Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 10:43 AM

31,698 posts, read 41,171,940 times

Advertisements

Obama Viewed as Winner of Third Debate
RINCETON, NJ -- Round three of the presidential debates went to Barack Obama, according to a one-night USA Today/Gallup poll of debate watchers conducted Oct. 16, completing a sweep of the three debates for Obama.

Obama's debate wins generally keep tradition with what Gallup has found historically. Gallup polls seeking reaction to past presidential debates as early as 1960 -- conducted either immediately after each debate concluded or in the succeeding days -- have most often shown that the Democratic candidate has been viewed as the winner over the Republican candidate. Gallup has found that, despite all the attention paid to the debates, they generally do little to transform the presidential race. For example, John Kerry was viewed as the winner of all three presidential debates in 2004 but still lost the election to George W. Bush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 10:57 AM

26,332 posts, read 49,324,574 times
Gallup got it right.

Can we just imagine John McCain, with delusions that he's still a hot-shot womanizing beer swilling naval aviator, poorly prepared, with nothing substantial to say, sitting with foreign heads of state to try and work out serious issues. He'd actually be WORSE than Bush, who is already a total loser. PeeWee Herman would do a better job than McCain.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Gallup got it right.

Can we just imagine John McCain, with delusions that he's still a hot-shot womanizing beer swilling naval aviator, poorly prepared, with nothing substantial to say, sitting with foreign heads of state to try and work out serious issues. He'd actually be WORSE than Bush, who is already a total loser. PeeWee Herman would do a better job than McCain.
I really wonder if Putin could keep a straight face looking at Johnny Mc and his facial contortions. I can only imagine what Putin would say to aides after their discussion.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:44 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,871,244 times
Shows that no matter how long you are in the Senate, it doesn't mean that you can debate. You would have thought John would have been a master at debating by now, but he isn't.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:45 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,037,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I really wonder if Putin could keep a straight face looking at Johnny Mc and his facial contortions. I can only imagine what Putin would say to aides after their discussion.
I'll bet if Putin said "Boo" Obama would jump and say "Your not playing fair".

Old 10-18-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
I'll bet if Putin said "Boo" Obama would jump and say "Your not playing fair".
He seems to be the cool calm one in debates and McCain the fidgety one. Readers what say you about who is calm, cool and collective and who is fidgety and all over the place?

Old 10-18-2008, 12:55 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,780,160 times
Do you believe everything you read, Tuby? Are you a shill for the polls? The question should be: Who do YOU think won the debates? And debates is a whole different thing, these weren't debates, they were staged comedies. Sheez.

I'd never put myself in that position, but I wonder how many of y'all would be willing to "debate" something on national television, or national ray-d-o within a specified time limit. I'm sure none would fumble like McCain or Obama did, huh?

Old 10-18-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Do you believe everything you read, Tuby? Are you a shill for the polls? The question should be: Who do YOU think won the debates? And debates is a whole different thing, these weren't debates, they were staged comedies. Sheez.

I'd never put myself in that position, but I wonder how many of y'all would be willing to "debate" something on national television, or national ray-d-o within a specified time limit. I'm sure none would fumble like McCain or Obama did, huh?
It is not your points I am ignoring but reinforcing my link that Gallup polling shows that their respondents rated Obama the winner in all three votes by a substantial margin.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:59 PM

But the debates apparently did more to enhance Obama's image than McCain's. After each of the three debates, more debate watchers said their opinion of Obama was more favorable than said it was less favorable.

In contrast, those whose opinion of McCain was influenced by the debates tended to come away with a less positive view of the Republican nominee.

The above is all from the Gallup link.

Old 10-18-2008, 01:11 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,780,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post

But the debates apparently did more to enhance Obama's image than McCain's. After each of the three debates, more debate watchers said their opinion of Obama was more favorable than said it was less favorable.

In contrast, those whose opinion of McCain was influenced by the debates tended to come away with a less positive view of the Republican nominee.

The above is all from the Gallup link.
Whoopee. I can agree with the highlighted portion above; however, while I, personally, don't necessarily have a less positive view of McCain, I do have a less positive view of final achievement. That won't change my vote, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections