Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you describe your Political AND Spiritual affiliation?
Republican, Religious, Theist, and Christian 15 11.72%
Republican, Religious, Theist, non-Christian 0 0%
Republican, Religious, Theist 1 0.78%
Republican, Theist, Christian, but not anti-Religious 3 2.34%
Republican, Theist, Christian, anti-Religious 3 2.34%
Republican, Theist 0 0%
Republican, Agnostic 3 2.34%
Republican, Atheist 6 4.69%
Independent who actually has voted that way in last 1, 2, or 3 elections 21 16.41%
Democrat, Religious, Theist, and Christian 20 15.63%
Democrat, Religious, Theist, non-Christian 2 1.56%
Democrat, Religious, Theist 2 1.56%
Democrat, Theist, Christian, but not anti-Religious 3 2.34%
Democrat, Theist, Christian, anti-Religious 5 3.91%
Democrat, Theist 12 9.38%
Democrat, Agnostic 22 17.19%
Democrat, Atheist 10 7.81%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 11:10 AM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times

Advertisements

This is a poll that I think fairly covers all the bases and I think it will for once and for all describe where we're coming from. Votes are not made public.

All I'm seeing lately on this subforum is an attack on the voters' and the Candidates' morals.

So I think it's fair to see where we are coming from. I want to preface the fact that I don't judge you where you stand with regards to religion or non religion or with regards to political affiliation. But it might be interesting to know. I believe that whether you are spiritual or Religious, Christian or non-Christian, Agnostic, or Athiest, you can still be moral or not. My definition of Moral is "Does it work." If there were a very low number of athiests in prison, for example, I'd be interested in what they're doing right. I want to know the same for party affiliation. Is one party expressing a better morality over another? What's working, what's not?

I'm gonna say that I'm a Republican who's a Theist, a Christian, not necessarily religious, but also NOT anti-religious.

Last edited by McGowdog; 10-10-2008 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 11:22 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,440,538 times
I would consider myself a Christian, although I know some Christians are hypocritical, and I try not to be a hypocrite, but maybe I am sometimes. Just keep working on my life a day at a time. I am for Obama because I believe that he is for the underdog. I have always been an underdog. I do not believe in certain things such as abortion, or gay marriage, but I do not believe in judging others who choose to do those things. I feel God gives everyone free will. I feel that I can judge no one because I am a sinner and God is the only one worthy of judging anyone because he is without sin.

I feel that a candidate for any office cannot please everyone. I believe while they may have their own personal beliefs about these things, it would be difficult for them to win an election if they came out and denounced things vehemently. They would never win. And it brings me back to free will for all. Obama, for me, seems to be genuine and I feel the best choice for our country in these difficult times. However, it will be difficult for anyone to get us out of this mess.

This is my personal opinion only.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:37 AM

Thank you for describing that. So I would believe that many Theists (believes in a Creator) that are also Christian and Religious ( I believe that to be people who affiliate with a church and may or may not believe in doctrine that goes beyond the Gospel or the Bible, but that's my opinion of religion of course- not saying it's good or bad as a whole ), think they are doing the right thing by voting Republican.

But you bring up a good point about the whole free-will aspects of Spirituality. Can we really govern ourselves? I think that Carpenter from a couple of thousand years ago said no, we cannot.

So maybe the Democrats are right. I don't know. I'll admit I'm confused. I do know this; there are some Democrats that actually believe in God. There are some athiests who actually have wonderful morals and believe in Human Beings!

Regardless of my affiliation, it has to work for me. I'm interested if your works for you or not, but if you're doing something that I'm not doing and what you do works very well out in the real world, I'm willing to be open-minded. Know what I mean?

Old 10-10-2008, 11:42 AM

Well, to be honest with you, and not to make your thread into a Christianity thread, I believe that ultimately everything is in God's hands. If God wants Obama in office, he will be in office. If God wants McCain in office, he will be in office. In the end, God has his plan. So, I guess even though I get passionate and fired up about these things, at the end of the day, I am not going to worry about it all because I trust in God and that works for me.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:43 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Im a Liberal Democrat and a Mormon.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:45 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
None.
Libertarian Pastafarian.

RAmen.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:45 AM

I envy your faith. I agree with that though, in principal.

I refuse to be negative if the election goes a certain way. I'm pretty darn sure Obama/Biden are going to win at this point and if they don't, unless something really drastically positive happens in the McCain/Palin camp, this country is gonna be volatile!

So I want to be ok either way. I'll shake hands with y'all and congratulate you at the end of the day.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I envy your faith. I agree with that though, in principal.

I refuse to be negative if the election goes a certain way. I'm pretty darn sure Obama/Biden are going to win at this point and if they don't, unless something really drastically positive happens in the McCain/Palin camp, this country is gonna be volatile!

So I want to be ok either way. I'll shake hands with y'all and congratulate you at the end of the day.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:52 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,042 times
I'm curious to know why the Independents don't have the same sub-categories as the Republicans and Democrats. I think the poll would be much more useful if it also illustrated the beliefs of Independents as well as that of the two major party adherents. Surely you don't assume that all Independents fall into a single "belief category"! And there are quite a lot of us, you know.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:22 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
Libertarian agnostic teetering back to atheism. I am very anti religous when it comes to politics, and I am just as afraid of winding up in a christian theocracy as I am living under sharia law.
But in personal lives, if people are very religious that is their call and none of my business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections