Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 01:01 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,426,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Freedom isn't free. It's something that must be fought for.
Yes, primarily against the wretched thugs and gangsters in our own capital who "dream up wars for young men to die in."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 05:15 PM

8,064 posts, read 17,943,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I don't appreciate his service and sacrifice. It didn't benefit me, or anyone I know, or this country, or anyone else except a few Iran-allied theocrats in Baghdad. I feel pity, as one would at a suicide, but I feel no appreciation. Would you like me to fake it?
It would be far preferable to remain silent rather than trashing a vet. Or do you regularly accost disabled Iraq veterans you encounter in daily life, too? I thought this country learned something from the shameless treatment of Vietnam vets returning from the war. Guess some haven't.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:19 PM

31 posts, read 37,436 times
Quote:
I don't appreciate his service and sacrifice. It didn't benefit me, or anyone I know, or this country, or anyone else except a few Iran-allied theocrats in Baghdad. I feel pity, as one would at a suicide, but I feel no appreciation. Would you like me to fake it?
djacques:
Is there anything you do appreciate? Is there any conviction in your heart worth fighting for? Would you lay your life on the line for anything? Just wondering...

Old 11-01-2008, 05:32 PM

858 posts, read 1,495,289 times
Quote:
You are one pathetic human being.. And a poor example of what real American citizens are.

This video has been shown on a fox a couple times the last couple of days, if anyone didn't know...

Old 11-01-2008, 06:08 PM

355 posts, read 552,776 times
For generations members of my family have served in various branches of the military including the current one who has gone to Iraq. They have served during, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq. In the army, navy, marines, and the air force. They have served as enlisted and as officers. We even have documentation from the Civil War (both north and south), the war of 1812, and the Revolution. So don't you dare call me unpatriotic or not a real American. Attacking someone and calling them unpatriotic because they don’t agree with you goes against everything our founding fathers believed. Remember Patrick Henry? Look him up sometime.

[SIZE=3]No man thinks more highly than I do of the patriotism, as well as abilities, of the very worthy gentlemen who have just addressed the House. But different men often see the same subject in different lights; and, therefore, I hope it will not be thought disrespectful to those gentlemen if, entertaining as I do opinions of a character very opposite to theirs” Patrick Henry March 1775.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]By the way the title of the above speech is "Give me liberty or give me death"[/SIZE]

While I saw the need to go into Afghanistan I have never seen the need to go to Iraq. I think the Iraq war is a travesty and a tragedy. It was started by a neocon administration that went into office intending to invade Iraq. That has been well documented. At the same time genocide is being ignored in Darfur and other countries. The bravery of our young men and women in Iraq is not in question. The current administration used 9-11 as justification not only to wage war unnecessarily. They used it as an excuse to destroy our civil rights, our right to privacy, our right to habeas corpus, our right to due process. If you aren’t angry about that fine. But do not dare call me anything other than a real American. My ancestors fought so that you and I both could be free to speak openly. I won’t allow you or anyone else to take that away from me.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:55 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,776,394 times
Quote:
It would be far preferable to remain silent rather than trashing a vet.
Reminds me of those punk anarchists who like to spit in the faces of those serving. They are nothing but little cowards who need to get a good butt-kicking by a real man, or woman.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
So don't you dare call me unpatriotic or not a real American.
You need to put putrid creatures like this on ignore. They are so devoid of any values or sense of country - it is truly disgusting.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:05 PM

355 posts, read 552,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
You need to put putrid creatures like this on ignore. They are so devoid of any values or sense of country - it is truly disgusting.
Sticks and Stones ...LOL
I said, don't you dare. You've lost your credibility by resorting to grade school name calling. My history is long and proud. You on the other hand must not be able to argue your case intelligently.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:22 PM

TeamFoster; I'm agreeing with you. I was talking about the poster you directed your comment to, not you. Sorry.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:24 PM

873 posts, read 1,583,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamFoster View Post
Sticks and Stones ...LOL
I said, don't you dare. You've lost your credibility by resorting to grade school name calling. My history is long and proud. You on the other hand must not be able to argue your case intelligently.
Now she says she's agreeing with you, so I'm just wondering, does she still lose credibility with her name calling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections