Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 11:02 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,191,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Oh yeah, as for North Carolina, I think McCain might win here, when everyone else thought it was Obama. The state will be close I think. The one thing that could turn it is turn-out. A big turn-out turns it blue!!!
I think the senatorial races could have a big impact on the presidential race, especially in North Carolina and Virginia.. R. Liddy Dole is not doing well in NC after her commercial mocking her opponent's supposedly Godless friends. Add to that huge turnouts in pre-election voting in a state with lots of transplants and a large black population.

Then in VA there's the popular former governor D. Mark Warner who's a shoe-in for R. John Warner's former senatorial seat. And VA's other senator, Jim Webb, Repub turned Dem has proved himself an excellent senator and is also quite popular. So I wonder if some still-confused, undecideds may just say, what the heck, the GOP has screwed things up royally - maybe I need to give *all* the Dem candidates a chance.

Thus I think it's very possible Virginia and North Carolina could easily turn blue *this* time around. Now that would add up to a mandate of sorts for Obama and his message!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 12:46 PM

3,491 posts, read 8,581,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
I think the senatorial races could have a big impact on the presidential race, especially in North Carolina and Virginia.. R. Liddy Dole is not doing well in NC after her commercial mocking her opponent's supposedly Godless friends. Add to that huge turnouts in pre-election voting in a state with lots of transplants and a large black population.

Then in VA there's the popular former governor D. Mark Warner who's a shoe-in for R. John Warner's former senatorial seat. And VA's other senator, Jim Webb, Repub turned Dem has proved himself an excellent senator and is also quite popular. So I wonder if some still-confused, undecideds may just say, what the heck, the GOP has screwed things up royally - maybe I need to give *all* the Dem candidates a chance.

Thus I think it's very possible Virginia and North Carolina could easily turn blue *this* time around. Now that would add up to a mandate of sorts for Obama and his message!
The governor's race in NC will be interesting to see too. Currently NC has a democratic governor (Mike Easily) thats not running for another term. Democrat Beverly Perdue is running against Charlotte mayor Pat McCrory. The governor's race is a dead heat but many are predicting Pat McCrory will win. That would be ironic if Obama won the state of North Carolina but then NC elects a republican governor. But NC has had a democratic governor for years and never votes for a democrat in the presidential election. North Carolina hasnt had a republican governor since the 1980s.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:52 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
The governor's race in NC will be interesting to see too. Currently NC has a democratic governor (Mike Easily) thats not running for another term. Democrat Beverly Perdue is running against Charlotte mayor Pat McCrory. The governor's race is a dead heat but many are predicting Pat McCrory will win. That would be ironic if Obama won the state of North Carolina but then NC elects a republican governor. But NC has had a democratic governor for years and never votes for a democrat in the presidential election. North Carolina hasnt had a republican governor since the 1980s.
I think part of the reason for NC's shift politically, in this election, anyway, stems from people from the northeast relocating to NC, but taking with them their liberal political identity. If you read the NC forums, its amazing to me how many have relocated from states such as PA, NJ, NY, etc.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:58 PM

573 posts, read 801,452 times
As "Deep Throat" (Watergate era) said: "follow the money."

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollingReport.com

Indeed, by 2004 the Intrade market model went stratospheric in predictive accuracy as the market favorite won the electoral votes of every single state in that year’s U.S. presidential election. Meanwhile more than one respected pollster and analyst called the race for John Kerry as late as election day itself.

The betting markets saw their best triumph of 2004 in Florida. Even though a number of polls put Kerry ahead in that state, or said the race was too close to call, the betting markets consistently showed Bush would win Florida comfortably.

Indeed, if the Democrats had paid as much attention to the markets as the polls, I am convinced that the election result would have been different. They could have downsized their effort in Florida and focused their efforts more on other swing states where betting sites showed the race was much closer.

Intrade followed up in 2006 when the market favorite won each and every Senate seat up for election. Moreover, in large part the stronger the favorite, the bigger was the margin of victory.
How to Forecast an Election

Old 11-03-2008, 01:07 PM

259 posts, read 158,023 times
Mccain 282

Obama 256

that is my prediction

Old 11-03-2008, 01:09 PM

259 posts, read 158,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
This. The only states that are "within a point or two" are states McCain *must* win. Florida, Indiana, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota and Ohio. PA is not "within a point or two". And guess what, even if ALL of those states break for McCain, he still loses!

he will win all those plus New Hampshire
and a couple others that people are claiming are either leaning or solidly Obama

Old 11-03-2008, 01:10 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
If McCain wins Ohio, Virginia, & Florida but LOSES Colorado and Neveda Obama still wins

Old 11-03-2008, 01:24 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,815 times
The most irresponsible thing that the MSM could do tomorrow is to call the election for Obama if Virginia goes blue. There will be millions of people going out to vote after that happens.

My prediction: Obama 318.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:13 AM

Yep, I got it right: 364 vs 174.

However, it will probably be 365 electoral votes once Nebraska's 2nd Congressional District (Omaha) results are announced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis702 View Post
As "Deep Throat" (Watergate era) said: "follow the money."

Last edited by Tennis702; 11-07-2008 at 01:23 AM..

Old 11-07-2008, 07:53 AM

Looking back through the various predictions in this thread, I noticed that I was the only one who (following the Intrade.com "market based" lead) predicted over 350 electoral votes for Obama.

So, Obama fans, why so pessimistic? Next time, "follow the money".

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollingReport.com

Indeed, by 2004 the Intrade market model went stratospheric in predictive accuracy as the market favorite won the electoral votes of every single state in that year’s U.S. presidential election. Meanwhile more than one respected pollster and analyst called the race for John Kerry as late as election day itself.

The betting markets saw their best triumph of 2004 in Florida. Even though a number of polls put Kerry ahead in that state, or said the race was too close to call, the betting markets consistently showed Bush would win Florida comfortably.

Indeed, if the Democrats had paid as much attention to the markets as the polls, I am convinced that the election result would have been different. They could have downsized their effort in Florida and focused their efforts more on other swing states where betting sites showed the race was much closer.

Intrade followed up in 2006 when the market favorite won each and every Senate seat up for election. Moreover, in large part the stronger the favorite, the bigger was the margin of victory.
How to Forecast an Election
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections