U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 03:28 PM

4,708 posts, read 7,975,792 times

Advertisements

Interestng metaphor

Dems predicting ‘earthquake’ election - Andy Barr - Politico.com
//
Carville likened the Washington political environment to pre-Hurricane Katrina New Orleans, saying that “there will be nothing left standing” after the election. He added that Republicans stand to lose “not just an election but a generation of voters.”
//
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 03:48 PM

23,203 posts, read 42,415,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Interestng metaphor

Dems predicting ‘earthquake’ election - Andy Barr - Politico.com
//
Carville likened the Washington political environment to pre-Hurricane Katrina New Orleans, saying that “there will be nothing left standing” after the election. He added that Republicans stand to lose “not just an election but a generation of voters.”
//
Kind of like 1980, when Reagan came to office, in a landslide that I predicted to the folks at the Officer's Club at Fort Lee, VA. They looked at me like I was crazy, but it was the right call. This time we'll see another landslide, back to where we were 28 years ago, towards the center, we've had enough of supply side / voodoo economics and "free" markets and the hatefulness of pulpit pounding neanderthals like Falwell, Robertson, et al.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:51 PM

3,088 posts, read 4,920,710 times
Yes, the comparison to Reagan is an apt one. . . it is obvious to a lot of us, now that "Reaganomics" does not work for the middle class, and does not work at all, longterm. I am hoping that we can, this time, remember the past, so that we do not repeat it!

Obama / Biden '08

Old 10-24-2008, 03:55 PM

19,921 posts, read 10,326,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Carville could be right. The brand is damaged.

The Republicans will have to rebuild the party and redefine the base. Don't be surprised if you start seeing guys like Jeb Bush, Rick Santorum and George Allen joining with old Newt Gingrich in making the rounds in the talk shows again! They are probably the ones who will be called upon the rebuild.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:41 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,288,185 times
"Until November 5, we are still the underdogs." ~ Michelle Obama

Keep talking, keep fighting, don't be complacent. And make sure everyone you know that can vote does vote.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:47 PM

31,057 posts, read 37,221,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
Yes, the comparison to Reagan is an apt one. . . it is obvious to a lot of us, now that "Reaganomics" does not work for the middle class, and does not work at all, longterm. I am hoping that we can, this time, remember the past, so that we do not repeat it!

Obama / Biden '08
let's make the comparison to Reagan after the election. To do it now is to set ourselves up to be being compared to Dewey after the election.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:51 PM

23,470 posts, read 29,501,785 times
Quote:

Obama / Biden '08
It did work for the middle class. They paid less in taxes in 1989 than they did in 1980. And the wealthy paid more in taxes in 1989 than in 1980.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:05 PM

543 posts, read 1,376,969 times
Quote:

Obama / Biden '08
What?! Not repeat it? I wish we could! The country grew the most under Reagan's two tenures, now I know you people are nuts. I pray to God that there is another person like Reagan to run someday, the man was brilliant.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:07 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,288,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njchick View Post
What?! I pray to God that there is another person like Reagan to run someday, the man was brilliant.

Your prayers will be answered on January 20 when Barack Obama is sworn in as POTUS.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:10 PM

23,095 posts, read 16,186,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njchick View Post
What?! Not repeat it? I wish we could! The country grew the most under Reagan's two tenures, now I know you people are nuts. I pray to God that there is another person like Reagan to run someday, the man was brilliant.
Reagon merely had some brillant moments, like in his proclamation before the Berlin Wall. But his running up the federal budget did not make him brilliant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections