Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Senator Obama require more security,if elected as our President?
Yes 58 55.77%
No 31 29.81%
Time will tell 15 14.42%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 12:14 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,924,957 times

Advertisements

He won't be elected, so don't worry about it.

All presidents have enbelievable security. There are about 1 billion people on this earth that would love to take out Bush. Probably even more so then Obama has to worry about. Obama will be well protected by the secret service, as he is now. I don't think you, or he has anything more to worry about then any other President might have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 12:15 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,934,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
No previous president ever had to deal with racism.

That is a whole new issue to deal with, so I would vote yes.

I think Obama should be given whatever level of security is necessary.
What about that guy who freed the slaves? Abe something?

You're making Obama out to be something above everyone who ever came before him, and he hasn't even been elected yet. If McCain wins, won't he have to deal with racism? Isn't it even remotely possible in your little world that some black person might be a little bit upset that Obama didn't win?

This really is ridiculous. The security that is in place right now is exceptional for whoever is President of the United States. I know that without even knowing even close to everything there is to know about it BECAUSE WE'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO KNOW. And if it's not, it needs to be beefed up regardless of who holds that position.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:19 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,441,182 times
He should have at least 50 agents surrounding him at all times.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:21 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,996,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
And exactly how did that level of security work out for good ole' Abe ?

Old 10-17-2008, 12:22 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,428,294 times
Quote:

You're making Obama out to be something above everyone who ever came before him, and he hasn't even been elected yet. If McCain wins, won't he have to deal with racism? Isn't it even remotely possible in your little world that some black person might be a little bit upset that Obama didn't win?

This really is ridiculous. The security that is in place right now is good for whoever is President of the United States. And if it's not, it needs to be beefed up regardless of who holds that position.
Um, just to point out one little quirk of your argument. That guy? Abe? He was assassinated. That's the very reason the Secret Service came to exist. So...perhaps there is a lesson to be learned there in hopes of not having history repeat itself.

While his wasn't the only assassination, frankly, I don't care who is President, I have no wish to see them assassinated. The very idea of it saying who cares if he is, is unpatriotic imo.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:22 AM

1,958 posts, read 2,498,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
He should have at least 50 agents surrounding him at all times.

Good, pony up they make about 75K per year each. Put up or shut up.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:23 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,428,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclad View Post
Good, pony up they make about 75K per year each. Put up or shut up.
So you're opposed to any president having extra security around him or just Obama or is it situational in your mind?

Old 10-17-2008, 12:29 AM

1,958 posts, read 2,498,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
So you're opposed to any president having extra security around him or just Obama or is it situational in your mind?
Situational as required and whatever the prescribed number happens to be. Should he get more than Bush or Clinton.........nope, should he get the same considerations, sure, why not?

Old 10-17-2008, 12:29 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,934,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
Um, just to point out one little quirk of your argument. That guy? Abe? He was assassinated. That's the very reason the Secret Service came to exist. So...perhaps there is a lesson to be learned there in hopes of not having history repeat itself.

While his wasn't the only assassination, frankly, I don't care who is President, I have no wish to see them assassinated. The very idea of it saying who cares if he is, is unpatriotic imo.
Point being the post suggested that King Barack will be the first person EVER to take office who has had to deal with a racial issue. You don't think that since Lincoln was assassinated and we've made some technological advances that maybe security is much more enhanced in the 21st century?

I don't want to see any president hurt in any way. The point was that Obama is not some kind of super hero just because you say he is, when in fact he hasn't even won the election which believe it or not hasn't happened yet.

Whoever wins should get the security that is already in place UNLESS it is determined that an alternative is necessary. Otherwise, and get ready for this, YOU people are the ones making this about race.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:33 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,243,392 times
Quote:
Point being the post suggested that King Barack will be the first person EVER to take office who has had to deal with a racial issue. You don't think that since Lincoln was assassinated and we've made some technological advances that maybe security is much more enhanced in the 21st century?

I don't want to see any president hurt in any way. The point was that Obama is not some kind of super hero just because you say he is, when in fact he hasn't even won the election which believe it or not hasn't happened yet.

Whoever wins should get the security that is already in place UNLESS it is determined that an alternative is necessary. Otherwise, and get ready for this, YOU people are the ones making this about race.

Well said.

I don't want to see any President harmed whether I voted for them or not, but I'm sick of the special treatment everyone wants this guy to have. If he's ready to be President like he says then that means he's ready to take office as is, without any special additions to what President Bush already has. If it turns out that his safety is in bigger jeopardy after a while then by all means you have to do what you have to do to protect the President, but otherwise I still say no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections