Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 10:50 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,925,154 times

Advertisements

If I were betting my bottom dollar at this point (vegas wager) I would have no choice but to put my money on Obama strictly from a fundamentally strategic point of view. However, make no doubt, this election will be a nail bitter and one McCain can still very easily win. The reason I say this?

The polls have been proven time and time again to be wrong and often wrong in favor of the democrats. Here is why. Everyone knows about 65% of people under aged 30 support and will state they plan to vote for Obama. They get polled and entered into the data. Only problem is only 22% of them actually show up and vote! The 35% that plan to vote for McCain in the under age 30 group? 41% actually show up to vote.

Also, there is the "McCain factor." Call him what you will, go ahead. BUT, he is a true free spirit and make no doubt, that ole fart has afew tricks left up his sleave before this election is over. The biggest one? I believe the exposure of Obama and the democrats from 2005 on, who shot down his proposal of strong regulations on the sub-prime market. Obama actually sued to keep the shady loans going, as it "offered housing to poor minorities." even though we know now it cost them , not helped them. This aspect of the mess has yet to to be played out. McCain saw this coming and tried tremendously to stop it. He has yet to take credit for that, but he will in the coming weeks. Not to mention the likes of Obama were at the very root of this problem and added fuel to the fire via lawsuits to stop any lenders from blocking sub-prime loans. This has to be exposed and rest assured it will be!

A lot of people really think they want to vote for Obama, but once they get behind that curtain and have to select, they will change their minds. More people then you might think. I meet these type of people every day. There is still a TON of fence sitters out there, who respond to the polls stating they plan to vote Obama, but truly are not sure.

This election will come down to Ohio again. It will be very close and we will all be up late to see who wins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 10:58 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,248,699 times
Don't forget the Bradley Effect: Bradley effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-30-2008, 10:59 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,445,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
If I were betting my bottom dollar at this point (vegas wager) I would have no choice but to put my money on Obama strictly from a fundamentally strategic point of view. However, make no doubt, this election will be a nail bitter and one McCain can still very easily win. The reason I say this?

The polls have been proven time and time again to be wrong and often wrong in favor of the democrats. Here is why. Everyone knows about 65% of people under aged 30 support and will state they plan to vote for Obama. They get polled and entered into the data. Only problem is only 22% of them actually show up and vote! The 35% that plan to vote for McCain in the under age 30 group? 41% actually show up to vote.

Also, there is the "McCain factor." Call him what you will, go ahead. BUT, he is a true free spirit and make no doubt, that ole fart has afew tricks left up his sleave before this election is over. The biggest one? I believe the exposure of Obama and the democrats from 2005 on, who shot down his proposal of strong regulations on the sub-prime market. Obama actually sued to keep the shady loans going, as it "offered housing to poor minorities." even though we know now it cost them , not helped them. This aspect of the mess has yet to to be played out. McCain saw this coming and tried tremendously to stop it. He has yet to take credit for that, but he will in the coming weeks. Not to mention the likes of Obama were at the very root of this problem and added fuel to the fire via lawsuits to stop any lenders from blocking sub-prime loans. This has to be exposed and rest assured it will be!

A lot of people really think they want to vote for Obama, but once they get behind that curtain and have to select, they will change their minds. More people then you might think. I meet these type of people every day. There is still a TON of fence sitters out there, who respond to the polls stating they plan to vote Obama, but truly are not sure.

This election will come down to Ohio again. It will be very close and we will all be up late to see who wins.

Take a look here: Electoral-vote.com: President, Senate, House Updated Daily

Obama is currently projected to get 286 electoral votes even while losing Ohio....he does not need to win there.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:01 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,210,040 times
I agree, except for this:
Quote:
I believe the exposure of Obama and the democrats from 2005 on, who shot down his proposal of strong regulations on the sub-prime market. Obama actually sued to keep the shady loans going, as it "offered housing to poor minorities." even though we know now it cost them , not helped them. This aspect of the mess has yet to to be played out. McCain saw this coming and tried tremendously to stop it. He has yet to take credit for that, but he will in the coming weeks. Not to mention the likes of Obama were at the very root of this problem and added fuel to the fire via lawsuits to stop any lenders from blocking sub-prime loans. This has to be exposed and rest assured it will be!
"The likes of Obama" - it's deregulation put into place by Phil Gramm that set the wheels in motion for this situation (not to mention several hyper-leaps in technology).

How did McCain try to stop the subprime mess - could you give a link or two please?

Obama suing - are you talking about the 1994 redlining case against Citibank? Yes, how terrible of him! Housing discrimination is good thing, right? Except those pesky liberals made it illegal

"fuel to the fire via lawsuits to stop any lenders from blocking sub-prime loans" - I dont understand this, could you give a link, please?

Old 09-30-2008, 11:01 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,445,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizbin View Post
Don't forget the Bradley Effect: Bradley effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to this study the Bradley effect has disappeared since the mid 90's

The disappearing Bradley effect

Old 09-30-2008, 11:02 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,273,312 times
I think it is true. I also think there are a lot of closet racists out there. It is McCain's biggest asset.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:07 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,925,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I agree, except for this:
"The likes of Obama" - it's deregulation put into place by Phil Gramm that set the wheels in motion for this situation (not to mention several hyper-leaps in technology).

How did McCain try to stop the subprime mess - could you give a link or two please?

Obama suing - are you talking about the 1994 redlining case against Citibank? Yes, how terrible of him! Housing discrimination is good thing, right? Except those pesky liberals made it illegal

"fuel to the fire via lawsuits to stop any lenders from blocking sub-prime loans" - I dont understand this, could you give a link, please?

Old 09-30-2008, 11:10 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,982,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I think it is true. I also think there are a lot of closet racists out there. It is McCain's biggest asset.
Yup I agree. But I prefer close elections (as long as the Supreme Court doesn't end up deciding them). More people vote when it's close. And candidates who pull too far ahead can become complacent.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:11 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,273,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Yup I agree. But I prefer close elections (as long as the Supreme Court doesn't end up deciding them). More people vote when it's close. And candidates who pull too far ahead can become complacent.
Given the narrowness of the last two, it didn't stop the incumbent from behaving as if he had a landslide mandate.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:12 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,695,308 times
At the end of the day, the question to ask will be "are you better off now than 8 yrs ago". The answer will be easy no matter how much an "outsider" McCain and Republicans pretend to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections