Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 02:33 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,492,679 times

Advertisements

Have you ever actually been in an inner city school where most of the kids are poor? Not the kids that you "assume" are poor because they live in a predominantly black neighborhood, but the ones whose parents are actually living in poverty. The kids don't have any of the items you've listed - many of them can't even get a decent meal before they go to school.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
And be sure to check how many of them have cell phones, dvrs, fancy smancy televisions and never forget to look at how many have iPhones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 03:57 PM

493 posts, read 717,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Don't think for one minute that only minorities are discriminated against in this world. I'm a White female. I need a good job with benefits. If I apply at the same time as a Black, a Latino or other minority, should Affirmative Action dictate that one of the others be considered because of race or should we each be chosen only on our education and qualifications? When I need to put food on the table, will I get a big discount on my groceries because I'm White? Of course not.

Throughout history Jews have been slaves too and were victims of one of the worst atrocities known to humanity. Chinese workers were enslaved by the railroads. Japanese Americans were imprisoned in camps just because they looked different. Native Americans were victims of mass slavery and genocide. The list goes on.

Life isn't fair. Fair is a baseball call. Let's stop comparing what has been done to us and unify so we can heal and rejoice in what we have accomplished. If there is an apology due, it should be to every human being whose life has been affected by prejudice, hatred and injustice. There is no one group who can lay claim to injustice & discrimination, and that is where I disagree with Rev Wright's inflammatory remarks against our country. I would never damn America or legitimize those who attack it. Although I agree with his overall message, I do not feel his words are healing, and that's what we need to come together as one nation.

Now, keep in mind this comes from a person who marched for Civil Rights in the 60s and 70s and who has been accused many times of being a bleeding heart liberal. I already voted for Obama because I believe he is the best candidate to unify our country and lead us in the right direction. But I was on the fence for a while, since I'm sick of political correctness. It divides more than it unites.
I agree that affirmative action is being misused, mishandled and with an Obama presidency, I hope that there is something done about that system, which I do feel is both right and wrong. The portion of me that feels it's right is the side that recognizes that there is still bigotry in this country and those minorities who won't get an equal shot unless it's forced. Then the other side of me realizes that there are plenty of Americans who are not prejudiced and really do treat everyone equally, and the system is only making race relations worse, because what it's costing people who work equally as hard, so I'm in the middle on that one, but would like to see it gone at some point. It can't be a crutch forever, or else how really will we move on!

Now don't get me wrong, I don't like the way Rev. Wright executed his words, but since he said them I understood the place it came from, and it's unfortunate that he is still pained by those older American feelings.

I also agree that it's bad for us to dwell on the past, but there are some very complicated steps that we all have to take to move forward as we are all trying to. This countries history is so very complex, that we have to just be careful that we are considerate of each other all of the time. Like get in the habit of feeling like I am my brother and sisters keeper. Not that we have to be responsible for everyone, but considerate. The country is still quite segregated, but now it's among liberal and conservative lines. There are generational patterns that are hard for many people to shake and although it's getting better, we aren't completely there.

I'm glad that we all want to be there though, that's a start.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
I applaud you for trying to help her. That's what we all need to do. Just one of us is often not enough to overcome the institutional problems that inner city black kids face.

But I actually applaud you more for posting your story here, and graphically supporting the OP with a very real example. There are a whole lot of people under the impression that racism is almost non-existent these days, especially as we're about to elect a black man as president. I hope some of them read your story and internalize it. It is only through stories like your's that real change happens.

Thank you, I hope so

Old 10-31-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
You say there was a family and the kids went to school 5 days a week but by 8th grade could barely read?????? This sounds like a personal responsibility issue to me, not the United States fault. These kids have a school (paid by my tax dollars).....some kids in other countries don't even have schools. If they went all those years, where was the mom ensuring they did their homework??? Why did the children have no personal motivation? As a kid, I grew up lower middle class and worked hard to make it up the ladder. The opportunity is there. Sounds like bad parenting and lack of personal motivation. Both personal responsibility issues and nothing to do with our country.

This country is great! This country gives every citizen the opportunity to learn and move up. Sad that these kids and this family didn't take the opportunity offered to them.
I think that it's difficult for inner city youth, especially when it's generational inner city. They don't know any better, the parents often don't know any better. If the parents weren't taught, how can they teach their kids. It's like an ongoing cycle, and not their fault or the parents for not knowing any better, it's a generational defect and that is what needs to be changed and with caring people like Cohdane, that important change can begin to affect generations to come and stop that cycle! We have to care and reach out first!

Old 10-31-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Did you absorb any of the messages in this thread?
Some people just choose not to understand and absorb. The thing we can all do is have positive dialogue and pray that it gets through

Old 10-31-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Too much of the population now wants a handout instead of really working hard to make it. Obama is there to hand out the money and create more dependence on the government. Truely sad. We are continuing to breed a welfare country.
To be quite honest, I think that Senator Obama is the type to reform whatever welfare system is there and actually create more community organizing groups to TEACH people how to manage their lives and get on track while using it, so that they can quickly get off of it. I just look at Whoopi Goldberg who was on welfare and how she's claimed it saved her life, helped her get on her feet. That is what I think welfare should be, a temporary solution for a long term goal.

Those that misuse and abuse welfare I think will be called out on it. Also, he wants to help working families, those who contribute and we need it more than ever in this recession. Many of us need a kick start, just like those shown in his infomercial.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I frankly don't agree with the Rev Wrights hate speech anymore than I do with the white supremist hate speech. Being white I just can't bring myself to have any confidence in anyone that as associated themselves with either.
It wasn't hate, it was frustration, rage! This man doesn't hate anyone, why would a Pfleger be so close to him if that was the case. He is enraged that is all. He may have gone overboard, but are you able to look at where it came from? He doesn't feel like he is better than anyone, supremacists preach hatred and intolerance of other races, Rev. Wright wants love and tolerance for every race, not the select few. He wants justice and non discriminatory equality.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:24 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotik View Post
I am sick and tired of the threads resurrecting this issue of Senator Obama's lack of patriotism and supposed hatred of America. I am sick and tired of this bringing up of Rev. Wright. If you all are able to put your ego to the side for just a minute and read this carefully as well as what I write in blue!

These are the words to "God Bless America

"While the storm clouds gather far across the sea,
Let us swear allegiance to a land that's free,
Let us all be grateful for a land so fair,
As we raise our voices in a solemn prayer. "
God Bless America
Land that I love.
Stand beside her, and guide her
Thru the night with a light from above.
From the mountains, to the prairies,
To the oceans, white with foam
God bless America, My home sweet home.

Listen to this song from a black or minority perspective! The song is highly insensitive and not inclusive of the struggle and defeat that the Native Americans have had with the European settlers, of what the blacks have had to go through during slavery, during segregation to defeat inequality and unfairness which sadly still exists today. Not inclusive of the Asians who were tormented, ridiculed and belittled when they came to make a life for themselves... Check out:Driven Out The hispanics who blatantly are discriminated against even today.

How can we comfortably feel that this land is blessed by God, who is supposed to be an all loving and protecting God??? How can everyone feel as if they are equally loved by this country, treated equally in this country? How can people feel compelled to stand beside and guide a country that has left people out in the cold, who has never stood beside ALL CITIZENS equally, who has not guided us but has divided us as a nation? The division within the country TODAY is evidence of that lingering effect!

We would all love this to be home sweet home, but is it really? I know that when I come home, I feel safe, comfortable and cozy. I feel free in my home. These feelings are not there for many many Americans and can you blame them, you wonder about Jeremiah's Wright RIGHTFUL depiction of the true state of this country and some of the evil unjust nature. Much still exists today only modernized! Lynch and hang is no longer allowed, so what has taken it's place??? THE MEDIA! That is where anger boils over and well we have nationalist sites now as well. People are enraged, because we try to project something to the world that isn't true, real, rational, or rightful! Then when we are blatantly wrong, we can't admit to it. Look at invasion of Iraq!!!

This is the pledge of Allegiance

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

An intelligent and clear minded person would listen to the words and meaning behind those words before saluting them!

We are not one nation
We are not indivisible
We do not have liberty and justice for all!

How can anyone salute words that do not ring true... I feel that Senator Obama believes that as long as he drones out to words that do not have substance behind them, no REAL CHANGE can be made, no REAL PROGRESS can be made. If words are empty, why are we so naive and brainless to salute them, because we are told to We all have brains, why don't we use them? Why don't we question anything?

This is the American Creed

“I believe in the United States of America, as a government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union, one and inseparable; established upon those principals of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.”

“I there fore believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to support its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies.” -William Tyler Page

Think about all of this, put your ego DOWN and think about this and truly examine these things and if this rings true for what you see every day when you turn on the news, when you watch what is happening within this election? When you find nationalist sites littered throughout the web. When you hear hate speak towards Arabs, and those who are considered different.

THINK and look at the world realistically! What Jeremiah Wright feels and expresses is realistic, what Martin Luther King felt and expressed was realistic, what John F. Kennedy felt and expressed was realistic. When we express "realistic views" it's sad that we have to fear death, smearing, destruction just to keep us SHUT!

Some of you may be afraid to admit to these things, be angered by them, look you don't need to respond. I just want for people to read this thread and THINK!

iam off of my soap box rant, but it's time to just be honest and truthful and put ego, pride, soft hurt feelings aside and look at the TRUTH!

I told myself last Monday I was not going to contribute to this topic anymore because I thought it was going to get ugly. I even made a thread about it. But, I have to say, your thoughts are truely inspiring. Thank you for your contribution.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:31 PM

105 posts, read 214,227 times
There is slavery rife in this world, DKNY, CC, in other countries it is not considered a crime or a stigma...try SA.

There are still people yearning....try Sudan.

There are people who still think they have a chance in this country.

Complaining about the past gets you no where.

Try writing your own patriotic songs. Look in your soul and try to be patriotic. Rather than self serving.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:38 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotik View Post
I am sick and tired of the threads resurrecting this issue of Senator Obama's lack of patriotism and supposed hatred of America. I am sick and tired of this bringing up of Rev. Wright. If you all are able to put your ego to the side for just a minute and read this carefully as well as what I write in blue!

These are the words to "God Bless America

"While the storm clouds gather far across the sea,
Let us swear allegiance to a land that's free,
Let us all be grateful for a land so fair,
As we raise our voices in a solemn prayer.
"
God Bless America
Land that I love.
Stand beside her, and guide her
Thru the night with a light from above.
From the mountains, to the prairies,
To the oceans, white with foam
God bless America, My home sweet home.

Listen to this song from a black or minority perspective! The song is highly insensitive and not inclusive of the struggle and defeat that the Native Americans have had with the European settlers, of what the blacks have had to go through during slavery, during segregation to defeat inequality and unfairness which sadly still exists today. Not inclusive of the Asians who were tormented, ridiculed and belittled when they came to make a life for themselves... Check out:Driven Out The hispanics who blatantly are discriminated against even today.

How can we comfortably feel that this land is blessed by God, who is supposed to be an all loving and protecting God??? How can everyone feel as if they are equally loved by this country, treated equally in this country? How can people feel compelled to stand beside and guide a country that has left people out in the cold, who has never stood beside ALL CITIZENS equally, who has not guided us but has divided us as a nation? The division within the country TODAY is evidence of that lingering effect!

We would all love this to be home sweet home, but is it really? I know that when I come home, I feel safe, comfortable and cozy. I feel free in my home. These feelings are not there for many many Americans and can you blame them, you wonder about Jeremiah's Wright RIGHTFUL depiction of the true state of this country and some of the evil unjust nature. Much still exists today only modernized! Lynch and hang is no longer allowed, so what has taken it's place??? THE MEDIA! That is where anger boils over and well we have nationalist sites now as well. People are enraged, because we try to project something to the world that isn't true, real, rational, or rightful! Then when we are blatantly wrong, we can't admit to it. Look at invasion of Iraq!!!

This is the pledge of Allegiance

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

An intelligent and clear minded person would listen to the words and meaning behind those words before saluting them!

We are not one nation
We are not indivisible
We do not have liberty and justice for all!

How can anyone salute words that do not ring true... I feel that Senator Obama believes that as long as he drones out to words that do not have substance behind them, no REAL CHANGE can be made, no REAL PROGRESS can be made. If words are empty, why are we so naive and brainless to salute them, because we are told to We all have brains, why don't we use them? Why don't we question anything?

This is the American Creed

“I believe in the United States of America, as a government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union, one and inseparable; established upon those principals of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.”

“I there fore believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to support its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies.” -William Tyler Page

Think about all of this, put your ego DOWN and think about this and truly examine these things and if this rings true for what you see every day when you turn on the news, when you watch what is happening within this election? When you find nationalist sites littered throughout the web. When you hear hate speak towards Arabs, and those who are considered different.

THINK and look at the world realistically! What Jeremiah Wright feels and expresses is realistic, what Martin Luther King felt and expressed was realistic, what John F. Kennedy felt and expressed was realistic. When we express "realistic views" it's sad that we have to fear death, smearing, destruction just to keep us SHUT!

Some of you may be afraid to admit to these things, be angered by them, look you don't need to respond. I just want for people to read this thread and THINK!

iam off of my soap box rant, but it's time to just be honest and truthful and put ego, pride, soft hurt feelings aside and look at the TRUTH!
Those are idealistic goals of this. They are not an absolute of perfect example. We have ups and downs, we have injustice at times, inequality from time to time, but we attempt to hold to the belief that we can be this and so we keep pushing for it.

It seems you are attempting to take it literally as if it is simply a fact of an equation, rather than a principal of the abstract. It is our belief in a "vacuum" to which we attempt to mold to.

My wife is a 100% American Indian. She believes in "to which it stands", in that the principals were a higher achievement to which we must continue to strive for. Even the founders did not look to this as "well, I guess we did it, everything is perfect".

So I am a bit confused by your claims. Are you saying that because those songs, pledges, and its core ideal are not an absolute representation of every single aspect of society, that we should toss them aside and embrace the conflict?

Its like believing that since perfect good does not exist, we should not bother attempting to achieve it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections