Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 01:02 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
Thank you!!! I thought my dyslexia was getting the better of me and was about hit reply to ask if anyone else found the first paragraph nonsensical when I ran across your post.
I just thought it was copied and pasted from somewhere else, and somehow mangled in the process!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 01:02 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,741,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
Let them do, that should be the motto of every public authority, according to which the world is civilized..... A detestable principle that which would not wish us to grow except by lowering our neighbors! There is nothing but mischief and malignity of heart in those satisfied with that principle, and interest is opposed to it.

to get ahead by taking from others is a contemptible principle. shame on liberals for supporting wealth redistribution!

How dare anybody to pretend to know what is in anyones heart.

I'll tell you what is detestable.

Being pro life, then voting and agreeing with an illegal war that causes thousands of innocent people to be murdered,maimed or displace from their homes is detestable.

Being pro life, then being against ANY program to help the children or their struggling families calling them "lazy" because they are poor.
Do you realize how many kids in the US have No health care and go to sleep hungry at night?

How has the tax cuts to rich helped you? The trickle UP mentality was a contemptible principle.
The middle class (on whose backs this country was build on) are Not doing well.
This is because of GREED.

If I can help my neighbor, I will gladly pay more.
That is what Jesus would do and did.

NOT wanting to help OUR country and its people is detestable!
You can call me whatever you want but, DONT pretend to know my heart.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:04 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
Shame on you for being so greedy that you would not want those who have plenty to pay just slightly more to help those in need....

I guess when taxes were lowered on the rich, and the burden of taxation further shifted to the middle class - you were fine with that kind of redistribution of wealth...
i thought liberals were all about doing their own thing. it looks like now their own thing is taking from everybody else to force their own spending agenda. how about cutting spending? i have never been fine with redistribution of wealth and never been fine with the bailout. as a matter of fact, i railed against the bailout in this forum since i knew it was directed at wall street derivatives and not for the housing market at all! you seem to be a little confused about who is actually behind the bailout and maybe a little research would help. always follow the money trail if you want the answers.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:04 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
The OP is mangling the definition of laissez-faire.

OP, clearly you make over $250K - call your accountant NOW and ask him or her to start figuring how to avoid paying these awful taxes that are about to impoverish you! SCHNELL!
SCHNELL? SCHNELL, you write? Got your jackboots on, today, delu?

Old 10-31-2008, 01:05 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
The OP is mangling the definition of laissez-faire.

OP, clearly you make over $250K - call your accountant NOW and ask him or her to start figuring how to avoid paying these awful taxes that are about to impoverish you! SCHNELL!
That was supposed to be a definition?!

Quote:
It's translated from French. It's the first example of laissez faire being used in economic terms. Of course, that's not really what redistribution of wealth is all about, but instead free market principles. The two are like claiming we need solar and wind energy to decrease our foreign oil usage.
I'm going to assume you mean literally translated from French by Babelfish or the like because while I know what laissez-faire is, I'm telling you hon, that mess OP was a piecemeal mess to my brain.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
I just thought it was copied and pasted from somewhere else, and somehow mangled in the process!
this is from the translation of this, which would probably be even harder for you to understand:
Laissez faire, telle devrait être la devise de toute puissance publique, depuis que le monde est civilisé.... Détestable principe que celui de ne vouloir grandir que par l'abaissement de nos voisins! Il n'y a que la méchanceté et la malignité du coeur de satisfaites dans ce principe, et l’intérêt y est opposé. Laissez faire, morbleu! Laissez faire!!

Old 10-31-2008, 01:07 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,177 times
Can we all, either being conservative republicans, liberal republicans, conservative democrats, liberal democrats, independents, moderates, and all the rest of you please, please, stop casting a group of people as they "don't have brains", or "don't have souls"

I am guilty of doing this too, so I realize it. However, this liberals don't have souls is pretty childish. It seems to me a lot of idealistic people tend to be liberal. Idealistic meaning emotional, or having a heart.

Lets just stop with this.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:08 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
this is from the translation of this, which would probably be even harder for you to understand:
Laissez faire, telle devrait être la devise de toute puissance publique, depuis que le monde est civilisé.... Détestable principe que celui de ne vouloir grandir que par l'abaissement de nos voisins! Il n'y a que la méchanceté et la malignité du coeur de satisfaites dans ce principe, et l’intérêt y est opposé. Laissez faire, morbleu! Laissez faire!!
Which translator did you use?

Old 10-31-2008, 01:11 PM

the point here is that taking from others is not an admirable way to get ahead, whether you take from a poor person or a rich person.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:14 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,177 times
Taxation is not taking from others. Would you people please for the love of god just stop?

Right now I pay my taxes for the war in Iraq. Are you saying that every American who has used something that taxes paid for doesn't have a soul.

Schools, busses, trains, roads, signs, airports, sports stadiums, and the list goes on and on.

If you use those you are a souless POS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections