Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 12:47 AM

8,064 posts, read 17,982,980 times

Advertisements

Barack Obama lays plans to deaden expectation after election victory - Times Online

Quote:
Barack Obama’s senior advisers have drawn up plans to lower expectations for his presidency if he wins next week’s election, amid concerns that many of his euphoric supporters are harbouring unrealistic hopes of what he can achieve.

The sudden financial crisis and the prospect of a deep and painful recession have increased the urgency inside the Obama team to bring people down to earth, after a campaign in which his soaring rhetoric and promises of “hope” and “change” are now confronted with the reality of a stricken economy.

One senior adviser told The Times that the first few weeks of the transition, immediately after the election, were critical, “so there’s not a vast mood swing from exhilaration and euphoria to despair”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 12:50 AM

Heh, so if he wins, those of us who believe he's unqualified and have absolutely no expectations will be in the best shape, I guess.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:54 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,133,607 times
He's already said a few times that the economic issues we're facing will mean some of his plans may have to be put off. In fact, he said it during one of the debates. He never said which plans, but I think he's more realistic than some of his supporters who promise us all unicorns and puppies that fart rainbows.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:56 AM

858 posts, read 1,498,982 times
No surprise to me...

Old 10-31-2008, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
He's already said a few times that the economic issues we're facing will mean some of his plans may have to be put off. In fact, he said it during one of the debates. He never said which plans, but I think he's more realistic than some of his supporters who promise us all unicorns and puppies that fart rainbows.
Quite honestly, I feel sorry for whoever wins the White House because he's inheriting a mess. That said, Obama DID regale the people with all sorts of promises and created this "rock star" euphoria. That is a VERY risky tactic. He allowed himself to be put on a pedestal and we know how quickly that can topple.

I'm just surprised that his advisors are announcing this before the election. I guess they're counting on the euphoria to last until the ballots are cast? Weird.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:01 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,133,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Quite honestly, I feel sorry for whoever wins the White House because he's inheriting a mess. That said, Obama DID regale the people with all sorts of promises and created this "rock star" euphoria. That is a VERY risky tactic. He allowed himself to be put on a pedestal and we know how quickly that can topple.

I'm just surprised that his advisors are announcing this before the election. I guess they're counting on the euphoria to last until the ballots are cast? Weird.
I see it as Obama and his advisers being more realistic than some of his supporters. I don't expect him to get very far with much of what he's proposed unless he gets a 60 seat majority in Congress.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:02 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,954,538 times
Basically this is what the GOP did to the country and the Democrats who must now deal with it.

Hulu - The Simpsons: Beard Sharpener (http://www.hulu.com/watch/21707/the-simpsons-beard-sharpener - broken link)

Old 10-31-2008, 01:02 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,264,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post

It's called "honesty."

Old 10-31-2008, 01:05 AM

858 posts, read 1,498,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
It's called "honesty."
AHAHAHHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHA HHA............................................... ...............................AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH HAHAHAHAHAH...................................AHAH AHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA

Old 10-31-2008, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
I see it as Obama and his advisers being more realistic than some of his supporters. I don't expect him to get very far with much of what he's proposed unless he gets a 60 seat majority in Congress.
Yeah, but how will this go over with "the masses?" It will look like he promised everything to win and, as soon as he gets the votes,now he says, "sorry, can't deliver." Yikes! The dude raised expectations way, way high.

I honestly don't understand how people can see this guy as anything but a cool and calculated politician and how they view him as a "bastion of hope," but people DO believe all of the crap. Pretty cruel for him to so quickly plan to dash the hope he created.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections