Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 07:47 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times

Advertisements

Full disclosure. I'm a staunch liberal and if Hillary Clinton is the Democratic nominee, I'll vote for her. But only because the idea of a Republican President terrifies me. Then again, Hillary is more of a Republican than Democrat anyway. But setting that aside...

If you watched the 2008 Democratic primaries, you probably noticed something interesting. There were about a dozen or so people running for the Democratic nomination. Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, and a bunch of other people. Hillary was the clear front runner. Obama was barely polling in the double digits. But each time someone dropped out, Hillary's numbers never improved. Some of the other candidates' numbers would inch up, but not Hillary's. You could divide the candidates into two categories. Hillary and Anybody But Hillary.

The same thing seems to be playing out now. You have Democrats who are strong supporters of Hillary and then you have Democrats desperately searching for an alternative. Enter Elizabeth Warren, a Democrat who says all the things the left wing base wants to hear AND she's a woman. Hillary has two big advantages over people like Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders, Jim Webb, and Martin O'Malley. One, she brings Bill Clinton. I think there are Democrats nostalgic for the 90s and want Bill to have a role in government again. Second, she's a woman. Democrats are excited about the prospect of electing America's first female President. They've had other women run for President, but no one has ever had a realistic chance of winning until now. That's why Warren is so appealing to liberals. It isn't just that she says the things they want to hear. It's that she can effectively cancel out one of the biggest rationales Hillary has for her candidacy. In that sense, the excitement Warren generates on the left has more to do with dislike for Hillary then for Warren herself. After all, much of what Warren has been saying is stuff that Bernie Sanders has been saying for years. Take away Hillary's name and gender and what do you have left? There are other Democrats with more experience and more accomplishments than Hillary. I can't think of a single issue that she's shown any passion for. Not banking reform, not foreign policy, not the environment, not education, not health care, nothing. Her entire candidacy comes down to "vote for me and you get your first female President and you get Bill Clinton back in The White House." Warren may or may not run. But it doesn't change the Democrats' problem. The party has two halves. Pro-Hillary and Anti-Hillary. We know Republicans despise Hillary. But what does it say when half of her own party hates her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 08:00 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
That she is too pro corporate, and has a good chance of losing the primary. As such, she makes a great target for the right to waste a ton of time with, only to end up facing someone else.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:43 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,980,764 times
I will back Rand Paul and only Rand Paul. If the GOP screws him over like they did his father I will again hope for the worst candidate possible and the worst outcome possible. In 2012 I saw that has Barack Obama being reelected and in 2016 Hillary Clinton represents that. I'm tired of having my freedoms and rights decided by the mindless masses who don't understand the basic premises of our republic. I don't want someone who might make this crappy system incrementally better, I want the leftists to get their every desire and their whim so perhaps the people can one day wake up. We get the government we deserve, not the one we need.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."-H.L. Mencken

Old 03-31-2015, 08:46 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
lol.

What difference does it make who is leading the organized crime syndicate of our time, The Democratic Party?

Old 03-31-2015, 09:12 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
I am afraid to say this......I said this the first time around and we got President Obama. Like pulling a rabbit out of the hat, only person available is likely looking to live like the Europeans do........ashamed to be American.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:42 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
She's 69 and looks every minute of it.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:11 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
She's 69 and looks every minute of it.
She's also limping at times.....

Old 04-01-2015, 12:20 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times
Voting for a woman simply because she is a woman is a stupid and destructive as voting for a black man simply because he is a black man. The world is a complicated and dangerous place. The country is polarized, broke and exhausted. It is dangerous and self-destructive, defies the complicated reality of the world in which we now live, and defies common sense to vote for an individual simply because he or she will be an historic president.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:26 AM

7,506 posts, read 5,753,469 times
She won't make it out of Iowa.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:36 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Perhaps Harry or the next Dem leader should start telling lies about her on the senate floor, as he did for Romney. As he said, it worked.
Would they do that to one of their own? Depends on who the competition is perhaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections