Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 08:15 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,493,973 times

Advertisements

I'm finding out that a lot of who people who donated to Obama's campaign had never donated to a campaign before --like me.

Obama's grassroots fundraising capabilities are running circles around McCain. Republicans just are not enthusiastic enough about their candidate, and it's showing.

I love it. And you can cry all you want about Obama's money being suspicious, but without proof, silly accusations are nothing but howls in the wind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 08:37 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
Obama's grassroots fundraising capabilities are running circles around McCain. Republicans just are not enthusiastic enough about their candidate, and it's showing.
Obama is just lucky that Ron Paul never was able to get the attention he deserved. He easily would have rivaled the support that you see for Obama.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:41 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,849,301 times
Quote:
Obama is just lucky that Ron Paul never was able to get the attention he deserved. He easily would have rivaled the support that you see for Obama.
Perhaps. Or maybe it's just that so many of his fan decided to go back through past issues of his "constiuent newsletters" and found the "anti Black" (notice I didn't say racist-because then you would accuse me of being racist) tone more to the liking of the Rush Limbaughs and Michael Savages of the world.

Or it might be that no one wanted to waste their vote on another "cranky old guy" who looked like....... Never mind.

golfgod

Old 10-22-2008, 08:43 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Perhaps. Or maybe it's just that so many of his fan decided to go back through past issues of his "constiuent newsletters" and found the "anti Black" (notice I didn't say racist-because then you would accuse me of being racist) tone more to the liking of the Rush Limbaughs and Michael Savages of the world.

Or it might be that no one wanted to waste their vote on another "cranky old guy" who looked like....... Never mind.

golfgod
Well, that is a little bit mis-informed, and short sighted, but um to summarize my response to that: No, not really.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,241 times
Default what a waste

what a waste of $900 million dollars...that money could have been well spent else where. such as poverty, schooling, help at disaster areas, improving crime control, etc...

Old 11-10-2008, 10:01 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,933,806 times
^You have to spend all that money you raise on a campaign on the campaign. He had to spend it. McCain spent billions also, and all that money will get pushed back out into the economy.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:03 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1878 View Post
After the liar goes back on his pledge to use public finance we now witness one of the most excessive and wasteful examples of spending every in an election...

I know the spin is that these are "private donations" mostly of small denominations, but anyone who believes that has rose colored glasses on... We all know about Obama's "bundlers"....

Not only did he break his pledge, but he has discovered and created every way possible to use money to influence an election.

This country is in economic crisis and he sees it fit to spend almost a BILLION dollars on his quest for power...

Obama, ready at day 1... to spread your wealth around!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer471983 View Post
what a waste of $900 million dollars...that money could have been well spent else where. such as poverty, schooling, help at disaster areas, improving crime control, etc...
Is someone telling you that campaign money is taxpayer money?

Also I notice the amount you all claim has been going up and up - I've seen $1B on here. OpenSecrets.org says $640M.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:20 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times
$700,000,000 is a lot of cash. I think the American election cycle should be shortened. How long was this election campaign, was it 2 years? Also, how do the Americans know exactly where all this money came from. Did most of it come from the internet? Is it possible for enemies of the US to donate with out being tracked or even friendly foreign money in general?

Old 11-10-2008, 10:22 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
700,000,000,000 is a lot of cash. I think the American election cycle should be shortened. How long was this election campaign, was it 2 years? Also, how do the Americans know exactly where all this money came from. Didn't much of it come from the internet? Is it possible for enemies of the US to donate with out being tracked or even friendly foreign moneys in general?
Not to be rude but $700B is the first bailout amount

Old 11-10-2008, 10:26 AM

528 posts, read 1,462,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1878 View Post
After the liar goes back on his pledge to use public finance we now witness one of the most excessive and wasteful examples of spending every in an election...

I know the spin is that these are "private donations" mostly of small denominations, but anyone who believes that has rose colored glasses on... We all know about Obama's "bundlers"....

Not only did he break his pledge, but he has discovered and created every way possible to use money to influence an election.

This country is in economic crisis and he sees it fit to spend almost a BILLION dollars on his quest for power...

Obama, ready at day 1... to spread your wealth around!
This post smells fishy (along with the poster who just came about as of Oct 08) - anyone else think so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections