Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 09:33 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,376,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanSpy View Post
Not quite sure. Have you heard about some other newfangled concept though? It's called seperation of church and state. I wonder what they'll come up with next...maybe carriages without horses!
As I've said about 1839829 times here, separation of church and state is misunderstood/misquoted constantly. It means that the GOVT will not interfere in religion, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 09:33 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,315,902 times
Default OK I'll play...

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Bible Study - The Two Kinds Of Pride

Selfish pride can be defined as "excessive confidence or glorification in one's self, possessions or nation." The concept is found in The Bible, along with pride itself, in words such as arrogance, haughtiness and conceit, among others, all of which are opposite of Godly humility. The wrongness of self-centered pride is essentially twofold. On a spiritual level, it inevitably leads to disregard, disrespect and disobedience to God i.e. self-centered pride is primarily what transformed the once-righteous Lucifer into the wicked Satan after he became too impressed with himself: "I will make myself like the Most High" (Isaiah 14:14 RSV, see also Born To Be Wild?). On a worldly level, selfish pride very often results in self-destructive behavior because, while a form of self-delusion, it isn't necessarily as much an overestimation of one's self as it is a dangerous underestimation of others, hence "Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall" (Proverbs 16:18 RSV). The Bible also speaks of a good pride, but it differs greatly from selfish pride.

Hmmmm....who is this describing?
If nobody has guessed yet, I'll say Dick Cheney! If incorrect, then I'll offer up Rumsfeld. Am I right???

Old 11-03-2008, 09:37 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,217,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
When someone resorts to using religion & the bible to argue their "point", they've lost all credibility.
YES YES YES WELL said and true!

I KNOW if someone starts spouting the bible they are usually the one who needs preaching the most

Old 11-03-2008, 09:38 PM

703 posts, read 857,972 times
Quote:
As I've said about 1839829 times here, separation of church and state is misunderstood/misquoted constantly. It means that the GOVT will not interfere in religion, period.
Hey! Whatever you do, don't reduce separation of church and state to a childlike viewpoint. Someone might think you're oversimplifying something in an attempt to win an argument. I don't even know why you argue here, you get owned constantly. Must like punishment or something.

1,648 posts, read 2,567,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
People who voted for Bush twice and still think that their opinions are somehow more valid than those who knew enough not to vote for Bush. No shame. None, as you clearly evidence.
Bears repeating.

Idiots who vote for Bush twice think that their opinions are somehow more valid. What a joke. Their "country first" should be in "apologizing to the country first."

Quote:

You have difficulty making the argument that government will not interfere in religion when sitting President's and stumping candidates use it as part of their platform...

Old 11-03-2008, 09:41 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,567,262 times
I am so glad nutjob thoughts like this and nutjob Palin's "Iraq is a task from God" mentality are going away after 8 years of this crap. We have seen what happens when you mix religion with government, keep religion private.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:41 PM

6 posts, read 19,156 times
Default luzianne

I personally can't help but wonder what the american people are thinking. If it's not legal for someone to run for president who is not an american citizen, why is it that Obama refuses to show that he is a citizen of america?? If he changed his name from Barry to Obama when he moved to Indonesia, and put down that he is Muslim, why is he ashamed to say to??
He's only been a senator for 145 days, how does that make him qualified to be president? He's not done anything to help the poor in Illinois, why do the american people think he'll do anything for the rest of the country except himself? He can't show how he paid to go to Harvard, or Columbia university, yet he manages to get people to pay $ 28,000.00 for a plate of food when there's so many people going hungry in america? He has a half brother in another country he's doing absolutely nothing for, while he goes hungry.
It's been said many times for a lot of years, that america will be defeated from within. That's because no other country will invade us. While Obama has said he will cut spending to the military. What else does that mean except that we will become weak. And the weak will perish.
I expect that if Obama wins the election, that the muslim extremists will be here soon and all the women may as well get used to wearing the burkas. We are in more trouble then we can get out of if he gets elected. Mark my words down on this Tullahoma.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:44 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,307,832 times
Quote:
That is NOT what it means:

To messers Nehemiah Dodge, Ephraim Robbins, & Stephen S. Nelson a committee of the Danbury Baptist association in the state of Connecticut.

Gentlemen

The affectionate sentiments of esteem & approbation which you are so good as to express towards me, on behalf of the Danbury Baptist association, give me the highest satisfaction. my duties dictate a faithful & zealous pursuit of the interests of my constituents, and in proportion as they are persuaded of my fidelity to those duties, the discharge of them becomes more & more pleasing.

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man & his god, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, thus building a wall of separation between church and state. [Congress thus inhibited from acts respecting religion, and the Executive authorised only to execute their acts, I have refrained from presenting even occasional performances of devotion presented indeed legally where an Executive is the legal head of a national church, but subject here, as religious exercises only to the voluntary regulations and discipline of each respective sect.] Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.

I reciprocate your kind prayers for the protection and blessing of the common Father and creator of man, and tender you for yourselves and your religious association, assurances of my high respect & esteem.

(signed) Thomas Jefferson
Jan.1.1802.

Please note therein:

"Congress thus inhibited from acts respecting religion"

This means that Congress must not pass any acts which introduce secular law "respective" of religious beliefs.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerdoodle1 View Post
I personally can't help but wonder what the american people are thinking. If it's not legal for someone to run for president who is not an american citizen, why is it that Obama refuses to show that he is a citizen of america?? If he changed his name from Barry to Obama when he moved to Indonesia, and put down that he is Muslim, why is he ashamed to say to??
He's only been a senator for 145 days, how does that make him qualified to be president? He's not done anything to help the poor in Illinois, why do the american people think he'll do anything for the rest of the country except himself? He can't show how he paid to go to Harvard, or Columbia university, yet he manages to get people to pay $ 28,000.00 for a plate of food when there's so many people going hungry in america? He has a half brother in another country he's doing absolutely nothing for, while he goes hungry.
It's been said many times for a lot of years, that america will be defeated from within. That's because no other country will invade us. While Obama has said he will cut spending to the military. What else does that mean except that we will become weak. And the weak will perish.
I expect that if Obama wins the election, that the muslim extremists will be here soon and all the women may as well get used to wearing the burkas. We are in more trouble then we can get out of if he gets elected. Mark my words down on this Tullahoma.
I am guessing since this is your third post you are somebody who was recently kicked off...Obama is NOT A CITIZEN?!?!? Thanks for dragging out the beaten to a pulp "horse" for another few kicks...yawn...

LMAO...women in burkas...hahahahahahhahahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections