and deliver to the people. If it has been anything but that with her , I think she and MCCain have wasted peoples time.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:56 PM

550 posts, read 1,234,754 times
It's already over. The bible thumpers will support pubs no matter what. But she's already insulted all media, community workers, women, and all Americans. She can't win. And it's her own fault.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:18 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
However tonight's debate turns out, it won't matter much in the election. In 1988, Loyd Bentsen mopped the floor with Dan Quayle, and came up with THE most memorable VP debate line ever. "I knew Jack Kennedy, Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. And you, senator, are no Jack Kennedy." Bush and Quayle won anyway.

Can anyone recall Lieberman and Cheney in 2000? I watched it, and I don't recall anything. I watched Cheney and Edwards 4 years ago, too. Nothing memorable. If tonight's matchup produces any memorable moments, they'll be an interesting footnote to the campaign, but they won't be decisive. The few undecideds left probably won't be swayed by VP candidates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections