Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2008, 10:41 AM

2,195 posts, read 3,653,658 times

Advertisements

[Mod edited]

ETA: The subject line refers to a comment in another thread. These are counter examples. Evidently, I was too subtle.

Fake Commonwealth of Virginia Voter Bulletin informs Democrats that they vote on Wednesday:
http://media.nowpublic.net/images//b...ad9a6ab29c.jpg

"It is possible with Acorn being investigated by the F.B.I. that many of the people who registered through Acorn will be arrested when they vote."
A Vision for America: Acorn Voters Arrested?

"An anonymous flier circulating in African-American neighborhoods in North and West Philadelphia states that voters who are facing outstanding arrest warrants or who have unpaid traffic tickets may be arrested at the polls on Election Day."
Vote-scam fliers target black neighborhoods | Philadelphia Daily News | 10/02/2008 (http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20081002_Vote-scam_fliers_target_black_neighborhoods.html - broken link)

"El Paso County Recorder sent and posted misleading fliers to college president that if a student is a dependent of out-of-state parents, the student is not eligible to vote in Colorado

Robert Balink (El Paso County Recorder and Republican Delegate) later admitted to falsely informing Colorado College that out of state students could not register to vote in Colorado if they were claimed as dependents on their parents' tax returns. Balink's office had created a flier on student vote registration containing the false information and urged the college to post it around campus."
www.kansascity.com | 10/23/2008 | Election officials telling college students they can't vote (http://www.kansascity.com/449/story/854311.html - broken link)

"The director of the (Montana) Republican Party issued a blanket challenge to validly registered voters based on false criteria, trying to persuade election clerks that a mere change of mailing address is grounds for automatic cancellation of voter registration."
Missoulian: State GOP challenges eligibility of voters (http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2008/10/02/news/local/news03.txt - broken link)
and he resigned
Missoulian: GOP executive director resigns (http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2008/10/15/news/local/news03.txt - broken link)

" Students at Radford University in Virginia got some bad news recently-- the local county registrar's office informed them that they were ineligible to vote because they listed their dormitory addresses on their voter registration application."
Student Voting Challenged in VA

"The Alabama GOP party has sent a letter to the Alabama commissioner of corrections opposing a voter registration drive for prisoners. The registration drive has been suspended." Alabama Law prohibits felons convicted of crimes of "moral turpitude" from voting. The inmates being registered did not fall into this category per an opinion issued by the State Attorney General in 2005. Alabama GOP Chair said he was concerned about possible "voter fraud" as the excuse for stopping the registration drive.
al.com's Printer-Friendly Page

Shameless voter coercion.

Those Obama supporters should be ashamed of themselves.

(Is there some of this going on in the other direction? Absolutely. But the volume is far lower and the types are less pervasive. And registration fraud (which also goes on in both parties), while illegal and despicable, is not voter coercion.)

Last edited by jps-teacher; 11-03-2008 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: Lets not directly address members names as it only serves to icite a flame war. (addition made to clarify subtlety)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 10:44 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,368,537 times
Let's see, are you saying that the Republicans have not done anything like this?
How about the robocalls?
It seems from what I was reading that you're presenting one side of the story and that there have been no charges made.

Or am I wrong?

Old 11-03-2008, 10:50 AM

1,286 posts, read 2,924,925 times
so lets see, temp address' don't count, and people with warrants can't vote, because they deserve to?

Old 11-03-2008, 10:56 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,952,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
so lets see, temp address' don't count, and people with warrants can't vote, because they deserve to?

You can vote if you have a warrant for a misdemeanor. People in jail for short term misdemeanors are allowed to vote. It is only for felonies.

Anyways, even if it was for a felony, I believe you can still vote until you are convicted of it.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:01 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,597,077 times
I remember how the Republicans tried to disenfranchise black voters in Virginia during the senate race in 2006, when George Allen campaign sent out fake flyers in inner city Richmond telling voters they were going to be arrested on election day if they showed up at the polls. Of course, blacks in VA voted overwhelmingly for Jim Webb.

Typical racist Republican dirty tricks...and alot of good that did them, huh?

Old 11-03-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Let's see, are you saying that the Republicans have not done anything like this?
How about the robocalls?
It seems from what I was reading that you're presenting one side of the story and that there have been no charges made.

Or am I wrong?
Seems I am guilty of too much subtlety. Who knew?!

Chielgirl,

I'm saying that the Republicans are guilty of coercive behaviors towards (Democratic) voters far more than Democrats are toward (Republican) voters, in contrast to what Luzianne had said in another post.

Check the stories out. And there are more - these were just the simplest to verify from sources that are... more likely to be accepted by our Republican forum-mates.

I skipped, for example, the Republican Indianapolis Mayor who's moved 31 polling locations (between the Primary and General Elections) without notice or announcement to the public - in heavily Democratic districts, oddly enough. This is in contrast to his press release about the move of two of them due to flooding, which is on the City's website. Why skip it? Because their newspaper has not picked up the story and DailyKos was not a good enough source - though I could verify the changes on an XLS sheet, I couldn't verify the lack of notice.

Similarly, there was a story about a Democratic voter registrar not returning calls from the Republicans, such that they put in an office next to hers to try to catch her. But while I read about it on VoterSuppression.com, I couldn't find an independent source to verify it.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:11 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,368,537 times
jps - I agree with your assessment.

Sorry, I just don't do subtlety.
By the time I get on line I'm ending my day when you guys are mostly bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.
That will teach me to live on a different continent.

Mea culpa.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
jps - I agree with your assessment.

Sorry, I just don't do subtlety.
By the time I get on line I'm ending my day when you guys are mostly bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.
That will teach me to live on a different continent.

Mea culpa.
I spend a good bit of IM (instant messaging) time with a friend in NZ, so I do understand.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:23 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,480,461 times
I WAS SOOOOOOO CONFUSED!!!

I read through the allegations and thought, "Hey! These are stunts that would support McCain, not Obama! More Republican shenanigans...."

The reason why some people missed your sarcasm? 1. They didn't read the allegations. 2. There have so many ignorant posts from the right on this forum that it felt plausible that you someone would blame the GOP's vote suppression tactics on Obama.

Oy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections