Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 07:37 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,451,226 times

Advertisements

He is severely depressed. Please try to get him some help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 07:38 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,643,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Either the guy is a great actor or he's a nutbag.

None of us are beyond mental illness or emotional problems.

My only hope for you karfar, is that people are more sympathetic to you than you are to this guy, if you ever need help.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:39 PM

956 posts, read 1,237,037 times
I agree with the others. If you're serious about this and since the man's wife had little or no concern, see if you can find someone to help.

It really sounds very serious and it doesn't sound like the guy is pulling your leg. See if you can help.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:43 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,587,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
None of us are beyond mental illness or emotional problems.

My only hope for you karfar, is that people are more sympathetic to you than you are to this guy, if you ever need help.
Yes I know that. I'm not being uncaring, I just sincerely can't believe someone would kill themselves over that. I suspect his problems run deeper than his candidate losing.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:44 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undeader View Post
Wow... I thought I had heard some crazy stuff during this election... but here's a first...

I was having a conversation with this guy about the election and I asked him what he thought would happen...

He got really weird and started saying that Obama just better win... if he doesn't win he wants to kill himself... I thought he was joking but he kept saying it..

I asked him if he was messing with me and he started crying....

This guy isn't a great friend, but I felt really bad for him. He must be hurting if he's putting so much on this. I hope he's just emotional...

I changed the subject and left pretty quickly. My wife called his wife and told her what happened. She didn't seem to concerned.

As a former mental health professional my opinion is, this person needs help, but will have to seek it themselves if they are an adult and not a danger to anyone. Talk to his wife and see if she can talk him into seeing someone soon. Has his person had past mental health issues or some other life stressor, like loss of a job, loss of a loved one, an illness? An election should not cause this reaction for a mentally healthy person.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:54 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,249,083 times
(Knowing that this subject is serious, I will still attempt a facetious touch of semi-gallows humor here.)

Not a problem - Obama will not lose . . .

Old 11-03-2008, 08:03 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,079,769 times
First off, the friend needs to seek professional help.

Anyone contemplating this, this is the difference between Obama's Country and McCain's Capitalist Country. Obama will have his own CIVILIAN MILITARY as strong as the US military.

North Korea - Obama-like country

YouTube - Inside North Korea

South Korea - Capitalist (McCAIN-like country)

YouTube - South Korea Tourism Video

Old 11-03-2008, 08:09 PM

553 posts, read 838,323 times
I don't know this guy too well.. My wife knows his wife from around the neighborhood.

He's not going to open up to me and I don't know him well enough to pry so I figured the best thing would be to notify his wife. When my wife called her she didn't sound too concerned.. not in the sense that she didn't care, but it came off like she may be used to these kinds of episodes.

I really don't think he would kill himself but I was very surprised at the intensity of his emotional reaction.

I will not call the police on him. If I got a sense something was imminent I may consider it.. but given what I have to go on I will not.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:12 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,034,768 times
He might have a known mental illness for which he's getting treatment and that's why the wife wasn't surprised. It's good you notified her so she can adjust his meds, call a doctor or just keep a close eye on him.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:36 PM

715 posts, read 1,671,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undeader View Post
My wife called his wife and told her what happened. She didn't seem to concerned.
Maybe the fact that his wife is apathetic about his life is a contributing factor to his depression???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections