Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 08:51 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times

Advertisements

MYTH??? Organizations such as ACORN admit to turning in nearly 1/2 million fraudulent voter registrations (just this election cycle). They also have a habit of registering mostly democratic voters (of course they are non-partisan so that must be just a coincidence).

So, when it is time to check the validity of registrations it makes sense that more of the questionable registrations are for folks registered as democrats than republicans.

To say that checking the validity of registrations is suppression is ridiculous given the admitted registration fraud problem we have.

That doesn't excuse any legitimate acts of voter fraud on the republican side, but the article in the OP was referencing a particular situation and court case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 08:53 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Using the Department of Justice, friendly governors, and its usual propaganda outlets, the GOP has propagated the myth of voter fraud to purge the rolls of non-Republicans.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:54 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Organizations such as ACORN admit to turning in nearly 1/2 million fraudulent voter registrations (just this election cycle). They also have a habit of registering mostly democratic voters (of course they are non-partisan so that must be just a coincidence).

So, when it is time to check the validity of registrations it makes sense that more of the questionable registrations are for folks registered as democrats than republicans.

To say that checking the validity of registrations is suppression is ridiculous given the admitted registration fraud problem we have.

That doesn't excuse any legitimate acts of voter fraud on the republican side, but the article in the OP was referencing a particular situation and court case.
And that referenced article with supportive data said?
And the title of this thread said?
And the consistency between the thread title and the article was?
GOP busted for voter suppression the verdict is?

Old 10-27-2008, 08:55 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
How is that voter suppression? I am a Republican and my registration was purged because they apparently sent out something that was to verify my address and it was returned. My voter status was changed to inactive. If it was some big Republican plot to "suppress votes" then why are Republicans being taken off too? My husband is independent and same thing for him - they couldn't verify address so they changed him to inactive. We both re-registered (he changed from Independent to Republican ) so now we can vote.

AND, we have lived at the same address since 1986.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:57 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Not even your own link shows a guilty verdict..

U.S. District Judge Donald Molloy of Missoula didn't rule in the case, but issued a strongly worded order blasting the Republicans.

Due to TIMING, not that it has no merit..

Old 10-27-2008, 09:00 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,723,418 times
In 2004 in Louisiana they were handing out fliers stating that when you go to vote they will be checking each voter for outstanding warrants, parking violations, etc. Great way to supress turnout.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
In 2004 in Louisiana they were handing out fliers stating that when you go to vote they will be checking each voter for outstanding warrants, parking violations, etc. Great way to supress turnout.
LOL...this could be a great cost saving measure...get the criminals to come to you.

If they wanted it to be really effective they wouldn't pass out fliers first...just let them vote and then lock them up!!

Old 10-27-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
And that referenced article with supportive data said?
And the title of this thread said?
And the consistency between the thread title and the article was?
You didn't have any 'supportive data' for the article linked in the OP. Your wiki stuff is recounting 2000 and 2004 election year.

The title of the thread says 'GOP busted' when no one was....??

As for consistency, I will leave that to you to determine...your thread, your links. Personally, I don't see it.

Sorry, no verdict as pghquest pointed out.

Do you have any comments or opinion as to why you think this is voter suppression rather than a legitimate registration issue that should concern both parties?

Quote:
Republicans raised concerns with registered voters who live at addresses that differed from the addresses listed on their voter registration information. The party asked that county election officials ask voters to prove their current addresses.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:46 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
You didn't have any 'supportive data' for the article linked in the OP. Your wiki stuff is recounting 2000 and 2004 election year.

The title of the thread says 'GOP busted' when no one was....??

As for consistency, I will leave that to you to determine...your thread, your links. Personally, I don't see it.

Sorry, no verdict as pghquest pointed out.

Do you have any comments or opinion as to why you think this is voter suppression rather than a legitimate registration issue that should concern both parties?
I will leave that to the world decide as they watch Democracy unfold before their very eyes. They will be the ones to decide if Democracy is still alive and whether we practice what we preach. This is all in the eyes of each of us and it is being played out on a world stage.

Vote early and vote smart this time as the world is watching to see if we will make the same mistake again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections