Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 11:14 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,930,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centaurmyst View Post
WASHINGTON (AP) — Barack Obama has his William Ayers connection. Now John McCain may have an Iran-Contra connection. In the 1980s, McCain served on the advisory board to the U.S. chapter of an international group linked to ultra-right-wing death squads in Central America.
The U.S. Council for World Freedom aided rebels trying to overthrow the leftist government of Nicaragua. That landed the group in the middle of the Iran-Contra affair and in legal trouble with the Internal Revenue Service, which revoked the charitable organization's tax exemption.
The council created by retired Army Maj. Gen. John Singlaub was the U.S. chapter of the World Anti-Communist League, an international organization linked to former Nazi collaborators and ultra-right-wing death squads in Central America. After setting up the U.S. council, Singlaub served as the international league's chairman.
McCain's tie to Singlaub's council is undergoing renewed scrutiny after his campaign criticized Obama for his link to Ayers, a former radical who engaged in violent acts 40 years ago. Over the weekend, Democratic operative Paul Begala said on ABC's "This Week" that this "guilt by association" tactic could backfire on the McCain campaign by renewing discussion of McCain's service on the board of the U.S. Council for World Freedom, "an ultraconservative right-wing group."

See full article here:

The Associated Press: McCain linked to group in Iran-Contra affair
I see that you decided to not reply to the fact that you are all for Obama even though he is good friends with known people who hate whites and who hate the country. If you don't like it from one side, you can't say the other side is ok. Can't have it both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 11:16 AM

2,888 posts, read 7,142,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
I wonder if anyone else here has ever come across this website about Obama? Apparently it seems that it is a Jewish site that really is against Obama in every way.

Obama To Lead Fourth Reich | Real Jew News
We're answering your opening question by telling you that this website is not a Jewish site, rather it's a virulently anti-semitic site.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:17 AM

27,218 posts, read 46,799,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
From the site:

My Name Is Brother Nathanael Kapner.
I Am A "Street Evangelist."

I Grew Up As A Jew.
I Am Now An Orthodox Christian.

I Wish To Warn How Zionist Jews
Are Destroying Christianity Throughout The World

Headsup, people: this site has got all the hatred and wackiness you could ever find on the internet, and several bloody,graphic photos as well.

My husband and all his family are Jewish and will be voting for Obama.
My whole family is Jewish and will NOT, I repeat NOT vote for Obama ever!!! I have Jewish friends who for the first time will not vote for a Dem.!!!

11,135 posts, read 14,205,964 times
Quote:
I never said such a thing and neither did anyone else as far as I know. Selective reading comprehension?

I don't think any group thinks monolithic at all. In fact, I think it is funny that so many in this forum think that if someone claims they were or are a Hillary supporter and a Democrat then there is no way they are if they vote for McCain. I wonder why that is? Got any clues?
I cannot speak for how others think or feel, as again, no group is monolithic in its motivations.

As far as "selective reading comprehension", well I can also read between the lines. As someone who has probably read more threads and posts here than anyone else, I know which members post a certain way, approach arguments, sentiments, etc... The manner in which you posted a single Jewish website that insinuated that Jews or at least that one site was against Obama, to which they very well may be. Considering that this specific subject has come up numerous times before with accusations that Obama is a secret Muslim, terrorist connections, funded by Hamas, etc... I know what is being implied here, whether intentionally or not. The comprehension isn't selective but the conclusion may be.

808 posts, read 1,150,219 times
Quote:
I see that you decided to not reply to the fact that you are all for Obama even though he is good friends with known people who hate whites and who hate the country. If you don't like it from one side, you can't say the other side is ok. Can't have it both ways.
I told you past associations don't concern me. I only posted in this thread because it's hypocritical to imply that Obama isn't a good choice for Jews when there is actually more reasons to be concerned that McCain and Palin wouldn't be good for Jews. I provided necessary balance to this discussion. For me personally...I'm more concerned about the issues that impact me and Obama is the right choice for me in that respect. Since my title under my name says Independent for Obama I don't think anyone can doubt who I support. That being said...I do attempt to be fair.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
We're answering your opening question by telling you that this website is not a Jewish site, rather it's a virulently anti-semitic site.
I saw that, but that does not answer my question to Century, which she has decided to not answer. It also has nothing to do with my replies to other people in this thread.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I cannot speak for how others think or feel, as again, no group is monolithic in its motivations.

As far as "selective reading comprehension", well I can also read between the lines. As someone who has probably read more threads and posts here than anyone else, I know which members post a certain way, approach arguments, sentiments, etc... The manner in which you posted a single Jewish website that insinuated that Jews or at least that one site was against Obama, to which they very well may be. Considering that this specific subject has come up numerous times before with accusations that Obama is a secret Muslim, terrorist connections, funded by Hamas, etc... I know what is being implied here, whether intentionally or not. The comprehension isn't selective but the conclusion may be.
And you are accusing me of saying that all Jewish people are monolithic? I know that you have not read any post of mine that states that or even suggests it. Yesm you conclusion about me is WRONG and very selective and it proves a hige point.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:22 AM

808 posts, read 1,150,219 times
Quote:
I saw that, but that does not answer my question to Century, which she has decided to not answer. It also has nothing to do with my replies to other people in this thread.
I did answer it...twice now. Methinks you just don't like my answer, though.

To me, the past associations DO NOT MATTER on either side. I'm voting about the here and now and Obama better represents my views. I posted about McCain's questionable ties to provide BALANCE to this discussion, and to show those that these associations DO matter to that McCain is being a hypocrite complaining about Ayers because he has plenty of his own bad associations.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centaurmyst View Post
I told you past associations don't concern me. I only posted in this thread because it's hypocritical to imply that Obama isn't a good choice for Jews when there is actually more reasons to be concerned that McCain and Palin wouldn't be good for Jews. I provided necessary balance to this discussion. For me personally...I'm more concerned about the issues that impact me and Obama is the right choice for me in that respect. Since my title under my name says Independent for Obama I don't think anyone can doubt who I support. That being said...I do attempt to be fair.
I never said that he was a bad choice for Jews. I said that I had a few friends that are Jewish and they have told me that they were not voting for him. I also know some blacks and lots of Hispanics that aren't voting for him. So damn what? Does that make them all hypocritical?

You were the one that brought about McCains past associaltions and refuse to bring up anything about Obama's past associations. I will say the same that Hilltopper said...maybe not what you did say but what you didn't say and I came to my own conclusion.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:26 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,205,964 times
I haven't accused anyone of anything. I only come to my own conclusions, most of which I don't even share here, by the sheer volume of opinions that members offer up. I haven't offered any conclusion other than this thread was posted with a motivation and what appears to be an implication. I very well may be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time, so let me ask you then. Why did you post this thread in the manner in which you did. This way, my conclusion might be more accurate if you share your reasons, be they curiosity or suggestive of something else. Fair?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections