Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 08:42 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,019,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by remedy a4 View Post
WOW your note is beyond comprehension

the race card, "when I need it"?

good lord, that's the most racist and xenophobic thing I've ever heard- continue to justify your racism by assuming that black people have to keep feelings repressed and speak up only, "when needed"- no right or reason to stick up for themselves regularly when whites continue to be hateful and derogatory
Remedy: If the whole world is out there to Get Black People, how do you explain that Obama is being voted for by white people all over this country?

Seems you have a "gotcha" mentality - and are walking around w/ this defensive posture that people cannot decide to like or dislike another person based on anything other than his/her COLOR. How shallow! And how truly aggrieved a position to take!

If a person espouses beliefs and values I don't espouse, it doesn't make a tinker's dam what color he/she is - we ain't gonna hit it off!!!! People of like mind stick together, but what you are saying is people of like color stick together. Maybe that is how YOU operate . . . but that is not how the rest of the world operates - or Obama would not be a candidate for President!!!

Your view of the world is VERY distorted!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 08:43 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,723,624 times
I'm not being racist and saying that. I'm saying that if you are subject to racism, you will see it at some point in your life and you will need to defend yourself against racism.

Repress your feelings???? Stretching again.

Yeah, speak up against racism, when you need to, when it is warranted. Not when it's not. Another poster wrote that it's like the boy who cried wolf. He or she is not far off in that comparison.

Now, you 're accusing me of being racist, when I said to be careful when you "assume"? That is beyond comprehension?? Ok, I'll spell it out - When you "assume", you make an "ass" out of "u" and "me".

And that's not being racist either. No one needs to put words in my mouth. Trust me, they flow freely enough.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:46 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,250,977 times
The question then becomes are African Americans who do not vote for McCain 'racist'?

IMHO, of course not!

Why cannot we, as intelligent (hopefully), autonomous beings, simply study the issues and vote for the person who most represents us. I would never think that an African American who voted for Obama was racist against McCain, and I would expect the same respect when I cast my vote.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:49 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,293,119 times
So liberals would fight for you're right to burn the flag but someone putting a sign up in opposition is just horrifying. Where is the ACLU when you need them?

Old 10-09-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
The question then becomes are African Americans who do not vote for McCain 'racist'?

IMHO, of course not!

Why cannot we, as intelligent (hopefully), autonomous beings, simply study the issues and vote for the person who most represents us. I would never think that an African American who voted for Obama was racist against McCain, and I would expect the same respect when I cast my vote.
This is why people feel they have to be PC at all costs, b/c logic has somehow gotten lost w/ a segment of people in this country. There seem to be a group of people (regardless of color) who view everyone else thru/ a prism of grievance . . . and make assumptions based on their OWN prejudices. It is a stereotype, you know, to assume all white people who are not voting for a black candidate are doing so b/c he is black. That is a prejudiced view and a stereotype about white people. And it seems - Southerners get tagged w/ this more often than any other group. Yet, the South is more integrated than any other part of America.

Go figure.

The only reason the sign in question rated a story was b/c someone couldn't wait to point out that this was a Southerner who MUST BE A RACIST. Had that sign been planted in Maine, no one would have given it a second thought - they would have just said - well, there is an ADAMANT REPUBLICAN.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:03 AM

167 posts, read 471,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Remedy: If the whole world is out there to Get Black People, how do you explain that Obama is being voted for by white people all over this country?

Seems you have a "gotcha" mentality - and are walking around w/ this defensive posture that people cannot decide to like or dislike another person based on anything other than his/her COLOR. How shallow! And how truly aggrieved a position to take!

If a person espouses beliefs and values I don't espouse, it doesn't make a tinker's dam what color he/she is - we ain't gonna hit it off!!!! People of like mind stick together, but what you are saying is people of like color stick together. Maybe that is how YOU operate . . . but that is not how the rest of the world operates - or Obama would not be a candidate for President!!!

Your view of the world is VERY distorted!!!!!
I never said the whole world was out to get black people- plenty of white people support Obama- for a variety of reasons

in terms of people of like color sticking together- absolutely- that happens with people of all skin colors- I do have to LOL at people who say that they "don't see race"- that's kind of bogus- I deal with all races and it's clearly something I notice and is a part of life whether you un-repetant white people want to admit it or not- over the course of history, skin color has come to represent and detail years and years worth of everything from oppression to victory- and it should not be taken as lightly as some of you that claim "race card" when a certain skin color decides to speak up for themselves

you won't hear Main St politician say that of course, because they are out to get votes and get elected, but I know I'm not the only one who feels this way- regardless of who you choose to be friends, work with, play with or allow to park in your parking lot

Old 10-09-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remedy a4 View Post
I never said the whole world was out to get black people- plenty of white people support Obama- for a variety of reasons

in terms of people of like color sticking together- absolutely- that happens with people of all skin colors- I do have to LOL at people who say that they "don't see race"- that's kind of bogus- I deal with all races and it's clearly something I notice and is a part of life whether you un-repetant white people want to admit it or not- over the course of history, skin color has come to represent and detail years and years worth of everything from oppression to victory- and it should not be taken as lightly as some of you that claim "race card" when a certain skin color decides to speak up for themselves

you won't hear Main St politician say that of course, because they are out to get votes and get elected, but I know I'm not the only one who feels this way- regardless of who you choose to be friends, work with, play with or allow to park in your parking lot
You just proved my point, Remedy. YOU THINK THIS WAY so you assume the rest of us do, too.

This really concerns me! What you have stated is clearly in opposition to the way the world works! Yes, there may be some people (of all races) who hold prejudices against other people! But what you are stating says that I, as an employer, am incapable of hiring someone based on his/her qualifications, w/ no thought about race, for example. Now that is very insulting. That sounds like someone who lives his/her life using race as a way to "provide an excuse" for every negative thing that occurs in his/her life. Your neighborhor doesn't like you? Oh, well, it can't be b/c you are a jerk - it has to be b/c you are a person of color. You didn't get that job? It has to be b/c the guy hiring is a racist - not b/c someone else had more experience.

I guess I could have spent my life assuming the reason anything negative occurred in my life was b/c I am FEMALE. Yeah, some things may have been influenced by my gender . . . but NOT EVERYTHING!!!!!

Last edited by brokensky; 10-09-2008 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 10-09-2008, 09:16 AM

500 posts, read 700,165 times
I could really use a person like remedy a4 at my job. He can help me climb up the ladders very quickly, because if the bosses disagree with me, I'd pull the race card, and I'll have him backing me up.

Me: Hi, I would like a company car + company stock option + free lunch
Bosses: Um no
Me: OMG you hate Arabs, I'm telling

Old 10-09-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Arab View Post
I could really use a person like remedy a4 at my job. He can help me climb up the ladders very quickly, because if the bosses disagree with me, I'd pull the race card, and I'll have him backing me up.

Me: Hi, I would like a company car + company stock option + free lunch
Bosses: Um no
Me: OMG you hate Arabs, I'm telling
Thank you for putting that in such succinct terms, CA.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:57 AM

105 posts, read 220,815 times
That is just stupid. Anyone doing this on either side is just retarded. Racism maybe..ignorant YES!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections