Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 09:44 AM

25,867 posts, read 20,804,252 times

Advertisements

The entire affair just smacks of bad judgment. The McCain campaign has been traveling around the country trying to convince voters that they are not 'elite', not 'country club' Republicans and denigrating their opponents for being 'out of touch' with ordinary people. These are the people who want to tax my health benefits, who want to continue to give tax cuts to the top 2% of earners in this country. The same people who either don't know how many houses they own, get free cell towers and who may have had a house built for free.

I don't begrudge anyone the fruits of their labors. I think everyone is entitled to live whatever lifestyle they choose based on an honest life of work. But don't insult me and millions of other people by trying to convince me that you know how the 'other half' lives when spending $150K on a wardrobe is considered 'trivial.'

I remember the days and days of mooing over John Edwards $400.00 haircuts.
Now the Gov. is supposed to get a free pass?

This is, and I will use the C-D word for the day, hypocrisy at its worst.

From Politico, who broke the story:

"The business of primping and dressing on the campaign trail has become fraught with political risk in recent years as voters increasingly see an elite Washington out of touch with their values and lifestyles.

In 2000, Democrat Al Gore took heat for changing his clothing hues. And in 2006, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) was ribbed for two hair styling sessions that cost about $3,000.

Then, there was Democrat John Edwards’ $400 hair cuts in 2007 and Republican McCain’s $520 black leather Ferragamo shoes this year.

A review of similar records for the campaign of Democrat Barack Obama and the Democratic National Committee turned up no similar spending.

But all the spending by other candidates pales in comparison to the GOP outlay for the Alaska governor whose expensive, designer outfits have been the topic of fashion pages and magazines."

RNC shells out $150K for Palin fashion - Jeanne Cummings - Politico.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

3,413 posts, read 8,861,372 times
Broker Dave, do you have a source as to his clothing spend? And anything about whether the campaign paid for these supposed $5,000 shoes and $5,000 suit?

8,299 posts, read 8,634,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
obama was supposed to do public financing, but lied to mccain that he would do whatever mccain did to make it fair. he went private and has been taking "private" funds which many believe to be coming from the middle east.

but i imagine months of a hairdresser/makeup team traveling to make sure palins hair looks good at all times costs a few bucks.
"Coming from the middle east"? Good lord. Do you have no trust in the CIA and homeland security to ferret out such things if remotely true? Not very American of you.

Obama was being a good capitalist by maximizing the pool of money he could use for his operating expenses. Simple as that.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:49 AM

1,286 posts, read 2,924,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
Broker Dave, do you have a source as to his clothing spend? And anything about whether the campaign paid for these supposed $5,000 shoes and $5,000 suit?
he isn't wearing $100 suits, rofl. look at him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
"Coming from the middle east"? Good lord. Do you have no trust in the CIA and homeland security to ferret out such things if remotely true? Not very American of you.

Obama was being a good capitalist by maximizing the pool of money he could use for his operating expenses. Simple as that.
he simply lied about what he would do. another character trait of obama. private financing where it is PRIVATE. $700 million un-sourced funds to mccains $70 million public and sourced funds.

do you understand how deceptive that is?

Old 10-22-2008, 09:51 AM

15,217 posts, read 30,677,918 times
"Joe Sixpack, I'm your candidate. By the way, you'd have to work for four or five years to pay for this outfit I'm wearing."

Old 10-22-2008, 11:17 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,480,157 times
They choose her, even though she's not qualified. Sexist.
They hide her from the press. Sexist.
They spend $150,000 dolling her up. Sexist.

For all the times I've been offended by the media discussing what a female candidate was wearing instead of what she was thinking, this is worse. Her own party is doing this to her.

And yes, at a price tag of $150,000 this is an issue.

It reflects poor judgment in a time of economic crisis. It reflects deep hypocrisy on claims of fighting excess spending. And most of all, it reflects that the Republican Party thought they could sell Sarah more by putting her in a pretty dress than by allowing her to field questions from the reporting press. Disgusting.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:26 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,037,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
A photographer following the Obama campaign took this photo last March.

http://digitaljournalist.org/issue08.../callie/19.jpg

Obama told the photographer that he'd already had the shoes resoled once during the campaign due to all the walking around he was doing. Obama also talks about his wife and staffers giving him a hard time for wearing a belt that is 15 years old.

He is not spending $150K on clothes. Sounds like his grandmother raised him to be frugal, like most good midwesterners are.
There is just more proof why you fools are voting for Obama. You believe anything he and his handlers tell you.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:32 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,493,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoppingCartLaw View Post
What's next? It looks like Palin is under the microcope again. Will it be her nose hairs that will be on the news?
The only thing we see under the microscope is clothes. Nothing else there.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:47 AM

48,402 posts, read 22,106,101 times
(and we havent even mentioned the $8000.00 that John McCain has spent on make-up thus far in the campaign.)

Old 10-22-2008, 12:10 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,488,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
"Joe Sixpack, I'm your candidate. By the way, you'd have to work for four or five years to pay for this outfit I'm wearing."
"Joe Sixpack, I'm your candidate, but you will NEVER live like me".......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections