Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2013, 12:53 PM

99,555 posts, read 4,491,552 times

Advertisements

Will be quite interesting to see how this all plays out over the next couple of years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/20/us...-war.html?_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 09:24 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
They are expending all their energy fighting one another, and incumbents are running scared they will primaried. It gives them little time to concentrate on challengers, and even less time to do what they were sent to Washington for.

Were it not for Democrats, no one in Congress would lift a finger to do anything for the country.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:30 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
What I cannot understand is why any Tea Party candidate ran for office under the guise of being a Republicans at all. Why didn't they just remain the third party alternative? Any crazy radical that was going to support them, was going to support them either way.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:47 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
Default It was inevitable

The implosion of the GOP was predictable the moment Bush waved goodbye to the collective delight and sigh of relief by the entire free world and this nation elected its first black President. The party of Dixie went berserk. They downgraded themselves significantly with the tea party, then reduced their role in government to Neanderthal obstructionists. Can't remember the last time they contributed to anything to help solve the problems which plague this country. They created many problems under Bush, and strive to continue that ineptness during President Obama presidency. Their candidates reek. One gets the impression that they can't even stand to look at each other.

The trend is clear though. The GOP, and its bigoted, outdated, pathetic agenda, are in a free fall. As their ship sinks, they are understandably repulsed by each other. I hope the ship continues to sink, taking all these current GOP rejects with them. The presence of the tea party is a clear indication that the GOP is lost. They have no answers, only a negative narrative that people in this society are sick of.

I hope the casualties in the GOP Civil War are severe enough that the party is REPLACED by a far more progressive, smarter, non-bigoted alternative. It's obvious that the GOP as they have always existed, cannot continue forward.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
The implosion of the GOP was predictable the moment Bush waved goodbye to the collective delight and sigh of relief by the entire free world and this nation elected its first black President. The party of Dixie went berserk. They downgraded themselves significantly with the tea party, then reduced their role in government to Neanderthal obstructionists. Can't remember the last time they contributed to anything to help solve the problems which plague this country. They created many problems under Bush, and strive to continue that ineptness during President Obama presidency. Their candidates reek. One gets the impression that they can't even stand to look at each other.

The trend is clear though. The GOP, and its bigoted, outdated, pathetic agenda, are in a free fall. As their ship sinks, they are understandably repulsed by each other. I hope the ship continues to sink, taking all these current GOP rejects with them. The presence of the tea party is a clear indication that the GOP is lost. They have no answers, only a negative narrative that people in this society are sick of.

I hope the casualties in the GOP Civil War are severe enough that the party is REPLACED by a far more progressive, smarter, non-bigoted alternative. It's obvious that the GOP as they have always existed, cannot continue forward.

Amen to that!
Cannot rep you again...

Old 10-21-2013, 03:15 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Amen to that!
Cannot rep you again...
Well, he is basically wrong.

The Republican party was splitting apart long before Obama was even nominated.

The real fissure in the Republican party. Came from people like Ron Paul. I don't know if you recall Ron Paul and the 2008 primaries. But more than anyone else, Ron Paul split the Republican party.

The second fissure in the Republican party. Was that Bush basically destroyed the Neo-cons because of his wars and massive debt. Then the Republican torch was passed along to John McCain(a liberal), and then to Mitt Romney(a liberal). Who are both disliked by the Republican base.

The Republican base loves Ted Cruz. The Republican party doesn't like Ted Cruz. Because Ted Cruz doesn't appeal to moderates. Which is a problem. Because the Republican party needs the support of the Republican base, because thats where the money is. But at the same time, the Republican party needs to separate itself from the Republican base to appeal to moderates.

I think trying to chalk up the tea party or the government shutdown, simply to Obama being black. Is really ignoring the facts. The Republican party began splitting long before Obama was ever elected. And its unlikely that the Republicans wouldn't have gone nuts had Hilary Clinton been elected instead. I mean, do you remember how they treated her husband Bill Clinton? You know, the last president in charge when the government was shut down. You know, right after Clinton was elected. There was a massive change in Congress in 1994. Called the "Republican Revolution".

Republican Revolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-21-2013, 04:37 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Amen to that!
Cannot rep you again...
I'll add to the rep on the post... Plus the TNuts impact is helping Dems in many ways.

GOP

Old 10-21-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Well, he is basically wrong.

The Republican party was splitting apart long before Obama was even nominated.

The real fissure in the Republican party. Came from people like Ron Paul. I don't know if you recall Ron Paul and the 2008 primaries. But more than anyone else, Ron Paul split the Republican party.

The second fissure in the Republican party. Was that Bush basically destroyed the Neo-cons because of his wars and massive debt. Then the Republican torch was passed along to John McCain(a liberal), and then to Mitt Romney(a liberal). Who are both disliked by the Republican base.

The Republican base loves Ted Cruz. The Republican party doesn't like Ted Cruz. Because Ted Cruz doesn't appeal to moderates. Which is a problem. Because the Republican party needs the support of the Republican base, because thats where the money is. But at the same time, the Republican party needs to separate itself from the Republican base to appeal to moderates.

I think trying to chalk up the tea party or the government shutdown, simply to Obama being black. Is really ignoring the facts. The Republican party began splitting long before Obama was ever elected. And its unlikely that the Republicans wouldn't have gone nuts had Hilary Clinton been elected instead. I mean, do you remember how they treated her husband Bill Clinton? You know, the last president in charge when the government was shut down. You know, right after Clinton was elected. There was a massive change in Congress in 1994. Called the "Republican Revolution".

Republican Revolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You points are well taken and I cannot disagree, but the election of Obama was the straw that broke the camel's back for the GOP/Tepublicans. Lee Atwater's Southern Strategy was once again applied as fear mongering to appeal to bigots. I also gave a thumbs up to the reference the poster made to the inevitable demise of the ideolcially radical right that has no place in governing a democratic and diverse USA.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
and I would voice my opinion this way: Redshadow is about right. Does this mean the party is over, heaven's no. Yes, Ron Paul did some damage, but Rand might be the answer. Yes, the party is split between moderates or as some call them, liberals and conservatives, but that isn't new and both parties have 2 sides. This is the way it should be, always has been and always will be. I might add, not all Tea Party members are Republicans and certainly not all conservatives are Tea Party members. Too many people seem to think labeling is the way to go, not realizing there are many degrees and views. I, for one, am an example of degrees and can not be honestly labeled. I am fiscally conservative, have a huge problem with illegals, even though I do realize we can not export all of them and some are hard workers and have contributed to our society. I am pro life, in most cases and in favor of capitol punishment, only in extreme cases. I am also in favor of little gun control, but believe in background checks.

The other 1/2 of me: I am pro equal rights for all, regardless of what group they may fall into: I believe in live and let live. I am not opposed to legalizing pot. I am tired of our involvement in every foreign confrontation. I do believe the health system needs revising, but I am not in favor of Obamacare because I can see it isn't going to work the way he try to sell it to the American people. I believe some people need and will always need government assistance and we should do our best to help them have a decent life, but I don't think everyone deserves the same life style. I think people who have worked hard should be allowed to keep most of what they have earned. Food stamps should have restrictions on what can be purchased with them and people on welfare need to do something, unless they are physically disabled to earn their money, even if it is picking up trash. Plus there should be a limit to how many children a woman can have and still get more welfare.

So, where does that put me?

Old 10-21-2013, 10:20 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:
What I cannot understand is why any Tea Party candidate ran for office under the guise of being a Republicans at all. Why didn't they just remain the third party alternative? Any crazy radical that was going to support them, was going to support them either way.
Because the way our electoral system is set up - winner take all system, as opposed to a proportional representation system (such as in some European countries), 3rd parties don't have much of an electoral chance. It's just more pragmatic for activists of a particular stripe to penetrate an existing political party and take it over. Gotta give the Tea Partiers credit for recognizing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections