Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you vote along party lines?
Always 2 10.53%
Never 3 15.79%
Usually 10 52.63%
Sometimes 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 12:51 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times

Advertisements

Growing up, my parents were very conservative so I always voted republican. As I grew up and went to college, I distanced myself from my parents politcal views and became much more liberal, almost always voting for democrats. With the current financial situation, I've become completely disillousioned with both parties and have no idea how I will vote this November, let alone any future elections. I guess what I'm trying to get it is that I never plan on voting along party lines again. However, I'm really curious to see how many people do. It seems that there are some hardcore Reps and Dems on these boards that will support their party no matter what. So, how do you vote?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 12:54 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,586,936 times
Democrats for presidential elections almost always. Republicans for congressional, local, and statewide office. I voted for Jim Webb in 2006, though.

I am still a liberal Democrat, however.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:58 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
I'm a mix and match voter. I read as much as I can about candidates and their plans, and then I vote according to the one I can most tolerate. I don't mean that as a put-down of politicians. But there isn't any candidate I agree with 100%, I'm truly thrilled when it's around 70-75%. Sometimes my choice is between a candidate I agree with 30% of the time and another I agree with 40% of the time. But I applaud the people who get out there and bravely announce what their positions are, who are willing to put the time and energy into developing public policy.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:08 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times
I don't usually vote along party lines. I research each candidate and make up my own mind. My feeling is that this division is destroying our country. All many can think of is partisans--regardless if that party's candidate is best for the job. I find this particularly true with dems and have been voting less and less for dems in recent years. They put people on the defensive more often than not while refusing to be accountable for their own actions. This reality is getting more prevalent and uglier each passing year. I'm sick of it all. I'm an Independent--for what that's worth.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:14 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,921 times
I don't think of myself as belonging to either of the two main parties. However, I usually wind up voting for Democratic candidates, as their ideologies and proposed policies tend to be closer to what I believe/want. There are always exceptions, though.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:15 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,393,265 times
This is the second time (I voted for Regan the second time around) I am voting for a Republican since my college days when I first worked for McGovern. I'm from Illinois and know way too much about Obama.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:15 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,661,482 times
This will be my first election in 20 years where I haven't voted straight republican

Old 10-06-2008, 01:32 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,341,599 times
No voting party lines is for idiot lemmings who are sad and a waste of space (hope I didn't offend anyone but if shoe fits sadly wear it ).

You wind up getting the worse people in office and they stay there because certain area's loyal to certain party's .

If Charles Manson ran as a Dem or Rep in some areas he would be elected by lemmings ONLY due to tittle . Lemmings are what is wrong with America.

Party can mean nothing but a tittle .

Show loyalty to your family but not these Partys as they have no loyalty to you.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:39 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,341,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet52698 View Post
This will be my first election in 20 years where I haven't voted straight republican

First time I voted I voted Rep than regreted it and voted Dem.

Now an Independent though here in my area its a corrupt Rep (Party means NOTHING here) stronghold and thus only vote Dem only because voting against every inept incumbent .

If they were Dems and same crooks would vote Rep. Being loyal to a tittle is for fools.

The REAL Reps/ Dems are GONE long gone . Now its mostly speech but no difference in real action.

I am glad you have left the Lemming club sadly most still belong there.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:41 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
No voting party lines is for idiot lemmings who are sad and a waste of space (hope I didn't offend anyone but if shoe fits sadly wear it ).

You wind up getting the worse people in office and they stay there because certain area's loyal to certain party's .

If Charles Manson ran as a Dem or Rep in some areas he would be elected by lemmings ONLY due to tittle . Lemmings are what is wrong with America.

Party can mean nothing but a tittle .

Show loyalty to your family but not these Partys as they have no loyalty to you.
I'm one of those idiot lemmings, & damn proud of it! GO OBAMA!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections