Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 04:02 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,513,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post
I think the poster meant that many of the right-wingers wouldn't vote for him no matter what his policies were.
No, it means he's so far left he's incredibly divisive. His stance on guns, for instance, is one. He's got millions of gun owners worried and they (actually we as I'm one of them) will be very angry if he gets what he wants on that (I posted links in my other post on that in this thread). Then there's his positions on abortion, taxes, healthcare, national service and so forth. All to the radical left, not moderate in the least. He's not a moderate, he's not middle of the road. He's going to really divide this country if elected. It will be very nasty. We don't need someone radical to either side but someone who's moderate and won't make this country more divided. Many things are best left entirely alone (the gun issue, for instance, leave the laws alone on that, let the courts hammer out what's acceptable and not in the coming years).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 04:12 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,253,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
No, it means he's so far left he's incredibly divisive. His stance on guns, for instance, is one. He's got millions of gun owners worried and they (actually we as I'm one of them) will be very angry if he gets what he wants on that (I posted links in my other post on that in this thread). Then there's his positions on abortion, taxes, healthcare, national service and so forth. All to the radical left, not moderate in the least. He's not a moderate, he's not middle of the road. He's going to really divide this country if elected. It will be very nasty. We don't need someone radical to either side but someone who's moderate and won't make this country more divided. Many things are best left entirely alone (the gun issue, for instance, leave the laws alone on that, let the courts hammer out what's acceptable and not in the coming years).
I don't know about gun laws...I'm not a gun owner so I haven't looked into it much. All I know is that I want it harder for someone to get a gun. Hunting with guns seem fine...by hand guns are for killing people with. If you want to collect handguns or go to a shooting range, all well and good, but there needs to be strict guidelines and waiting periods. That just makes sense to me.

As far as abortion...pro-choice is the stance that is NOT divisive. If you want an abortion, get one. If you don't want an abortion, don't. The government CANNOT tell a woman what she can or cannot do with her body...not the government. THAT IS THE DIVISIVE stance.

Nothing is wrong with national service. Many countries have this. Young people get good experience, gain confindence and earn money for college. America gets services that are needed and more college-educated citizens. Sounds good to me.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I don't know about gun laws...I'm not a gun owner so I haven't looked into it much. All I know is that I want it harder for someone to get a gun. Hunting with guns seem fine...by hand guns are for killing people with. If you want to collect handguns or go to a shooting range, all well and good, but there needs to be strict guidelines and waiting periods. That just makes sense to me.
I posted links that explain his opinions on the guns issue. Total bans on some of the most popular guns, national bans on concealed carry, banning private sales between individuals...totally unacceptable. Waiting periods in the few states with them have resulted in some deaths of those who needed a gun for protection, and couldn't get it in time. Civil rights are not open to being trampled on because they are not liked by some. And I won't tolerate it. If Obama does what he seems to want to do, it deserves no recognition from myself or other gun owners and I suspect there will be some serious consequences. A government that does not fulfill its basic obligation to protect rights lacks legitimacy.

Quote:
As far as abortion...pro-choice is the stance that is NOT divisive. If you want an abortion, get one. If you don't want an abortion, don't. The government CANNOT tell a woman what she can or cannot do with her body...not the government. THAT IS THE DIVISIVE stance.
No, that's the extremist pro-abortion stance. I'm against abortion, I consider it murder, but the moderate position is that it should be left up to the states to decide. Some would allow it, some would ban it. Those extremely for or against it wouldn't be happy but most would. It would still be available in many states, others would be happy with it being "banned" in their state. That's the moderate position.

Quote:
Nothing is wrong with national service. Many countries have this. Young people get good experience, gain confindence and earn money for college. America gets services that are needed and more college-educated citizens. Sounds good to me.
The government is not entitled to wasting 2 or so years of mine or others' lives. It has no business butting its head into people's lives like that. Ever hear of Vietnam? People inevitably get tired of such things.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:04 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,547,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
Disagree, and I already voted for McCain.

Your title should be If you want this country to weap and crumble vote BaCrock Osama.
I too have already voted McCain/Palin.

Good post...still can't rep you though...I tried!

Old 10-31-2008, 05:40 PM

195 posts, read 515,647 times
Don't be discouraged. It's not over yet. Polls are tightening up.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:16 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,253,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
in their state. That's the moderate position.

The government is not entitled to wasting 2 or so years of mine or others' lives. It has no business butting its head into people's lives like that. Ever hear of Vietnam? People inevitably get tired of such things.
His plan is not madatory service.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
His plan is not madatory service.
We'll wait and see then, if he's elected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections