Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 09:53 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastlady View Post
How can I save $40,000 or more without a college education? Lets say I work at Wal-Mart and make $10/hr. If I paid NO taxes, I'd make about $20,000/year. Ok, I'll work 2 jobs. But then when will I be able to go to school and study?
No, you probably won't. If you grow up in a family that can afford college, you have a huge advantage. I did. I could never have done it on my own. Especially, today, when it's so expensive, it's even worse.

The one thing you might be able to do is take one course at a time, IF you can afford that. One course can be $1000 for 3 credits. I think that's what it is here in the state colleges. So, how does one get $1000 saved, working at Wal-Mart, paying for rent, paying high utilities, food, health insurance, etc.? I guess it could be discouraging, to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 10:03 AM

745 posts, read 1,297,738 times
Quote:
...As in his last ad, this one touts three bills that Obama "passed," and once again we're not told whether the bills were products of the Illinois Senate or the U.S. Senate. We'll fill you in: In this ad, all three pieces of legislation mentioned were passed in the Illinois Senate.

And never forget the dignity that comes from work. The first bill that's cited is the 1997 law that created the Temporary Assistance to Needy Families program in Illinois. The ad claims Obama "passed a law to move people from welfare to work, slashed the rolls by 80 percent." That's going too far. First, the law in question wasn't dreamed up out of thin air by its sponsors. It was the follow-up to the welfare reform act, the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act, that President Clinton signed on Aug. 26, 1996. That law gave states the ability to design their own welfare programs as long as they met certain federal requirements, including limits on how long recipients could get benefits. The bill that Obama cosponsored was Illinois' version.

And far from having "passed" the bill single-handedly, Obama was among five Senate sponsors of the measure, as we said previously. It was passed by both chambers of the Illinois Legislature and signed into law by the governor.

Welfare reform was successful in moving people off public assistance. There was about a 78 percent drop in the number of families receiving public assistance in Illinois between 1998 and 2006. But we don't think Obama alone, or even Obama and the four other sponsors of the Illinois law, can take credit for all of this. It was the federal law, hammered out by Clinton and the Republican Congress, that set the wheels in motion and forced states to act...

FactCheck.org: Obama's Work Claim

Obama has said that his primary opposition to the Clinton plan included: too much punitive welfare reform and not enough focus on retraining and new education, inadequate oversight, and blocking illegal immigrants from receiving benefits.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:05 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Yeah, the so-called "trickle down" to the workers so that they share in the prosperity of the company doesn't work, because the money goes to CEO's and to profits - NOT the employees.

Did we really think it would work - that owners of these fat companies would actually pay their workers a decent wage, IF they could keep the money themselves??
Why would employers choose to pay their employees more than the market rate for their labor? Wages are not set by employers; wages are set by the market. If an employer pays less than market rate, they will have a difficult time attracting and retaining employees.

It's all governed by supply and demand. If there are many workers with a particular skill set relative to the number of available jobs, wages will be low. This is why unskilled jobs pay so low. The demand is small for the number of applicants.

This is why it is important to increase one's qualifications and skill set: to make themselves more "valuable" in the job market.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:07 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,641,953 times
My niece is going to college now and this is how she does it. She works as a cna, takes out loans and due to her good grades she is getting some scholarships and work study. She also has made the choice to live at home, did not get pregnant, and she does not go out and party. She is nineteen and way ahead of the game. Oh, btw her parents are both college educated and cannot afford to float her (mainly because her dad is a small business owner getting crucified by taxes).

My dh and myself got through college by living at home, working two jobs in the summer. And dh was in the national guard as well as having some loans. This was the early 1990s but still -- my niece and her friends are managing it.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:12 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,122,354 times
You know maybe palin should consult with that witch doctor who helped her become Gov. of Alaska...maybe she'll have him 'touch' her in hopes of helping them win the WH....

Old 10-07-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
You know maybe palin should consult with that witch doctor who helped her become Gov. of Alaska...maybe she'll have him 'touch' her in hopes of helping them win the WH....

What the...

Way to stay on topic!

Old 10-07-2008, 10:27 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,979,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoppingCartLaw View Post
work!!!!
Are you really that clueless?? do you know how much a college education costs?????
if you waited until you could PAY outright for a college education working minimum wage jobs, you'd be a SENIOR CITIZEN before you could afford college!

Old 10-07-2008, 10:34 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,764,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
Exactly. Just because one of the major parties is totally wrong does not mean the other major party is right by default!

The two-party system is killing us!

Vote Libertarian!
I really think you are right. I am so tired of hearing the bad from the both sides.

I'm also tired of hearing about the economy. I understand it's big news and great for ratings, but it's throwing this country into a huge panic that's spreading beyond our shorelines.

I think if anyone had the guts right now, they'd admit that our choices are not real choices but rather vote for the one you fear less.

I know this idea will not be supported, but wouldn't it send out a strong message if NO ONE voted on Election Day.
No votes without honest well thought out answers from true well meaning choices.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLDanford View Post
Are you really that clueless?? do you know how much a college education costs?????
if you waited until you could PAY outright for a college education working minimum wage jobs, you'd be a SENIOR CITIZEN before you could afford college!
A senior citizen? Not quite. It's possible to go to school part time year round and finish in your mid-20's. I know this from experience.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:39 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
Why would employers choose to pay their employees more than the market rate for their labor? Wages are not set by employers; wages are set by the market. If an employer pays less than market rate, they will have a difficult time attracting and retaining employees.

It's all governed by supply and demand. If there are many workers with a particular skill set relative to the number of available jobs, wages will be low. This is why unskilled jobs pay so low. The demand is small for the number of applicants.

This is why it is important to increase one's qualifications and skill set: to make themselves more "valuable" in the job market.
This is one reason we need some regulation, so that companies cannot get tax breaks when they take their jobs elsewhere, for example. The market is not always the answer - sometimes, it's fairness.

What kind of world do we want to live in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections