Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Senator Obama require more security,if elected as our President?
Yes 58 55.77%
No 31 29.81%
Time will tell 15 14.42%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 11:18 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,979,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
Yes. IME, the higher your income level, the lower crime area you tend to live (suburbs) and the more civil your behavior. It's not the ghetto that causes the culture, but the culture that causes the ghetto.

People living in suburbs, white, black and brown, aren't going to riot. They actually have something to lose.
There are PLENTY of low-income people living in cheaper areas of suburbs or just on the edge that are extremely unsavory characters. I used to live in sarasota, FL - a cute little town that is very wealthy. But there were parts of that town that you wouldn't dare to go in at night. drug addicts, prostitutes.
It's NOT just ghettos. That's ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 11:20 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
The FBI investigated that claim of "kill him" and said it was NOT true; didn't happen.
They don't care, Obama said it is. So it shall be written, so it shall be done.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
On the flip side, one could argue that McCain would need more security because black people would be made Obama wasn't elected and might attempt to assassinate McCain. That is no different than what you are saying may happen if Obama is elected.
How could you POSSIBLY make those statements????? YOu're saying specifically that the BLACK people would try and kill McCain if Obama didn't win??? That implies all kinds of racial stereotypes and bigotry. thanks for exposing yourself as a racist.
As evidenced by you, Luzianne, there is a race problem in this country. Some people do not like blacks. And those same people may well be up in arms at the prospect of a BLACK president. It is a huge risk, and to say the risk would be equal for McCain is utterly ridiculous.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
They don't care, Obama said it is. So it shall be written, so it shall be done.
Dont be insulting. It's on tape. It is actually AUDIBLE. And the "terrorist!" shout is even clearer.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:30 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,442,341 times
Why should he have anymore then any other President?

Old 10-17-2008, 11:30 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Secret Service says "Kill him" allegation unfounded

Old 10-17-2008, 11:34 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,858,876 times
He will get the same level of security as dictated by secret service protocol and intelligence as any other previous president. What makes people think that Obama is threatened by any more crackpots than previous presidents. Yes, race is a motivator, but not the only one for those that are capable of executing an attack. His public exposure and travels will entail risk and there is no 100% security system or measures than can prevent an attack. I guess we could seal him up in a ballistic bubble if need be. The risk is inherent and comes with the position. I think people are getting concerned because if such an unfortunate incident were to take place then many cities in the US could erupt into chaos.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:35 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,267,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLDanford View Post
How could you POSSIBLY make those statements????? YOu're saying specifically that the BLACK people would try and kill McCain if Obama didn't win??? That implies all kinds of racial stereotypes and bigotry. thanks for exposing yourself as a racist.
As evidenced by you, Luzianne, there is a race problem in this country. Some people do not like blacks. And those same people may well be up in arms at the prospect of a BLACK president. It is a huge risk, and to say the risk would be equal for McCain is utterly ridiculous.
Oh good God. What is your problem? I am SICK of being called a racist on this board. If you knew me in person you'd know nothing is further from the truth. I don't know of ANYONE who is not voting for Obama because of his race. Wait. I take that back. I do know one person but that person is 89 years old and has never learned to call black people black; still says "colored people." I figure she is a product of her upbringing and that is so deeply ingrained in her that even after all these years, it's still there.

But I was making a point above. WHY would someone say Obama needs more security than another president? I assume the OP meant because he is BLACK. What other reason would there be? More people hate BUSH than hate OBAMA, so what other reason would there be that they brought this up? So if people are thinking Obama is going to be in danger if he is elected, I simply figured another way to look at it would be what if he WASN'T elected? Then would MCCAIN be more in danger?

As I have said on numerous occasions, MY CHOICE FOR THE GOP CANDIDATE FOR 2008 WOULD HAVE BEEN CONDI RICE. Her race does not matter to me; I agree with her political views and I think she is a great woman and wow - what if we could have the first black president also be the first woman president? I was disappointed that she was not interested in running. So there goes your racist theory - IT IS NOT ABOUT RACE.

I wish you and other Dems would STOP playing the race card. You guys have take this country back 50 years or more in one election because of this kind of thing.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:38 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,414,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLDanford View Post
There are PLENTY of low-income people living in cheaper areas of suburbs or just on the edge that are extremely unsavory characters.
Yes, we call that "the other side of the tracks" or "the poor side of town." It's not a new or unusual concept. However, despite the shadiness of the area, IME, they don't seem real interested in causing trouble as much as they're interested in satisfying their vice (the bad ones.) The working class of those areas, IME, are thankful to be able to claim they live in that city and have that to lose.

Quote:
I used to live in sarasota, FL - a cute little town that is very wealthy. But there were parts of that town that you wouldn't dare to go in at night. drug addicts, prostitutes.
It's NOT just ghettos. That's ridiculous.
Exceptions to the rule is not evidence of bad logic. In fact, using an exception is illogical.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:42 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,036,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
. What don't you understand about racism in the U.S.? Do you know that the KKK is still alive and well in the south?
You obviously have never been to the South. Please do not lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections