Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 04:09 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,692,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post

So IMO as a society we are still following a couple of these commandments. This of course is my opinion. If the others break down it would be a total breakdown of society. The people that use one quote or one book as a basis for their life or goals tend to be a very small percentage and most tend to try and look at the whole book as guidance. It's when people read the bible and gain a moral high ground instead of humility that things can get dangerous. Again all my opinion.
Agree. This applies to all religious texts. Education should also have a humbling effect, which it often does not. Arrogance can lead to many mistakes - some of which I think the Republicans -because of years of power - are making now. In a way this leads back to OP's comments - that the Republican party will become stronger only if the bus includes people like Powell, Hagel, et al and not be ruled by the more vocal extreme element currently seemingly in charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 04:12 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,586,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Now, TomDot. if you are a Bush supporter, please tell me why and explain to me how he has no culpability for this mess the country is right now. Your reputation is on the line and you're on the clock.
*tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick*

Old 10-22-2008, 04:19 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,173,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I'm not really sure why the party is breaking up. I attribute it to leadership and lack of a strong figure. For a while during the republican rein in the congress the democrats were in this type of disarray. No one wants to stand up for Bush because of the approval rating and it's election time. So it kind of means they have no leadership and Bush has no backing.
Lies, corruption, manipulation, etc and so forth. There are many reasons not related to religion, but ethics for why the GOP is losing this election. Would you want to be the captain of the titanic?

Old 10-22-2008, 04:27 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,763,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
How is the religious right ruining the country?
How aren't they, and for a leader that has probably never read a page from the bible (i.e. bush). The religious right are not the sharpest tools in the shed, but then, who really expects them to be... the best religion is no religion. One doesn't need TV evangelists and the devil a.k.a Jerry Falwell a.k.a. RIP 'may he rot in h3ll' to teach them morals. Rationalism, temperance, patience, and an education works very well too... if one is that desperate to believe in anything, I say believe in Captain Sulu! stir, stir, stir...

Old 10-22-2008, 04:30 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,186,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Seriously, troll, get off my back.
Lets count the number of postings that you said something stupid an then compounded the issue by saying something even stupider..

Old 10-22-2008, 04:35 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,763,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Lets count the number of postings that you said something stupid an then compounded the issue by saying something even stupider..
Monkey see, monkey do?

Old 10-22-2008, 04:39 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,186,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekka-maki View Post
Monkey see, monkey do?
Possibly, but I'm not the one who claimed to have an answer to this question
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
How is the religious right ruining the country?
And the came out and said something stupider then F... Since he claimed to have the answer, asking for him to explain is not out of the question..

Old 10-22-2008, 04:42 PM

68,348 posts, read 54,477,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
While whitty, you also failed to come up with an intelligent answer.

Here, lets give you another chance

Well, I never said they were ruining the country but:

I do believe they're allowed far too much leeway in making political commentary. If they want to play the game, they should be taxed on their considerable income like any other lobbying corporation.

I do believe the denial of science and teaching children the denial of science is a bad thing for the country, it will put us even further behind the rest of the world in technology driven areas.

I do believe it's bad for the country when people make decisions based on dogma rather than fact.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:56 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,205,964 times
Folks, lets not turn this thread into yet another of the endless neener neener Seussian butter battles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Agree. This applies to all religious texts. Education should also have a humbling effect, which it often does not. Arrogance can lead to many mistakes - some of which I think the Republicans -because of years of power - are making now. In a way this leads back to OP's comments - that the Republican party will become stronger only if the bus includes people like Powell, Hagel, et al and not be ruled by the more vocal extreme element currently seemingly in charge.
Snap.

Most past Presidents have included in their cabinets a voice of contrary opinion, a nay sayer if you will. Mr. Doom and gloom who spends all day figuring out the many ways something won't work. Purpose being, is that this person shows the weak points in a given position, issue, or whatever, in order to conclude with the best possible options.

The power, authority, and strength that can be a bonus can also at times be a disadvantage, when it is the power, authority, and strength that is worshiped or admired instead of that what it is supposed to support or progress. "Great job Brownie!", is but one example of many that shows what can happen when we dismiss those voices of contrary opinion. Its that growing cliche' of running a nation like a football team instead of a company.

The point of the bus analogy is to point out the great lengths to which people will go to cling to set of ideas or beliefs in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. I mean really, to call Jimmy Carter anti-American and suggest he is a terrorist sympathizer is extreme but just one example of how this type of behavior or mob momentum can result in the most absurd course of action.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:20 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,499,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Lies, corruption, manipulation, etc and so forth. There are many reasons not related to religion, but ethics for why the GOP is losing this election. Would you want to be the captain of the titanic?
Is it drama night? The democrats didn't destroy themselves they united for this election. Otherwise for a while they were not exactly united.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections