Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-13-2008, 06:42 AM
 
224 posts, read 376,011 times
Reputation: 81

Advertisements

This has been a common excuse given by ACORN apologists.. But according to them it's incorrect.

Now what would be the motive in getting all those bogus registrations (and hopefully votes)?????


From an internal memo from ACORN's directors, Bertha Lewis and Steve Kest, to its political allies:

"Fact: Our canvassers are paid by the hour, not by the card, so there is NO incentive for them to falsify cards. ACORN has a zero-tolerance policy for deliberately falsifying registrations, and in the relatively rare cases where our internal quality controls have identified this happening we have fired the workers involved and turned them in to election officials and law-enforcement."

ACORN Rallies Its Troops - Marc Ambinder (http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/10/acorn_rallies_its_troops.php - broken link)

An ACORN Representative was also interviewed on Fox yesterday and he stated that canvassers are NOT paid by the piece.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-13-2008, 06:50 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,879 posts, read 77,037,280 times
Reputation: 22750
Well, that indicates to me that the people who seek out jobs to go out and register voters under ACORN'S auspices have a personal agenda, and not just one for wh/ they are being paid to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2008, 06:59 AM
 
224 posts, read 376,011 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, that indicates to me that the people who seek out jobs to go out and register voters under ACORN'S auspices have a personal agenda, and not just one for wh/ they are being paid to do.

I would agree with that.

How perfect that they would find an organization which would enable and be sympathetic to that agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2008, 07:03 AM
 
808 posts, read 1,142,976 times
Reputation: 173
Canvassers have to register at least 20 people each time they go out to get paid according to one of the canvassers that was interviewed. She (and quite a few others) admitted that on days she didn't want to go out she filled the cards out herself from the phone book. Other canvassers admitted to doing similar things. Acorn was foolish to pay people to canvass because when you do that the canvassers are motivated by MONEY, not the desire to properly register new voters. While there definitely WAS registration fraud it was committed by individual canvassers and NOT Acorn. Acorn probably should have foreseen something like this happening and probably knew it would in a few cases but I doubt any organization would have foreseen just how many of the canvassers were dishonest, greedy and would commit registration fraud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2008, 07:08 AM
 
224 posts, read 376,011 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centaurmyst View Post
Canvassers have to register at least 20 people each time they go out to get paid according to one of the canvassers that was interviewed. She (and quite a few others) admitted that on days she didn't want to go out she filled the cards out herself from the phone book. Other canvassers admitted to doing similar things. Acorn was foolish to pay people to canvass because when you do that the canvassers are motivated by MONEY, not the desire to properly register new voters. While there definitely WAS registration fraud it was committed by individual canvassers and NOT Acorn. Acorn probably should have foreseen something like this happening and probably knew it would in a few cases but I doubt any organization would have foreseen just how many of the canvassers were dishonest, greedy and would commit registration fraud.

The proof I posted clearly states that they are paid by the hour.. NOT the piece.

I've read your posts and although I disagree with you often, I find your arguments to be well thought out and fair minded.

I don't understand why you refuse to understand ACORN does not pay by the piece...Or they are lying about how they pay people...

Either way, there is fraud going on.

I would be much more open to your argument if you can provide a source, just as I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2008, 07:09 AM
 
78 posts, read 124,706 times
Reputation: 35
Given ACORNS horrid past, why the heck are they allowed to have ANY influence or interactions in ANY election process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2008, 07:11 AM
 
Location: OH->FL->NJ
16,924 posts, read 12,465,964 times
Reputation: 8855
It is probably both.

Some hope in "vote early and often" and some "sho me the money" depending upon individual circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2008, 07:15 AM
 
808 posts, read 1,142,976 times
Reputation: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1878 View Post
The proof I posted clearly states that they are paid by the hour.. NOT the piece.

I've read your posts and although I disagree with you often, I find your arguments to be well thought out and fair minded.

I don't understand why you refuse to understand ACORN does not pay by the piece...Or they are lying about how they pay people...

Either way, there is fraud going on.

I would be much more open to your argument if you can provide a source, just as I have.
I mistakenly thought they paid by the piece a few days ago. I was wrong on that. However, that isn't what I said this time. The canvassers are expected to turn in 20 new registrations per day they go out. That isn't the same as being paid per-piece...it's more like a quota they are supposed to meet. This was reported from an actual canvasser who admitted to committing registration fraud. Since she admitted to breaking the law it's highly unlikely she would lie about the 20 registration quota.

This whole scandal is about individual canvassers knowingly committing fraud. Acorn is a victim in this mess as well because they were also defrauded by some unscrupulous employees. Acorn does need to come up with some better safeguards against these kinds of things happening, and for that much they are responsible for. They were foolish and perhaps a bit irresponsible at the most. The ones who are actually guilty of committing fraud are those greedy and lazy canvassers who wanted to get paid for not doing the work. I think it's important that we direct the blame in the right place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2008, 07:17 AM
 
224 posts, read 376,011 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centaurmyst View Post
I mistakenly thought they paid by the piece a few days ago. I was wrong on that. However, that isn't what I said this time. The canvassers are expected to turn in 20 new registrations per day they go out. That isn't the same as being paid per-piece...it's more like a quota they are supposed to meet. This was reported from an actual canvasser who admitted to committing registration fraud. Since she admitted to breaking the law it's highly unlikely she would lie about the 20 registration quota.

This whole scandal is about individual canvassers knowingly committing fraud. Acorn is a victim in this mess as well because they were also defrauded by some unscrupulous employees. Acorn does need to come up with some better safeguards against these kinds of things happening, and for that much they are responsible for. They were foolish and perhaps a bit irresponsible at the most. The ones who are actually guilty of committing fraud are those greedy and lazy canvassers who wanted to get paid for not doing the work. I think it's important that we direct the blame in the right place.
Please stop repeating this excuse unless you have a source or proof to back it up?

I'm surprised you are not upset by this and would give ACORN an excuse when they are so clearly the problem as they have been for a long time....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2008, 07:32 AM
 
808 posts, read 1,142,976 times
Reputation: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1878 View Post
Please stop repeating this excuse unless you have a source or proof to back it up?

I'm surprised you are not upset by this and would give ACORN an excuse when they are so clearly the problem as they have been for a long time....
I can probably find a few sources to link to for you. I've been reading a lot of reports about this whole debacle. What I'm saying is true about it being some of the canvassers who are responsible for committing the fraud.

It's perfectly understandable to be angry over this. All I'm saying is that you should direct that anger where the blame belongs. Be mad at Acorn for not being more careful in avoiding something like this from happening, but be fair about who really is guilty of fraud. I'll try to find some sources for you to read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:31 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top