Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 04:52 AM

1,966 posts, read 2,706,072 times

Advertisements

There is so much going wrong within this country right now, so many hugely important problems that need resolving, that I don't understand how anybody could cast his or her vote for a candidate based on one issue alone. But, to each his own.

Personally, I like to weigh the pros and cons of each candidate (based on my agreement or disagreement with each of their stances on various issues), along with their abilities to relate to average Americans, their temperaments, their personalities, their strengths of character, their core values, their educational achievements and their professional records, to decide which candidate I identify with the most and feel would do the best overall job leading the country.

It would be so much easier to decide who to vote for, if I just voted based on one issue. But I don't think I'd always pick the right person if I did that.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:21 AM

1,242 posts, read 2,462,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
There is so much going wrong within this country right now, so many hugely important problems that need resolving, that I don't understand how anybody could cast his or her vote for a candidate based on one issue alone. But, to each his own.

Personally, I like to weigh the pros and cons of each candidate (based on my agreement or disagreement with each of their stances on various issues), along with their abilities to relate to average Americans, their temperaments, their personalities, their strengths of character, their core values, their educational achievements and their professional records, to decide which candidate I identify with the most and feel would do the best overall job leading the country.

It would be so much easier to decide who to vote for, if I just voted based on one issue. But I don't think I'd always pick the right person if I did that.
The fact of the matter is that at the end of the day, no matter who wins the election, our country is screwed. Both are liars.

However, my one issue being abortion carries over to other aspects of their personal lives that I'd like to or not like to see in office. Any candidate that has such a low value and concept on the nature of human life in my opinion does not have the proper character to lead this country. That is my reasoning for making abortion such a big deal, and the reason why I will not vote for a pro-choice candidate. I don't want a wishy-washy candidate. Abortion is such a huge issue that it is either black or white. Anything inbetween is black, and pro-life to its fullest is white.

I don't care what anyone says. We have a moral obligation as a nation to bring back value to the concept of human life, and change this culture of "me me me" around.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:34 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,489,421 times
Quote:
Originally posted by AaronK
However, my one issue being abortion carries over to other aspects of their personal lives that I'd like to or not like to see in office. Any candidate that has such a low value and concept on the nature of human life in my opinion does not have the proper character to lead this country. That is my reasoning for making abortion such a big deal, and the reason why I will not vote for a pro-choice candidate. I don't want a wishy-washy candidate. Abortion is such a huge issue that it is either black or white. Anything inbetween is black, and pro-life to its fullest is white.

I don't care what anyone says. We have a moral obligation as a nation to bring back value to the concept of human life, and change this culture of "me me me" around.
This about sums me up. But I must add that this applies to other life issues too. So many of these same "pro-life" republicans were just fine with starting a war with a country that had no connection to al-quaeda and did not directly attack us. Iraq, and the neocon belief in pre-emptive war, also shows as low a regard for human life as Democrats show for the unborn.

So as someone who is pro-life, I can't really vote for the Republicans or Democrats and stay true to that principle

Old 10-22-2008, 05:39 AM

1,242 posts, read 2,462,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
This about sums me up. But I must add that this applies to other life issues too. So many of these same "pro-life" republicans were just fine with starting a war with a country that had no connection to al-quaeda and did not directly attack us. Iraq, and the neocon belief in pre-emptive war, also shows as low a regard for human life as Democrats show for the unborn.

So as someone who is pro-life, I can't really vote for the Republicans or Democrats and stay true to that principle
You are very much right. Same for supporters of the death penalty as well. It is a hard decision, but since McCain may very well be picking two more Supreme Court justices, his nomination is critical.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:47 AM

1,966 posts, read 2,706,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
but since McCain may very well be picking two more Supreme Court justices, his nomination is critical.
Or detrimental, depending on how you personally view it.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:20 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,246,765 times
Quote:
The fact of the matter is that at the end of the day, no matter who wins the election, our country is screwed. Both are liars.

But wether or not someone supports a person's choice or not does not translate to the moral or ethically charged positions they will take on all situations. Bush, for example, is pro-life but only behaves that way when talking about abortion. His attitute towards supporting life after birth has been extremely controversial (welfare, education, war etc etc).

You are obviously entitled to your opinion, but making the choice of whom you wish to elect to the world's most powerful office has to be deeper than 'black and white' opinions on single issues. Your remark that 'someone who has such a low value on human life...' translates that anyone who is pro-choice must not care about the issues that are morally or ethically important politically. People (such as Obama) that are pro-choice (on the most part) are just supporting of the right for the women to make the decision rather than the government.. and if you read the ruling on Roe vs Wade, the supreme sourt judges lay out a very deep and philosophical argument for the importance of that choice. Obama has also clearly stated the importance of reducing unwanted pregnancies aswell as the importance of education and councelling for the person facing that decision.

The whole point of democracy is that everyone is represented in public policy as much as possible. Leaders that have black and white views on devisive issues cannot possibly be effective democratic leaders, such is why single-issue votes ignore the vast complexities of leading and enhancing democratic principles.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:26 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,145,634 times
I can't be a one-issue voter. I would hardly ever be able to vote. As tempting as it is, I'm going to try not to judge candidates based on how they feel about a single issue that is important to me.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:36 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,282,722 times
Quote:

I'm catholic, and I'm pro-life. I'm voting for Obama, because as much as I wish abortions were illegal in most cases, I understand his viewpoint and also understand that democrats teach more than abstenence. As a result, rather than just pushing to overturn Roe v Wade, they focus on getting to the root of the problem, preventing unwanted pregnancies in the first place. Abortion rates went down under president Clinton. Obama has publically stated, as long as there is an acception for the health of the mother, he would support a ban on partial birth or late-term abortions.
The other thing is, that I prefer a balanced supreme court, and with two more liberal judges leaving, I think it's only fair we have them both replaced by a liberal president.

see where I'm coming from with this? While I wish all abortions were outlawed ( with exceptions in extreme cases ) at the same time, Obama doesn't hold some kind of evil platform, and has plenty more in his policies to like. I am proud to say I will never be a single issue voter. Frankly, I just find that to be very close-minded.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:37 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,558,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
I'm catholic, and I'm pro-life. I'm voting for Obama, because as much as I wish abortions were illegal in most cases, I understand his viewpoint and also understand that democrats teach more than abstenence. As a result, rather than just pushing to overturn Roe v Wade, they focus on getting to the root of the problem, preventing unwanted pregnancies in the first place. Abortion rates went down under president Clinton. Obama has publically stated, as long as there is an acception for the health of the mother, he would support a ban on partial birth or late-term abortions.
The other thing is, that I prefer a balanced supreme court, and with two more liberal judges leaving, I think it's only fair we have them both replaced by a liberal president.

see where I'm coming from with this? While I wish all abortions were outlawed ( with exceptions in extreme cases ) at the same time, Obama doesn't hold some kind of evil platform, and has plenty more in his policies to like. I am proud to say I will never be a single issue voter. Frankly, I just find that to be very close-minded.
I think most people can agree with this statement...As a woman, I just don't want that right taken away from me or my daughters. Obama will fight for our rights,,,whatever they maybe and I have great appriciation for that. We have come so far, why go backwards?

As for being a one issue voter, I just don't get it...There is just so much going on right now...'W' had 8 years to overturn R V W and did not. I just don't see it happening and I hate to see people wasting a vote on an issue that probably won't change.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:44 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,308,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
OK, so how do you square the idea of almost everyone who has endorsed him originally supported the war. Add to that list Gen. Colon Powell who spent 80min before the UN making the case for war!
It seems they have come around to his way of thinking...people do change their minds. Great leaders do. But these days we like to call those folks "wafflers" or "flip-floppers". It is a shame, because strong leaders can take in all sides of a discussion and then if necessary, change their viewpoint. The opposite of this would be Bush, in my humble opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections