Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2008, 08:48 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,870,890 times

Advertisements

Remember Giuliani? He was a "shoe in" to get the nomination (kind of like he was a shoe in to beat Hillary in NY Senate race), and then run the table against Hillary in the Presidential race?

But here's what happened:

In the Senate race he read the poll numbers and bowed out. He thereby forfeitied the sympathy vote for his prostate cancer. Of course another bout of "infidelity" fever was also on him at the time, so that may have influenced him.

In the primaries, the more money he spent, the lower he dropped in the polls. Somehow the hype couldn't translate into votes.

He then bet everything on "turning it all around in" Florida. Uh oh, too many retired New Yorkers in Florida for that to work out.

So he scooted back to his law offices, where, in violation of election laws, he had continued drawing salary during his run. Of course "the screaming skull" showed back up at the RNC. You remember the RNC, where SP showed up, wowed the trogs and got McCain about a 10 day bounce.

She was HOT for a couple of weeks, but then those pesky questions started; experience? Oil and gas regulator? Truthfulness? Shifting blame to everyone else, extreme snarkiness.

The base is still fired up about her, and those that still have money will be sending it in for more smear ads, but somehow that "old black magic" isn't working as well this year.

Poll numbers dropping.
The base is still excited though.

It should be an interesting, and mud filled final 4 weeks.

golfgod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 10:13 AM

11,519 posts, read 14,727,085 times
Good analyis of Guiliani's nomination. I think he's alot smarter and knowledgeable than she is though.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:17 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,315,177 times
Default Interesting post

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Remember Giuliani? He was a "shoe in" to get the nomination (kind of like he was a shoe in to beat Hillary in NY Senate race), and then run the table against Hillary in the Presidential race?

But here's what happened:

In the Senate race he read the poll numbers and bowed out. He thereby forfeitied the sympathy vote for his prostate cancer. Of course another bout of "infidelity" fever was also on him at the time, so that may have influenced him.

In the primaries, the more money he spent, the lower he dropped in the polls. Somehow the hype couldn't translate into votes.

He then bet everything on "turning it all around in" Florida. Uh oh, too many retired New Yorkers in Florida for that to work out.

So he scooted back to his law offices, where, in violation of election laws, he had continued drawing salary during his run. Of course "the screaming skull" showed back up at the RNC. You remember the RNC, where SP showed up, wowed the trogs and got McCain about a 10 day bounce.

She was HOT for a couple of weeks, but then those pesky questions started; experience? Oil and gas regulator? Truthfulness? Shifting blame to everyone else, extreme snarkiness.

The base is still fired up about her, and those that still have money will be sending it in for more smear ads, but somehow that "old black magic" isn't working as well this year.

Poll numbers dropping.
The base is still excited though.

It should be an interesting, and mud filled final 4 weeks.

golfgod
As somebody who voted for Rudy as mayor (I am Dem) I found your post very interesting. My one point of contention would be his abandoned senate campaign. I think he may have won it. There was a lot of (and still some) carpet-bagger anger against Hillary.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:14 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,870,890 times
jprofess wrote;
Quote:
My one point of contention would be his abandoned senate campaign. I think he may have won it.
Funny thing about elections, they only go to one of the names on the ballot! IIRC he was dropping in the polls because Rudy was counting on winning just with the NYC/metro area vote, and had IGNORED the western part of the state and all the places Hillary had taken her listening tour.

Look at the debate vido of the loser (can't recal his name right now) when he got right up in Hillary's face badgering her to sign a (???) no tax pledge. Based on Rudy's antics he'd have tried the same thing and had it backfire too. When are some indictments coming down on this a**ferret?

golfgod

Old 10-06-2008, 03:51 PM

572 posts, read 806,088 times

-- image: Creative Commons --

Giuliani - a noun, a verb, and 9/11

Embarracuda - dog-gone-it, who really cares about coherent English? wink!

Last edited by Tennis702; 10-06-2008 at 04:53 PM..

Old 10-06-2008, 04:36 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,705,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis702 View Post
Giuliani - a noun, a verb, and 9/11

Embarracuda - dog-gone-it, who really cares about coherent English? wink!
A noun, a verb and maverick.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:40 PM

68,395 posts, read 54,679,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
A noun, a verb and maverick.

I got it Alex, I got it!

What are a part of speech, a part of speech, and a politician with nothing of substance to offer!

Old 10-06-2008, 04:47 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,705,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I got it Alex, I got it!

What are a part of speech, a part of speech, and a politician with nothing of substance to offer!
Too bad you bet your money in the stock market and not in Jeopardy. Also, the ? was missing - so it was not in form of a question.
I think Palin has impacted you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections