Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 12:52 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,532,478 times

Advertisements

Cons, did you see your taxes go up under Bill Clinton (save the top 2%)?
No, so why would your taxes go up under Obama, since his tax plan is almost the same and even a little more generous?
Please, stop with the tax crap. The cons just love to think they can live in the US for almost free and not help take care of each other and/or spend on wars, but just have those under 18, pay for later when they hit their 40's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 12:56 PM

9,376 posts, read 20,814,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Cons, did you see your taxes go up under Bill Clinton (save the top 2%)?
No, so why would your taxes go up under Obama, since his tax plan is almost the same and even a little more generous?
Please, stop with the tax crap. The cons just love to think they can live in the US for almost free and not help take care of each other and/or spend on wars, but just have those under 18, pay for later when they hit their 40's.
Taxes were increased on everyone who made over 30k a year. Both houses of congress approved this increase in the summer of 93. Virtually everyone had their income taxes increased. Clinton broke his promise 3 weeks into office.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:03 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,532,478 times
Even if that is true, I'm willing to pay miminal amounts of extra taxes to have a better quality of life for all Americans (not just the rich). Hell, I'd be even for a national sales tax of 1% (max amount of $10) for purchases under $1000 to get national health care.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:10 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,734,594 times
Quote:
Even if that is true, I'm willing to pay miminal amounts of extra taxes to have a better quality of life for all Americans (not just the rich). Hell, I'd be even for a national sales tax of 1% (max amount of $10) for purchases under $1000 to get national health care.
If you're a single parent with one child that makes about 40,000 a year you will receive an extra 9 dollars a week from Obama's tax cut. How exactly will that give someone a better quality of life? Heck even if you make min. wage you could probably work one extra hour a week and get that. I'd rather the rich guy have his 700,000 dollars and invest it or expand his business and create more jobs. It will do good for more people.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:15 PM

9,376 posts, read 20,814,513 times
Quote:
How about national food? Should we enact a surcharge for those who make over 70k a year to provide government-run food distribution centers?

This is where the entire argument begins to crumble for the left. You have right to PURSUE liberty, happiness. You don't have a right TO it.

An exchange shortly after the Constitutional Convention of 1787:

AUTHOR: Benjamin Franklin (1706–90)
QUOTATION: “Well, Doctor, what have we got—a Republic or a Monarchy?”

“A Republic, if you can keep it.”

ATTRIBUTION: The response is attributed to BENJAMIN FRANKLIN—at the close of the Constitutional Convention of 1787, when queried as he left Independence Hall on the final day of deliberation—in the notes of Dr. James McHenry, one of Maryland’s delegates to the Convention.

We aren't poised to keep that Republic much longer, are we?

Old 10-24-2008, 01:26 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
How about national food? Should we enact a surcharge for those who make over 70k a year to provide government-run food distribution centers?
Why stop there, in most of this country you need heat, why not nationalize the gas company? All humans need water, why not nationalize the water companies? And whaty happens when Hospitals go bankrupt under a national healthcare, (anyone who thinks they wont need to research UCR payments), will we nationlize the hospitals? Then the Doctors because surely their pays will be cut..

Wait, I better stop, some liberal will like these ideas..

Old 10-24-2008, 01:38 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,349,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
I was asking the question to see what others thought. I'm sure plenty of Obama supporters on here are still convinced they are getting a tax cut.
I will gladly pay (a bit) more today, if he get's us out of Iraq tomorrow.

Last edited by plannine; 10-24-2008 at 01:55 PM..

Old 10-24-2008, 02:02 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,480,300 times
Default It's gonna be awesome!

Old 10-24-2008, 02:06 PM

5,477 posts, read 12,252,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingclouds View Post
yeah that is what you guys cried when Clinton fixed the problem, but he left a surplus not deficit when he left the WH unlike Reagan, Bush Sr, Baby Bush who mowed right thru that, until now china owns our you know whats.

Clinton also made more Jobs and left a booming economy. Trickle down doesn't work, giving business handouts doesnt work.. PROVEN, get over yourself. Im tired of giving the greedy corporations a tax break, while most everyone else suffers and then they turn around and want us to bail them out and give them corporate welfare... THEN
they move their plants and our jobs to mexico, india and such.. but still want our money? Oh man.. want some coffee??
Clinton also promised not to raise taxes on the middle class and did an about face on that. Seniors still remember that little move. I would have respect for Obama if he just came out and said he was going to raise taxes rather than the regular bait and switch. As it stands, change is really the same.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:22 PM

5,477 posts, read 12,252,326 times
Quote:
Well since you're willing to do that, then you'll have no problem with the World Poverty Tax that Obamaboy plans to slap on the US Taxpayers, based on x amount of the GNP (I think it's .07%) as mandated by the UN. So now your tax dollars will go farther and you can feel even better about yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections