U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-21-2008, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Fort Myers, FL
1,286 posts, read 2,767,947 times
Reputation: 249

Advertisements


YouTube - Explosive Audio Found Obama arguing against BAIPA
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2008, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Texas
38,863 posts, read 23,044,290 times
Reputation: 24780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
I really appreciate the time and energy they put into presenting this information in a clear way. That video of him talking about "they are going to try and make you afraid of me." Disgusts me.

More than the way they've tried to make you afraid of him?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Fort Myers, FL
1,286 posts, read 2,767,947 times
Reputation: 249

YouTube - The Obama Files: Spreading the Wealth Through Taxes


for those of you that dont know, wealth in the US increased 20% under Bush since the clinton administration.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Texas
38,863 posts, read 23,044,290 times
Reputation: 24780
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post

The polar opposite of the Bush/Cheney approach of concentrating wealth through taxes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Fort Myers, FL
1,286 posts, read 2,767,947 times
Reputation: 249
Obama's 95% Illusion - WSJ.com

One of Barack Obama's most potent campaign claims is that he'll cut taxes for no less than 95% of "working families." He's even promising to cut taxes enough that the government's tax share of GDP will be no more than 18.2% -- which is lower than it is today.
AP


It's a clever pitch, because it lets him pose as a middle-class tax cutter while disguising that he's also proposing one of the largest tax increases ever on the other 5%. But how does he conjure this miracle, especially since more than a third of all Americans already pay no income taxes at all? There are several sleights of hand, but the most creative is to redefine the meaning of "tax cut."
For the Obama Democrats, a tax cut is no longer letting you keep more of what you earn. In their lexicon, a tax cut includes tens of billions of dollars in government handouts that are disguised by the phrase "tax credit." Mr. Obama is proposing to create or expand no fewer than seven such credits for individuals:



- A $500 tax credit ($1,000 a couple) to "make work pay" that phases out at income of $75,000 for individuals and $150,000 per couple.
- A $4,000 tax credit for college tuition.
- A 10% mortgage interest tax credit (on top of the existing mortgage interest deduction and other housing subsidies).
- A "savings" tax credit of 50% up to $1,000.
- An expansion of the earned-income tax credit that would allow single workers to receive as much as $555 a year, up from $175 now, and give these workers up to $1,110 if they are paying child support.
- A child care credit of 50% up to $6,000 of expenses a year.
- A "clean car" tax credit of up to $7,000 on the purchase of certain vehicles.
Here's the political catch. All but the clean car credit would be "refundable," which is Washington-speak for the fact that you can receive these checks even if you have no income-tax liability. In other words, they are an income transfer -- a federal check -- from taxpayers to nontaxpayers. Once upon a time we called this "welfare," or in George McGovern's 1972 campaign a "Demogrant." Mr. Obama's genius is to call it a tax cut.
The Tax Foundation estimates that under the Obama plan 63 million Americans, or 44% of all tax filers, would have no income tax liability and most of those would get a check from the IRS each year. The Heritage Foundation's Center for Data Analysis estimates that by 2011, under the Obama plan, an additional 10 million filers would pay zero taxes while cashing checks from the IRS.
The total annual expenditures on refundable "tax credits" would rise over the next 10 years by $647 billion to $1.054 trillion, according to the Tax Policy Center. This means that the tax-credit welfare state would soon cost four times actual cash welfare. By redefining such income payments as "tax credits," the Obama campaign also redefines them away as a tax share of GDP. Presto, the federal tax burden looks much smaller than it really is.
The political left defends "refundability" on grounds that these payments help to offset the payroll tax. And that was at least plausible when the only major refundable credit was the earned-income tax credit. Taken together, however, these tax credit payments would exceed payroll levies for most low-income workers.
It is also true that John McCain proposes a refundable tax credit -- his $5,000 to help individuals buy health insurance. We've written before that we prefer a tax deduction for individual health care, rather than a credit. But the big difference with Mr. Obama is that Mr. McCain's proposal replaces the tax subsidy for employer-sponsored health insurance that individuals don't now receive if they buy on their own. It merely changes the nature of the tax subsidy; it doesn't create a new one.
There's another catch: Because Mr. Obama's tax credits are phased out as incomes rise, they impose a huge "marginal" tax rate increase on low-income workers. The marginal tax rate refers to the rate on the next dollar of income earned. As the nearby chart illustrates, the marginal rate for millions of low- and middle-income workers would spike as they earn more income.
Some families with an income of $40,000 could lose up to 40 cents in vanishing credits for every additional dollar earned from working overtime or taking a new job. As public policy, this is contradictory. The tax credits are sold in the name of "making work pay," but in practice they can be a disincentive to working harder, especially if you're a lower-income couple getting raises of $1,000 or $2,000 a year. One mystery -- among many -- of the McCain campaign is why it has allowed Mr. Obama's 95% illusion to go unanswered.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 02:36 PM
 
Location: The Land of Lincoln
2,522 posts, read 4,139,886 times
Reputation: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Wow that was a long blog post that didn't actually talk about any serious issues related to the presidency. If a political post starts with the non-issue of abortion, what a joke.

Love how they claim they won't smear, and then proceed to spread lies. Classy.
Nothing on there is a lie. Not at all. Obama is on video sharing his opinions.
As for the accusations of racism, Obama doesn't give the American public much credit, does he? That offends me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 02:39 PM
 
Location: The Land of Lincoln
2,522 posts, read 4,139,886 times
Reputation: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Thanks for sharing such "confidential" information on Obama. I am not even voting for ANYBODY but all the talking points have been covered by Conservative talk shows ad nauseum for at least a year or so. Maybe if you had posted this about a year ago, it would have been more effective. At this point, I do not think anybody will change their minds because of this article.
Actually, from what I have read on this board and a few others where politics are discussed, the general public seems to be very uninformed. There is much good information there for the taking, but Obama supporters just try, as he does to explain it all away. Few know of his origin and early years in politics.

Last edited by Mamama Mia; 10-21-2008 at 02:55 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 02:42 PM
 
Location: WA
4,246 posts, read 8,315,540 times
Reputation: 2366
We don't deserve much credit:



YouTube - Crazy Tracy - This is Why America is Broken - From "Now on PBS"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 02:43 PM
 
877 posts, read 1,978,627 times
Reputation: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
A bit long, but well worth the time needed to read, listen and watch this well done piece. It would be great to pass along to undecided family and friends.
I'm sorry, but you're wrong.

There is only one reason to vote against Obama, because you're a racist.

Do you think his tax policies are unclear/bad for this country? RAAACIST!
Do you think that Barack Obama is unqualified? RAAACIST!
Do you oppose redistribution of wealth? RAAACIST!
Do you think that his judgment is unsound based on the people he associates with? RAAACIST!
Do you wear white after labor day? RAAACIST!

Honestly, if you're not a racist, then you would vote for Barack Obama. Come on, all the cool kids are doing it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Fort Myers, FL
1,286 posts, read 2,767,947 times
Reputation: 249
Guy Benson : Debunking Obama's Ayers "Fact Sheet" - Townhall.com

Obama challenged the question's relevancy, carefully avoided details, and pivoted to another topic of discussion. The damage was done, though, and his campaign was forced to issue a "fact" sheet to debunk any nasty implications the "distraction" of a question may have raised. Team Obama informed readers that a) Obama himself is far too young to have been a member of the Weather Underground, b) The mainstream media consensus is that Obama's ties to Ayers are irrelevant, c) All charges against Ayers were dropped, and d) Ayers and his wife, Bernadine Dohrn, are actually pretty "mainstream" these days. Three of these four defenses ring hollow.

Next, let's examine Obama's claim that his connection to Ayers and Dohrn is "tenuous" and "phony." Is it phony that Obama's political coming-out party in the mid-1990s was hosted by Ayers and Dohrn? What about the panel discussions in which Ayers and Obama both took part—that were organized by Michelle Obama? Tenuous? I suppose the goodbye party for prominent Israel basher and Arafat apologist Rashid Khalidi, attended by Obama, Ayers and Dohrn, is also unworthy of discussion. That Khalidi himself hosted a fundraiser for Obama's first Congressional campaign must be completely irrelevant, too.

then there's the pesky fact that Obama and Ayers served together on the board of the Woods Fund for three years—and continued to do so even after Ayers was quoted in the New York Times fondly recalling his days as a bomber, and despairing that he hadn't "done more."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122212856075765367.html


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI7pU...-barack-obama/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top