Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 09:06 AM

68,353 posts, read 54,544,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoppingCartLaw View Post
work!!!!
Nice concept!

Time for a POTUS who doesn't think sending jobs overseas is good for the economy.

Last edited by burdell; 10-07-2008 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 09:08 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,869,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoppingCartLaw View Post
Many college graduates became rich because of Reagan. There were a LOT of jobs during the Reagan era.
Reagan is probably the BEST U.S. president. The only people who didn't get rich are the ones sitting on their behind waiting for government handout.
What exactly do you call tax breaks for the rich?? I'll give you a clue: government handout. I'll admit there are a lot of people who don't work for various reasons. There is no significant number of people who "wait for a handout". That's absurd.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:10 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,869,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Nice concept!

Time for a POTUS whio doesn't think sending jobs overseas is good for the economy.
Good one... yes, Americans are hard working people when there are jobs to be had.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:12 AM

532 posts, read 910,243 times
How can I save $40,000 or more without a college education? Lets say I work at Wal-Mart and make $10/hr. If I paid NO taxes, I'd make about $20,000/year. Ok, I'll work 2 jobs. But then when will I be able to go to school and study?

Old 10-07-2008, 09:25 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,697,264 times
People also became rich during the Clinton era - probably more than in the Regan era. Plus, Clinton left a surplus and Regan did not. We all know now that too much debt is bad.

Trickle down assumes that the rich will reinvest in the US. Money has no boundaries and with most economies stagnating, the rich will likely invest where there is longer term growth (BRIC economies?) or simply keep the money if there is no good investment available. At this point in time, trickle down may not be a good answer.

The crying need is to inject more liquidity into the worldwide system now - and that is why we grudgingly allowed the powerful to bail out the rich. This gave us breathing room. We can talk about economic theories till the cows come home, but I think the course of action will be clearer sometime next year after we avoid the current crisis.

We have a credit card crisis looming for next year. It will be bad but may not be as bad as presumed since most banks have reserved significant amounts for "bad debts" which will cushion the blow.

I think we are in for hard times for at least 2-3 years regardless of who is president. If you must make this political, remember the un-needed Iraq war will cost us the same as the bailout. Also remember that the total per capita burden for taxpayer is about $13000 ($7000 for Iraq assuming $1 trillion, $800 billion for bailout). In light of this, PLEASE do not tell me that Bush lowered my taxes. Bad judgements cost a lot and from what I have seen, McCain seems to have extremely lousy judgement.

Last edited by calmdude; 10-07-2008 at 09:41 AM..

Old 10-07-2008, 09:37 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,658,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jest721 View Post
In Illinois he sponsored the "Welfare to Work" program that subsequently cut welfare by 80%. I think there is a broad misunderstanding that Dems somehow want people to avoid employment, but that is simply not the case.
Thanks for the info -- I will look into it, and that is a definate step in the right direction.

My experience with welare comes from two sources. The first is my mil who works for the government in taking care of the elderly within their homes. The setup sounds good -- lets keep the elderly in their homes as long as possible by contracting their relatives to care for them. The problem is that now there are many men and women ages 25-60 in the program that 'need' help. Of course, their disability is vague and as a nurse, my mil is not allowed to bust them for faking. But they do get paid.

My other experience is from my dhs cousin. We have welfare to work as well. She has three kids by different dads and has a burglary conviction and only sopardic contact with her kids. But, she is still 'mom' (so says the state) and welfare is hers. This is how she and her friends play the system. The rule is that you must work a certain amount of days in the year to remain elligible, she does. But on day 90 (or 120) she quits her job and she starts back at zero and again is eligible for benefits. She has been doing this for years.

The corruption is endemic, and my mil and the other nurses have complained to up the chain of command to our state senators. Noone wants to know about because to try to change the system is tantamount to saying "we don't like the poor", and there goes a reelection bid. It is all about the power, not about the good of the country.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:43 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,347,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyinhouston View Post
Was it voodoo economics or Reaganomics?....I guess it's all the same and it DOES NOT WORK.
Yeah, the so-called "trickle down" to the workers so that they share in the prosperity of the company doesn't work, because the money goes to CEO's and to profits - NOT the employees.

Did we really think it would work - that owners of these fat companies would actually pay their workers a decent wage, IF they could keep the money themselves??

Old 10-07-2008, 09:46 AM

34,286 posts, read 18,664,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
“Trickle down economics” is a utopian fantasy. It’s not the American way. Why? There’s no reason for money to “trickle down.” In America, we have “step up economics.”

What is “step up economics?” That’s when Americans step up and take responsibility for themselves and improve their skills via college, trade schools, apprenticeships, etc. Increasing your worth in the marketplace is the way to get a bigger piece of the pie. If you want it, earn it. That’s the American way.

Those people who simply float through life without post-secondary skills and expect prosperity to “trickle down” will only get the scraps from the table of prosperity.

That’s why I’ll be voting Libertarian!

Exactly! But, who creates the jobs in this country? Big and small business who are already taxed to death. Poor people don't create jobs or invest. They squander.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:48 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,243,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastlady View Post
How can I save $40,000 or more without a college education? Lets say I work at Wal-Mart and make $10/hr. If I paid NO taxes, I'd make about $20,000/year. Ok, I'll work 2 jobs. But then when will I be able to go to school and study?

A college education does not have to cost $40K. People should go to the college they can afford.

Many students work part time and go to school part time. I did this. Also, many majors have the opportunity to enroll in a co-op program or internship program. These jobs provide pre-graduation experience in the student's field and usually pay far better than a regular part time job. I also did this while in school.

Students who study hard and perform well often get academic scholarships. I got several over the course of my college career. The key is to apply for every single scholarship you can find! (BTW: Many of these I was not eligible for because I am a white, American, and a man.)

Also, you seem to assume that people are entitled to go to school full time for 4 years. This isn't reality. I did not graduate in 4 years because I had to work during school. It can be done, I’m living proof! Actually, the internships I was able to get helped jump-start my career after graduation.

A couple years after I earned my Bachelor's degree, I went back for a Masters degree to stay ahead of much of the competition in the job market. I simply cannot imagine my life without my college degrees. It was literally one of the best decisions and sacrifices I'll ever make.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:50 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,243,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
What exactly do you call tax breaks for the rich?? I'll give you a clue: government handout.
Taking less (a smaller negative) is not the same as a handout (a positive.)

Learn the difference between positive and negative numbers and this will make sense to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections