Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 11:59 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,063,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Your example list of thank a liberal are pathetic and from like 40 years ago!
LOL, well, some are apparently enthralled with the hippies and want to bring them back! I always felt sorry for classmates who were stuck with names like Dawn, Sky, and Moonbeam -- maybe they'll make a comeback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 12:02 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,275,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
LOL, well, some are apparently enthralled with the hippies and want to bring them back! I always felt sorry for classmates who were stuck with names like Dawn, Sky, and Moonbeam -- maybe they'll make a comeback!
Yep, that's real hippie trash in that link, isnt it?

Old 10-22-2008, 12:08 AM

493 posts, read 720,032 times
People don't want divisions anymore. This country was founded by divisive means, remember that please! In todays world we are past that, everyone wants to come together and unite, we are a blended people, we don't want what seems like a never ending caste system anymore, we all want equality and peace amongst one another. Electing Senator Obama will not fix all of this over night, but it is a start!

Also, there are still wonderful American values that are celebrated of family together time around the kitchen table, spiritual worship, moral values, and the belief in working hard for what you want to achieve. Those values still ring true, but they are represented diversely now. People express these values in their own ways and it's beautiful! No one has ownership on American culture or values, because the way one celebrates love of America is unique to each individual! That's only possible in a country like ours and we should be proud of that type of moving forward!

Old 10-22-2008, 12:09 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,506,666 times
Quote:
Again, this correlates to the extreme 10%, you obviously are not, or you would have disputed my points. This relates to the original post and you reaffirmed that by pointing out that all liberals are not supporting of those statements. BUT, that is the direction you are being pulled and not putting up much of a fight!
I'm sorry but looking at your post I personally would squeeze you into that 10% extremist you're talking about. Talking about liberals hating America? Why would they live here? Aborting 9 month old babies? What?

Do you not realize you are talking about human beings, not Republican stereotypes like "Joe Six-Pack", "Hockey Mom",

Real people are far more complex than you are claiming. I know some on the "right" are many times squeezed into silly generalizations like "warmonger", "redneck", etc., but it doesn't make it right to do the same.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:48 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,227,444 times
Quote:
Say what you will, but the current liberal movement in this country goes against all that has been considered traditional American values. That tickles many of you to death, but think first......

Name just about any traditional American core value and the liberals have it under attack. And for your left folks, who think American has now adopted the far left ideology because you might elected Obama, think again. America, as a whole is still moderate, with about 10% being far right and 10% being far left. The rest of us fall somewhere in the middle, all of us. We are tugged upon by the extreme polar viewpoints and it needs to stop in my opinion. It is an economic election, not an"America is now as liberal as France" one!

Average Americans are not interested in becoming far-right, isolationists, AND they are not interested in being so far left they trash everything that put us to where we are today.

So, if Obama wins, remember that democrats. Remember what put America where it is today and find some value in those traditions before your throw them all away.

Read the history on the great Roman empire. The people gave blood and sweat to build it, then during a short "liberal" movement, when nobody wanted to give blood and sweat for it anymore, they destroyed it!

Too bad they are showing that they can be sold a bill of rotten goods.
I have watched in amazement this last year at the DNC slither down to the bottom of the barrel with Obama.
I have watched the mainstream press surround him and do his dirty work.
I have seen people that I have always respected like John Lewis say hateful and dishonest things.
I have seen people rip a woman apart just because she accepted a nomination that was offered her.
I have seen a congress lock down the house in the middle of a gas crisis
so the speaker can go on a book sale.
So don't get all cocky, if Obama wins, he, Pelosi, and Reid will push through more bills than you thought posible.
But, hey, Obama will be "THE ONE"
and you will step in line.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:56 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,227,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotik View Post
People don't want divisions anymore. This country was founded by divisive means, remember that please! In todays world we are past that, everyone wants to come together and unite, we are a blended people, we don't want what seems like a never ending caste system anymore, we all want equality and peace amongst one another. Electing Senator Obama will not fix all of this over night, but it is a start!

Also, there are still wonderful American values that are celebrated of family together time around the kitchen table, spiritual worship, moral values, and the belief in working hard for what you want to achieve. Those values still ring true, but they are represented diversely now. People express these values in their own ways and it's beautiful! No one has ownership on American culture or values, because the way one celebrates love of America is unique to each individual! That's only possible in a country like ours and we should be proud of that type of moving forward!

So it would be okay to pray in school, even for Christian kids?
Can we say " Merry Christmas" again ?
Would we not get attacked if we invoked the name of Jesus?
What I have seen is that "we are all one" IF that means you get to say how that looks to you.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:12 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,861,372 times
Per my dictionary, the definition of liberal is:

favoring or permitting freedom of action, esp. with respect to matters of personal belief or expression: a liberal policy toward dissident artists and writers

Isn't that exact premise what our founding fathers had in mind for this great country?

How can you say that liberalism "goes against all that has been considered traditional American values."

The Pilgrims came here seeking religious freedom. Seeking LIBERATION.

You need to brush up on your history.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
So it would be okay to pray in school, even for Christian kids?
Can we say " Merry Christmas" again ?
Would we not get attacked if we invoked the name of Jesus?
What I have seen is that "we are all one" IF that means you get to say how that looks to you.
I don't see anything wrong with those things. I just have a problem with the ramming down the throat of those beliefs. I don't think people have any business forcing Christianity as aggressively as it is done on anyone and then become offended and feel attacked when it's rejected. I mean, I have come across many disrespectful Christians who will knock your beliefs and caste judgment in the cruelest of ways on anyone who resists. I live in Oklahoma, believe me I know.

Everyone should respect each others space and choices. I don't think we'd have any problem if we could only do that.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:15 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,135,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotik View Post
I don't see anything wrong with those things. I just have a problem with the ramming down the throat of those beliefs. I don't think people have any business forcing Christianity as aggressively as it is done on anyone and then become offended and feel attacked when it's rejected. I mean, I have come across many disrespectful Christians who will knock your beliefs and caste judgment in the cruelest of ways on anyone who resists. I live in Oklahoma, believe me I know.

Can you tell me examples of what constitues "ramming down the throat"? I agree with your sentiment in that nobody should be overly-aggressive in trying to get their issues/points/opinions across to people and I do meet the occasional Christian who does that and, yes, it is VERY annoying. I have one here at work who is very opinionated and very hypocritical it's maddening. However, I feel that with the holidays coming, we will see people get all bent out of shape when Christmas lights are put up on what they perceive to be a public place. I don't think these lights are "ramming down the beliefs down ones throat" but too many people do (yes, I know you didn't say this but I am using this as an example).

Everyone should respect each others space and choices. I don't think we'd have any problem if we could only do that.
You're right with what you say. It's just that when something is "the way it is" for a while and then all of a sudden it's not "the way it is" anymore people get upset and offended especially if they think that the original way had no intentions of harming people.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Can you tell me examples of what constitues "ramming down the throat"? I agree with your sentiment in that nobody should be overly-aggressive in trying to get their issues/points/opinions across to people and I do meet the occasional Christian who does that and, yes, it is VERY annoying. I have one here at work who is very opinionated and very hypocritical it's maddening. However, I feel that with the holidays coming, we will see people get all bent out of shape when Christmas lights are put up on what they perceive to be a public place. I don't think these lights are "ramming down the beliefs down ones throat" but too many people do (yes, I know you didn't say this but I am using this as an example).
Well as for Christmas lights and sites like Rockefeller Center and the big tree, those things are a given. Anyone who comes to this country already KNOWS or should know that we have traditions that are cemented in the fabric of this country. So Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, Halloween, 4th of July etc... Those things have historical value and will NEVER leave. It's the responsibility of parents to explain and teach their children what they want to believe if they are living in this country. So if anyone attacks you for having holiday lights and decor on your front porch, you have every right to punch them in the face!

Now, I do believe when addressing others it's best to say "Happy Holidays" rather than Happy Easter, Merry Christmas etc... because at that point you are stepping into their personal space and don't want to offend by sending a greeting that may make them feel uncomfortable, so Happy Holidays is general and will work across cultural lines.

But we are both on the same page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections