Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2008, 09:31 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,097,659 times

Advertisements

Forget Florida. (remember how many military absentee ballots were not counted in 2004?) This is worse. In many, many other states (my home state of MA included), it seems as though the powers that be good give two sh*ts whether or not our service men and women stationed overseas ever get the opportunity to vote. In fact, Secy of State (MA) Galvin was *quoted* as saying he didn't care! The federal government had to FORCE him to comply to get those ballots mailed by a certain date.

This is insanity and unacceptable, especially in light of the fuss being made over a typo in the Vietnamese ballot and people crying "foul--these poor Vietnamese people can't vote"--huh? Can't they read English????). If you live in MA, call or write Galvin's office and protest. If you don't live in MA, call or write the official in charge of mailing absentee ballots and let them know that YOU care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 09:38 AM

425 posts, read 666,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
Forget Florida. (remember how many military absentee ballots were not counted in 2004?) This is worse. In many, many other states (my home state of MA included), it seems as though the powers that be good give two sh*ts whether or not our service men and women stationed overseas ever get the opportunity to vote. In fact, Secy of State (MA) Galvin was *quoted* as saying he didn't care! The federal government had to FORCE him to comply to get those ballots mailed by a certain date.

This is insanity and unacceptable, especially in light of the fuss being made over a typo in the Vietnamese ballot and people crying "foul--these poor Vietnamese people can't vote"--huh? Can't they read English????). If you live in MA, call or write Galvin's office and protest. If you don't live in MA, call or write the official in charge of mailing absentee ballots and let them know that YOU care.
Great Post!

Thanks for the info - I'm emailing them right now

Old 10-23-2008, 09:50 AM

Thank you for caring. I'm amazed more people aren't incensed over this.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:52 AM

13,186 posts, read 15,003,647 times
As a veteran myself I couldn't care less.

Every adult has a responsiblity to know is State voting regulations. I know for a fact these soldiers have had ample opportunity to vote, the military has promoted voting for years now. The election has been in the front page for a year now.

One other thing, stop blaming voting official for following the law. If you don't like the law get it changed. Their job is to follow the law. Period.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:55 AM

13,186 posts, read 15,003,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
Thank you for caring. I'm amazed more people aren't incensed over this.

Incensed over what exactly? He doesnt say except for someone is following the law???

I suppose he wants military ballots to be free of any rules that civilian ballots must adhere to.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:01 AM

It's tough to vote without an absentee ballot when you are over there in the big sandbox. If the ELECTED official doesn't care and has to be FORCED by the Federal Government to mail the things out--well that says something about how YOUR government cares about the military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections