Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 05:50 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,833,728 times

Advertisements

If [John] Edwards had gotten one of his legendary haircuts every singe week, it would still take him 7.2 years to spend what Palin has spent. Palin has received the equivalent of $2,500 in clothes per day from places such as Saks Fifth Avenue (where RNC expenditures totaled nearly $50,000) and Neiman Marcus (where the governor had a $75,000 spree).

Palin Clothes Spending Has Dems Salivating, Republicans Livid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 05:52 AM

1,966 posts, read 2,711,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually it doesnt. Its assumed the money is for the Palins, but for all I know, it could have been a donation to the homeless shelter. It shows assumptions, it proves nothing..
The campaign's financial disclosure records indicate that roughly $150k was spent last month on Palin's and her family's new clothing, which is completely unprecedented in a Presidential campaign.

What do you mean by "it could have been a donation to the homeless shelter"? Who said anything about a homeless shelter?

Old 10-22-2008, 05:54 AM

1,966 posts, read 2,711,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracul View Post
Just another superficial republiCON crook living large until the lights go out! Two more weeks of the second string prom queen bozo and hopefully she will be relagated to an insignificant footnote in history...and back on her own dime!!! Here we are facing some of the most dire situations in American/global history and the best the GOP can float in their dubya-soiled toilet bowl is this charlatan eye candy zip-head to attract all those drooling red state bubba's. Great choice John. I once respected McCain but he has morphed into a profligate neocon bootlicker and a suck up to the bible thumping phony zealots...whose real God has always been power and money. The GOP/McSame choice of this tart was an entirely calculated gambit to hook in the country-folk knuckle dragging WHITE voters, preferably semi literate at best, to secure some base. Disgusting and pathetic. This country deserves more than these division three clowns.

This election cycle has been of the lowest standards in memory. I'm astonished and ashamed of what these fools are blathering and promoting. In the early 21st century this country appears to be losing its grasp of its once exalted place in international affairs. We are like Caligula's Rome before its inevitable fall into the abyss of history.

HAHAHA...Great post!

But one question: How do you really feel??

Old 10-22-2008, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
Let's check out what Biden, his wife,Obama and Michelle too and see how much they spend on clothes.
For folks that worry about every detail of Gov Palin, why are you not just as worried about Barry??
More double standards.
"Barry" has been wearing the same pair of shoes for the entire campaign.

"Senator Obama was doing press interviews by telephone in a holding room between events. Sometime later as he was getting ready to begin his event, he asked me if I was photographing his shoes. When I said yes, he told me that he had already had them resoled once since he entered the race a year earlier. Providence, R.I., 3/1/2008."

Old 10-22-2008, 05:58 AM

2,418 posts, read 4,273,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
Sarah Palin's Clothing Allowance: $150,000 - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/thenation/20081022/cm_thenation/45374662 - broken link)

"According to financial disclosure records, the accessorizing began in early September and included bills from Saks Fifth Avenue in St. Louis and New York for a combined $49,425.74. The records also document a couple of big-time shopping trips to Neiman Marcus in Minneapolis, including one $75,062.63 spree in early September. The RNC also spent $4,716.49 on hair and makeup through September after reporting no such costs in August," goes the account. "Politico asked the McCain campaign for comment, explicitly noting the $150,000 in expenses for department store shopping and makeup consultation that were incurred immediately after Palin's announcement. Pre-September reports do not include similar costs."

This was discussed on AC360 last night. Anderson asked David Gergen (advisor to three republican and one democrat president) if this is normal. He said he has never heard of anything like this in a presidential campaign.

So since McCain's campaign was funded publicly, we now know that the money we allocate for the Presidential Election fund on our tax returns each year is being spent so Sarah Palin and her family can wear clothing from Sacks and Nieman Marcus. These are two of the most expensive department stores out there.

I don't find this to be evidence of fiscal responsibility.

Big deal...you don't think your contributions to the Democratic Party paid for any of Obama's slick designer suits?

C'mon, let's talk about something of substance, like how Obama's tax increase on small business will send the economy into an economic tailspin.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:00 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,075,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
The campaign's financial disclosure records indicate that roughly $150k was spent last month on Palin's and her family's new clothing, which is completely unprecedented in a Presidential campaign.
This is a simple, over-the-top, excessive spending disgrace!

Saks Fifth Avenue and Neiman Marcus! Well, that's how the McCain's spend, so why should anyone be surprised. I think Macy's would have sufficed.

The economy is crashing around us and these "big time spenders" blew $150K on clothing for the Palin family? I hope those that contributed to the campaign are happy with the wardrobe. We wouldn't want disappointed contributors now, would we?

Old 10-22-2008, 06:01 AM

33,639 posts, read 37,332,281 times
Jeez, I thought Palin said that she shops at Walmart!

Old 10-22-2008, 06:03 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,462,944 times
Yeah, these people are really in touch with "Joe the Plumber".

Old 10-22-2008, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
Let's check out what Biden, his wife,Obama and Michelle too and see how much they spend on clothes.
For folks that worry about every detail of Gov Palin, why are you not just as worried about Barry??
More double standards.
They seem to spend their own money on clothes. And since McCain is spending tax dollars on his campaign, they our spending our money on her clothes. 150k's worth.

And Republicans made fun of a $400 haircut.

I'm no fashion expert, but it doesn't look like the Obama's are shopping at Saks.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:06 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,326,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post

What do you mean by "it could have been a donation to the homeless shelter"? Who said anything about a homeless shelter?
Actually that isnt what it says, it says money was spent there, it doesnt say why. Could have been for napkin holders for a fundraiser for all we know..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections