Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why is Barack Obama and the Democrat Party fighting Berg's lawsuit over Obama birth certificate ?
Because they like fighting Berg who is a leading Democrat in PA. 1 1.85%
I'm NOT Sure. 5 9.26%
It is NOT Legal For Barack Obama To Run As U.S. President and they are trying to avoid going to jail. 30 55.56%
OTHER 18 33.33%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 01:48 AM

3,301 posts, read 6,329,842 times

Advertisements

Why is Barack Obama and the Democrat Party fighting Berg's lawsuit?
DNC steps in to silence lawsuit over Obama birth certificate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 01:58 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,076,974 times
Because they want Obama to be president. Then the DNC will release the birth certificate of Obama which will result in Obama being disqualified from the presidency because he was born in Kenya. Biden then becomes president.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:04 AM

343 posts, read 942,894 times
Because no matter how stupid and idiotic a lawsuit is you just can't ignore it.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:05 AM

36,661 posts, read 67,572,805 times
Oh fer the love of Gawd.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:18 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,402,642 times
I'm not sure if birth certificates even existed when the Constitution was created. If afer an Obama win, he is required to produce a valid birth certificate that he is unable to, it would appear that either Biden or McCain could have good reasons to take the reins at that point. McCain could argue that since he was ineligible to become president, he never actually was president taking Biden out of the picture. No doubt the Supreme Count would once again decide who gets to be president. For the sake of the nation, I hope McCain wins and this becomes a historical footnote.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:19 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,642,546 times
Well, as a general matter, courts have rules which require those being sued to make certain responses to the suits against them. For example, in most areas, if you simply ignore a paternity suit, because you feel it lacks merit, the court will decide that you ARE the father, due to a "rule of inference" which says that if you don't reply to the suit, you "constructively" admit the charges against you. You don't actually admit anything, but the court "constructs" a theory of why you did not respond, and the construction is that your silence means you don't care to refute the charge.

This is not really fair in many cases, since lawsuits without merit can be decided against you simply because you did not respond in a timely fashion. So, if you think the lawsuit is complete garbage, you usually file something called a "motion to dismiss." You then state your grounds in your motion. There are numerous grounds for dismissal, depending on the rules used by the court where the suit was filed.

So, for example, in a federal lawsuit, if you think the lawsuit is complete garbage, you'd probably file a motion to dismiss based on one of two grounds: Lack of standing, which means that the person filing the suit does not have a legal right to actually file the suit (which is apparently what Obama's legal team has filed); or something called a "Rule 12(b)(6) motion." That refers to something called the "Rules of Federal Procedure," which are procedural rules used by federal courts. The FCRP is basically a set of rules that federal courts use to make sure that things are uniform throughout the court system.

12(b)(6) in particular claims a "failure to state a claim upon which relief can be granted." For example, if I file a lawsuit against you claiming that your "malicious mental energy made me gamble away $150,000," the person I sue can file a 12(b)(6) motion to dismiss saying that I have not actually claimed anything that the court can use to say "hey, pay up!"

That's a long explanation, but given how common lawsuits are in society, I think it's useful to understand how some of the basic procedure works.

So, basically, just because someone replies to a suit, does not mean they are admitting guilt.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:23 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,402,642 times
That's some handy information.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:32 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,642,546 times
I know some people who have been sued for what are clearly nonsense reasons, and information like that has helped them get these things eliminated right at the beginning. Of course, if the court doesn't dismiss the lawsuit, you might want to get a lawyer. But if you think you are being sued on very weak grounds, there are some basic procedural things you can do to get the lawsuit thrown out, or at least get yourself more time (through something called a "motion for continuance").

Basically, you should look up the rules of the court in which you are being sued (usually on that court's website, but if not, always available from the court itself), read them over, then think about your next move.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:42 AM

2,661 posts, read 2,905,303 times
I'm with you, he's not legal!

I kid.
But I didn't ruin the perfect score you have going.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:10 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,723,191 times
Because even when a frivolous lawsuit is filed, the defendant has to file a response or the plaintiff can seek a default judgment. If the court determines that the lawsuit is frivolous, the plaintiff can be forced to pay the defendant's costs and attorney fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections