Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 07:01 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,547,320 times

Advertisements

After hearing for the last three hours on Morning Joe about this subject I will say this. The reason people don't like this is several. One, the McCain campaign and she herself has built her up as this hockey Mom. Sorry everyday women don't get to spend that on clothing. If they get to buy clothing after bills and taking care of their kids if they have any. She is fake and we know that. This isn't a issue just about clothing. It is an issue about how people feel about this women. She isn't prepared , she does little interviews excepeot for now because they have no money so its free and they need that. She has been found in Tropper gate thing to less than innocent. Now this billing her own state for her children to come with her thing. She looks like a fool when she does get talked to. She can't even share what the VP does. She has said things at her rallies that promote hate and anger in people and stands there and smiles. She talks of theirs and ours. She is a joke. People are angry and it is bottled up. People in these times won't go for this kind of crap . People are fighting to pay a bill and put food on the table. They are trying to explain to their chlildren why Christmas will be lean or why they are eating different things to try and cut the food bill. They are trying to feel less of a failure to their children when they loose their jobs or hear their children say we can have something when Daddy gets another job. Would this be a big deal at another time it may not but not here and not this time. McCain and his how many houses and cars. Polls show that she is dragging down McCain more than Bush. Who thought that would be possible. McCain has hurt himself and she has sure helped. Obama up 10 points
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 07:06 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,965,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I haven't seen any thing debunking it..that said..I really don't care how much Sarah or Michelle spend on their clothes..they are in the public eye on a world stage....
Cripes I think they took Jackie Kennedy to task for the same thing back in the day

As far as donating the clothes...I don't think they go directly to a homeless shelter, that's insane. they will more then likely be auctioned off with the proceeds going to a charity
snopes.com: Michelle Obama and Room Service

De-Bunked.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:11 AM

13,432 posts, read 28,855,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Thanks..

Old 10-22-2008, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Thanks..
Anytime

Old 10-22-2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Anytime

Still don't care on what either spends on clothes..what does bug me is this is one of the ugliest, nasty campaigns on both sides I've ever seen

Old 10-22-2008, 07:24 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,109,394 times
It is well known that political candidates (and often their spouses) spend outrageous amounts of money on consultants who coach them on how to act in press interviews, on stage, voice inflection, etc. Speech writers make an insane amount of money so that our candidates can literally be "talking heads", reading words that someone else wrote.

Candidates spend huge sums of money on campaign materials. Campaign managers make WAY more than Obama's magic "$250K is rich" cut-off. Campaign offices cost money to run; workers need salaries (a lot more of them are paid than volunteer). A :30 spot on a prime time TV show is an unbelievable amount of money and, as someone who has been in the advertising and marketing business for 20+ years, I can tell you that you can't purchase just ONE ad to effectively reach your audience. So count on millions there.

I'm not defending Sarah Palin or the reports about the clothing expenses. I'm trying to point out that the entire campaign funding and expense issue is out of control. With the economy the way it is, people losing their homes and jobs left and right, government spending $700 billion of our money to bail out corrupt crooks and Wall St., don't you think that this money would have been put to better use if it had ALL been donated? I'm not just talking about this election or even the Presidential election. I think it's insane that politicians, most of whom by nature have never held a "real" job in their lives, should not be spending these insane amounts of time and money throwing propaganda at us in their attempt to keep their jobs for another 2-4 years. Which also begs the question, who is doing their job while they are out campaigning?

At least Mitt Romney spent his own money on his campaign.

p.s. Back to the topic at hand, I have one observation about the GOP's alleged spending on Palin. Why does the "before" picture look pretty much the same as the "after" picture? I've seen photos of her in the governor's office in Alaska. She doesn't look much different. At least Hillary obviously benefitted from the image coaching and expense laid out during the Clinton campaign. Her "after" look was much more polished than her "before". And she continues to update and refine her look.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Still don't care on what either spends on clothes..what does bug me is this is one of the ugliest, nasty campaigns on both sides I've ever seen
Agreed. The issues and their policies keep getting overshadowed thanks to the garbage each campaign tries to push out there. We are in some serious trouble and neither is a solution.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:56 AM

382 posts, read 591,281 times
Now whose the Average Joe now?

Old 10-22-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Agreed. The issues and their policies keep getting overshadowed thanks to the garbage each campaign tries to push out there. We are in some serious trouble and neither is a solution.

oh I so agree!!!! We are in serious trouble no matter whom is elected

Old 10-22-2008, 08:40 AM

2,862 posts, read 9,575,795 times
I just love how these 'mavericks' are going to cut out pork spending and 'veto' all those bills with any outlandish spending...But they have no qualms on spending tons of money on clothes? MmmmmK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections