Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 12:44 PM

3,012 posts, read 8,938,499 times

Advertisements

If you don't vote, don't complain about the outcome. Voting gives me whinging rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 12:46 PM

43 posts, read 87,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
If you don't vote, don't complain about the outcome. Voting gives me whinging rights.
Dead wrong.

If I don't vote, then I have every right to complain as loud as I want about any and all problems associated with the individual that YOU voted in. You are part of the cause of the problem, so the only right you have is to sit back and be quiet about it. (unless of course the one you voted for is not elected)

You can't vote for someone and then whine that he's doing a horrible job.

Watch this video:

YouTube - George Carlin - I Dont Vote

Old 11-03-2008, 01:39 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,351,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Why would a popular vote, for the Presidency, be flawed?
It is flawed because if you base it off popular vote candidates could guarantee a win by securing just a few states with the highest populations. A small handfull states like California, Texas, Florida, New York, and Florida would always determing the outcome of the election. Meanwhile, smaller states would virtually have now say in who gets elected.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:49 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,633,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
If voting is masturbatory, I think I did it wrong.

Had no idea it could be that much fun!!

Old 11-03-2008, 01:57 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,228,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconer84 View Post
I think this is an unfair comparison when you consider the consequences of not fighting in a war are far greater than not voting.

Nobody has the duty to do anything.

If you want to vote, go for it. Knock yourself out. I just want people to realize that they are not accomplishing much when they do.

People need to open their eyes to the world around them and see how things work, and question them when they don't, instead of accepting everything at face value.

Go back to bed, America. Your government is in control.
I believe the analogy to be quite apt and fitting when you consider it had nothing to do with issues of war or not but the mindset of "my vote, my person, does not count or matter".

I'm struggling to get my mind around what exactly you are trying to convey as your message is a bit mixed. On one hand you are suggesting that "government is in control, go back to bed" and "don't vote", yet it is by our votes collectively that we can affect government and change it. Whether you choose to believe that or not is entirely up to you but to say to people they are controlled while suggesting they don't vote because they are controlled makes very little sense.

Are you suggesting we storm the Bastille in DC?

Old 11-03-2008, 02:03 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,087,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Why would a popular vote, for the Presidency, be flawed? Aside from concerns about Mickey Mouse getting elected, etc, I am curious as to your concerns. Seriously. As for other alternatives why not proportional representation of the electoral college based on the popular vote within each state? Much of the Democratic primary was done this way. That way in a Democratic enclave like California Republicans would view their vote as actually mattering on a national level. Open to all polite debate.

JRP
VOTE FLIPPING is a huge concern; there have been countless anecdotes of this happening, including to Oprah Winfrey herself. Oddly, the votes NEVER flip from McCain to Obama.

Votes going into a black box without a paper trail - how does anyone know for sure what is happening inside that machine? If votes can be flipped right in front of a voter's eyes, what is happening to their vote inside that machine? Only the Lord him or herself, and possibly the person that developed the software for the machine, knows for sure..

Vote results in OHIO get ROUTED from Ohio's government computers THROUGH the GOP-affiliated company that held the president's email messages that it said it supposedly could not find and then back to the governement. Now can someone tell me why this happens and how the results are not tainted when this occurs. Note this really happened and will be happening again, I am not being paranoid.

Check out this site:

http://www.bradblog.com/?p=6592

Old 11-03-2008, 02:18 PM

351 posts, read 488,552 times
I don't even know why I'm bothering to type this but here goes:

Dear OP (and anyone else interested):
Andrew Jackson didn't win the presidency because he didn't have the number of electoral votes needed to win (131 at the time). Similarly, if Obama had 265 electoral votes and McCain had 266 neither of them would win because they are required to get 270 to win the election. The US house of Representatives chose the president.

It's not based on who has the most votes. Sheesh. For further information please read the 12th Constitutional Amendment for further clarification.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:22 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,068,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Let's just be anarchists too and shun all government!
The only problem with anarchist is that they spend too much time organizing. Who says the left doesn't get irony?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections