Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 10:03 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,356,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
And what the heck is a "treating" phone call? Something done on Halloween?

It's late, Im tired and the only light is my laptop screen so Im typing blind......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 10:10 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,622,194 times
Ayers will get plenty of invitations for other conferences, especially those not associated with a particular university. And are you imagining that the Nebraska gig was a big paying event or something? He probably got travel and $1000 (or less) honorarium.

But if you were looking for a symbolic victory that was instigated by threats of violence, you got it. Congrats.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:15 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,777,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Ayers will get plenty of invitations for other conferences, especially those not associated with a particular university. And are you imagining that the Nebraska gig was a big paying event or something? He probably got travel and $1000 (or less) honorarium.

But if you were looking for a symbolic victory that was instigated by threats of violence, you got it. Congrats.
...and I wonder how it feels for Mr. Ayers to be on the other side of the threats?

Old 10-17-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
...and I wonder how it feels for Mr. Ayers to be on the other side of the threats?
Someone with a moral core wouldn't say that threats against some people are acceptable and against others are unacceptable. You either condemn violence and threats of violence or you don't. I guess you don't.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:22 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,294,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Forgive my ignorance...but who is he? Why do they call him a terrorist?

I was born in the 80's and have never heard of him.
The right-wing nutcases are trying to make the case that Obama has a "close friendship" with Ayers. He does not. Do a search on the forum: this has been discussed many, many times. Obama served on a Chicago bipartisan education board (funded by a billionaire Republican) with Ayers, along with many other leading citizens of Chicago. Later, when Obama was running for office, his colleague on the board--Ayers--hosted a fund-raiser for his campaign. They also served on the Woods board. Very common for the same people to serve on the same boards. That's it. End of story. But not, of course, for the neo-cons.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Someone with a moral core wouldn't say that threats against some people are acceptable and against others are unacceptable. You either condemn violence and threats of violence or you don't. I guess you don't.
You guessed wrong. I don't condone violence or threats at all. Just sayin, the shoe's on the other foot and now it's affecting Ayers, though not nearly to the degree as it affected the families of the people his cronies killed. I don't believe 2 wrongs make a right, but "what goes 'round comes 'round", I guess.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:26 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,042,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
The right-wing nutcases are trying to make the case that Obama has a "close friendship" with Ayers. He does not. Do a search on the forum: this has been discussed many, many times. Obama served on a Chicago bipartisan education board (funded by a billionaire Republican) with Ayers, along with many other leading citizens of Chicago. Later, when Obama was running for office, his colleague on the board--Ayers--hosted a fund-raiser for his campaign. They also served on the Woods board. Very common for the same people to serve on the same boards. That's it. End of story. But not, of course, for the neo-cons.
Shoot, wondering about him wasnt related to the upcoming election. In all honesty I think BOTH candidates suck, and Bugs Bunny is within a hairs breadth of getting my vote.

I just wanted to know what the man had done to be called a terrorist.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
You guessed wrong. I don't condone violence or threats at all. Just sayin, the shoe's on the other foot and now it's affecting Ayers, though not nearly to the degree as it affected the families of the people his cronies killed. I don't believe 2 wrongs make a right, but "what goes 'round comes 'round", I guess.
Well that I actually agree with.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Well that I actually agree with.
I respect you for telling me.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:
I respect you for telling me.
Handshake across the aisle right here on city-data!!! It had to happen sooner or later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections