Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 10:50 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,239,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
This is one reason we need some regulation, so that companies cannot get tax breaks when they take their jobs elsewhere, for example. The market is not always the answer - sometimes, it's fairness.

What kind of world do we want to live in?
This kind of logic will keep America's economy from evolving. We don't need regulation to maintain the status quo. We need to adapt. America's economy is evolving. The days of $25/hour unskilled factory jobs are over. Today's job market is about skills. Many Americans have failed to evolve with the changing job market. No amount of regulation or increased taxation on corporations can change this.

Please define economic fairness. Unfortunately, it is a question of values. Each person's values will determine what they think is "fair." "Fairness" is subjective and cannot be agreed upon by an entire nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 10:54 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,660,830 times
If increasing ones skill set is the key to a better economic future, what do you say to all the IT people and bankers who are now out of jobs? Are you saying they should retrain for a different industry? Obtaining more education is not the end all be all for solving the economic issues of this country.

It is profoundly more complicated than that IMO.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:03 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
A college education does not have to cost $40K. People should go to the college they can afford.

Many students work part time and go to school part time. I did this. Also, many majors have the opportunity to enroll in a co-op program or internship program. These jobs provide pre-graduation experience in the student's field and usually pay far better than a regular part time job. I also did this while in school.

Students who study hard and perform well often get academic scholarships. I got several over the course of my college career. The key is to apply for every single scholarship you can find! (BTW: Many of these I was not eligible for because I am a white, American, and a man.)

Also, you seem to assume that people are entitled to go to school full time for 4 years. This isn't reality. I did not graduate in 4 years because I had to work during school. It can be done, I’m living proof! Actually, the internships I was able to get helped jump-start my career after graduation.

A couple years after I earned my Bachelor's degree, I went back for a Masters degree to stay ahead of much of the competition in the job market. I simply cannot imagine my life without my college degrees. It was literally one of the best decisions and sacrifices I'll ever make.
Congratulations on working and sacrificing to make the best investment you will ever make - your future!

Many students who think they can't afford a college education are able to do so via a Co-op Program.
National Commission for Cooperative Education (http://www.co-op.edu/faq.htm - broken link)

Both of my kids earned their degrees that way, and the co-op work experience was invaluable in jump-starting their careers.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:10 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet52698 View Post
If increasing ones skill set is the key to a better economic future, what do you say to all the IT people and bankers who are now out of jobs? Are you saying they should retrain for a different industry? Obtaining more education is not the end all be all for solving the economic issues of this country.

It is profoundly more complicated than that IMO.
I would agree with this. Outsourcing is the way of the future, and no degree or experience will save your job as long as there are people in India willing to work for rupees on the dollar. And there are.

What will obama and mccain do to stop this? They say they want to, haven't really read how they plan to.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:28 AM

532 posts, read 908,621 times
I'm middle class so I see it this way:
Republicans will take my money away and give it to the rich.
Democrats will take my money away and give it to the poor.

I'd rather give it to the poor. I'd rather help someone who's failing than pad some fat cat's wallet. So I'll vote for the Democrat. If there was a viable 3rd party option, I would take it.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:13 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
This kind of logic will keep America's economy from evolving. We don't need regulation to maintain the status quo. We need to adapt. America's economy is evolving. The days of $25/hour unskilled factory jobs are over. Today's job market is about skills. Many Americans have failed to evolve with the changing job market. No amount of regulation or increased taxation on corporations can change this.

Please define economic fairness. Unfortunately, it is a question of values. Each person's values will determine what they think is "fair." "Fairness" is subjective and cannot be agreed upon by an entire nation.
For example, workers who actually DO the work would get decent wages; not wages that won't even keep them off the streets. Wages have stagnated since the 70's, as everything else has gone up.

Or, perhaps "fair trade" instead of "free trade" - look at our trade deficit. It should be balanced for each country.

Or, maybe companies would be given tax breaks to STAY in America, and not outsource their jobs.

Just IMO, of course.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:14 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastlady View Post
I'm middle class so I see it this way:
Republicans will take my money away and give it to the rich.
Democrats will take my money away and give it to the poor.

I'd rather give it to the poor. I'd rather help someone who's failing than pad some fat cat's wallet. So I'll vote for the Democrat. If there was a viable 3rd party option, I would take it.
Sounds practical. I'd much rather give money to the poor, instead of fat cats who have more than enough.

No more corporate welfare!

Old 10-07-2008, 12:23 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I would agree with this. Outsourcing is the way of the future, and no degree or experience will save your job as long as there are people in India willing to work for rupees on the dollar. And there are.

What will obama and mccain do to stop this? They say they want to, haven't really read how they plan to.
There is too much noise about useless issues like god, guns and gays. Politicians cannot get crowds to chant "education! education!" etc - it just isn't the same. In fact, with some people, there is almost a culture of not liking educated people.

USA became stronger because of relatively open markets but now other powers are rising and we are suffering and crying "no fair" is not the answer as there are other ways to approach the issue. As camping! days, India and China will keep on getting more jobs. When I was in China and India last year, I saw some Indian IT companies outsourcing to China who in turn outsourced manufacturing to Vietnam. Longer term, one cannot control flow of money from corporations to cheaper places - we need to get over that wish. Besides, both parties are funded by corporations, so this is not going to happen.

Sooo, in this global economy, the answer is for USA to invest in areas we are ahead in - bio sciences, robotics, micro-machines, etc etc. Couple that with education (generally for younger people) or practical training (laid off workers etc) and a lot of the unemployment can be gotten rid of in very productive ways. Even $50 billion could go a long way but we just spent $1 trillion in the useless war and another $800+ billion bailing out our system.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:36 PM

532 posts, read 908,621 times
I'm listening to NPR right now and they are talking about how much health insurance costs (if you can get approved)... $12,000/year! Holy crap. Why bother? You may as well roll the dice and hope you don't get sick or injured.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:05 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
There is too much noise about useless issues like god, guns and gays. Politicians cannot get crowds to chant "education! education!" etc - it just isn't the same. In fact, with some people, there is almost a culture of not liking educated people.

USA became stronger because of relatively open markets but now other powers are rising and we are suffering and crying "no fair" is not the answer as there are other ways to approach the issue. As camping! days, India and China will keep on getting more jobs. When I was in China and India last year, I saw some Indian IT companies outsourcing to China who in turn outsourced manufacturing to Vietnam. Longer term, one cannot control flow of money from corporations to cheaper places - we need to get over that wish. Besides, both parties are funded by corporations, so this is not going to happen.

Sooo, in this global economy, the answer is for USA to invest in areas we are ahead in - bio sciences, robotics, micro-machines, etc etc. Couple that with education (generally for younger people) or practical training (laid off workers etc) and a lot of the unemployment can be gotten rid of in very productive ways. Even $50 billion could go a long way but we just spent $1 trillion in the useless war and another $800+ billion bailing out our system.
Businesses will go where they can get the most profit, but why should the government make it any easier for them to do it? Why not impose tariffs on companies who outsource more then 35% of its employees? Or 20%, or 10%? Why give them a free ride plus the potential for bailout money if they should crash? My dhs industry routinely uses IT guys in India.....and the ridiculousness of it is that while the company is saving money in the very short term, the outsourcing causes more troubles then its worth. The time difference, refusal on the Indians part to take initiative when a problem arises (I believe that would be a cultural difference). At anyrate, one of our dear leaders needs to address this problem, as it is not going to go away due to big businesses patriotism. The middle class is in decline, and I would hate like hell that my children will not be able to aspire to my standard of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections