Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 08:27 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,340,283 times

Advertisements

What is it you are WAITING for? A hand out? You got one this year with your "economic stimulus" check. Is someone telling you that you can not get a government backed student loan so you can get a better education to enable you to get a better job? Is someone telling you that you can not leave your states boarders so you can move to where better work and pay is? Is someone telling you that you are not allowed to start your own business with a government backed seed capital loan?
These are all available to you what are you waiting for again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 08:29 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,966,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
I have been waiting for the trickle down effect for 8 years...NOT WORKING FOR ME REAL WELL...Time for a serious change...
I hear actually working does wonders. To each their own though.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:30 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,191,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK2Westchester View Post
Baracks plan is much more feasibly which is to go, line by line, and cut programs that DO NOT WORK. Take programs that are working and MAKE THEM BETTER.
Please list some of the programs Obama has proposed to cut? Ooh, he didnt say.. You just take him at his word that he'll find "the right ones".

Old 10-22-2008, 08:32 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,559,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I hear actually working does wonders. To each their own though.

How do you know I don't work?

Old 10-22-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
What is it you are WAITING for? A hand out? You got one this year with your "economic stimulus" check. Is someone telling you that you can not get a government backed student loan so you can get a better education to enable you to get a better job? Is someone telling you that you can not leave your states boarders so you can move to where better work and pay is? Is someone telling you that you are not allowed to start your own business with a government backed seed capital loan?
Many years ago I was looking to "improve" my life so I went to the bookstore and picked up books on computers. I studied on my own, learning the basics (picked up an old computer nobody wanted and played with it as I was learning) and eventually improved to the point where I received multiple certifications in the field. All done on my own, of my own effort, with my own money I saved on the side while I was working.

Then when I could afford it (saving and preparing), I went to school in that field. My wife also worked and on the side took online classes to get her BS and eventually her MBA.

Funny how we didn't need anyone to pay for us, we worked just like everyone else, made less money than many people who claimed they were being put down by the system and yet we were able to excel?

I understand some people have "hard times", "situations out of their control" where there are few options to recover, but if that is the majority of people out there, then we have a much much bigger problem on our hands. I don't think that is the issue though, I think those people in those cases are a minority. I think the rest are people who love to make excuses, love to blame everyone else as to their problems. Because they do so, they never learn, they never improve, and they wallow in their own self pity and nurse from failure as a crutch.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:38 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,185,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Please list some of the programs Obama has proposed to cut? Ooh, he didnt say.. You just take him at his word that he'll find "the right ones".

Oh please, until you are sitting in that chair and have everything laid out in front of you and your team, NEITHER ONE can state specific, nor should they without 100% of the information. But then again this IS politics, right?

Sure, there ARE OBVIOUS things that should be phased out like the 10 billion be month in Iraq.

But Obama has already mentioned that. You just werent listening.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:40 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,340,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK2Westchester View Post
huh??

You do realize that means cutting ALL federal spending for cancer research, needed social programs, technology research, state aid, foreign aid, etc... ITS RETARDED.

Baracks plan is much more feasibly which is to go, line by line, and cut programs that DO NOT WORK. Take programs that are working and MAKE THEM BETTER.

How does freezing EVERYTHING help Americans???
We need a freeze on spending to sort out what should get funded and what shouldn't. All the above that you mentioned, yes should get funded and they will. But should "save the strange caterpillar" fund get millions? Or how about Just keep feeding the healthy, capable yet lazy welfare recipients year after year without making them go get a job. Lets keep handing out Section 8 vouchers to lazy people with their hand out without a thought in the world to getting a job. Do you know how many government funded recipients (such as welfare, food stamps, WICK, Section 8, HUD, Rural development, etc.) are drug users, criminals and such? Do a comparison of criminal records verses recipients of these funds, you would find a large amount are one in the same. Oh, but wait, there is NO over sight of that kind of thing. There is NO transparency of who gets those funds. That is our government at work. McCain wants to revamp these kinds of systems and you need to freeze the fundings to these organizations and make them open all their books before they get another penny of our money.
Why should my hard earned tax money continue to feed this kind of crap?
We need the freeze to revamp these government backed, with our tax dollars, programs that our money keeps feeding and just makes this situation worse.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:43 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,185,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Blah Blah Blah.

The "trickle down effect" is a commonly known term that assumes that in times of a recession or depression the goverment should give greatly to the RICH in the hopes that it will eventually "trickle down" to the needy.

This is Bush/McCain doctrine. Didnt 'ya know!?

The trickle down effect makes it much harder for poorer americans to get ahead EVEN WITH JOBS.

THe trickle down effect doesnt give tax breaks to the poor, it gives tax breaks to the RICH.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:46 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,336,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Many years ago I was looking to "improve" my life so I went to the bookstore and picked up books on computers. I studied on my own, learning the basics (picked up an old computer nobody wanted and played with it as I was learning) and eventually improved to the point where I received multiple certifications in the field. All done on my own, of my own effort, with my own money I saved on the side while I was working.

Then when I could afford it (saving and preparing), I went to school in that field. My wife also worked and on the side took online classes to get her BS and eventually her MBA.

Funny how we didn't need anyone to pay for us, we worked just like everyone else, made less money than many people who claimed they were being put down by the system and yet we were able to excel?

I understand some people have "hard times", "situations out of their control" where there are few options to recover, but if that is the majority of people out there, then we have a much much bigger problem on our hands. I don't think that is the issue though, I think those people in those cases are a minority. I think the rest are people who love to make excuses, love to blame everyone else as to their problems. Because they do so, they never learn, they never improve, and they wallow in their own self pity and nurse from failure as a crutch.

I agree. It amazes me how there is such a lack of personal responsibility in this country anymore. Many people have come out of dire situations by working 2 or 3 jobs and sacrificing a lot. However, today, the mentality of sitting around, playing victim and expecting others to take care of "me" seems to be more prevalent.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
How do you know I don't work?
Explain to me how it is that you were not able to improve your life? How you were unable to educate yourself, to excel and exceed in life? Tell me how you were not able to find opportunities to move up, to move out, to find something that will push you forward to success?

Trickle down does not mean "money falls and lands in your lap", it means that by lessening the burden on those who have money, they invest more, they spend more, and they take more risks. By doing that, they create more jobs, build more infrastructure which creates more opportunities for all levels of society.

It is the opportunities to which trickle down and those who are willing to take hold of them can succeed, and improve their life.

A person who is working in a system as such and is willing to improve, to grasp those opportunities, they will succeed, they will improve.

Your response is one of a person who ignored those opportunities, who didn't work for them, who expected to be given when they should have been looking for them. I am not talking about a "job", I am talking about working. You claim it did nothing for you, and I said that "I hear actually working does wonders". Sitting in a job seeking no advancement, seeking no avenue to educate and improve ones self is not "working". It is merely, being, merely a stagnation. So have you really been working?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections