Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 09:46 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times

Advertisements

I must be living under a rock.

I voted for Obama for WHO he is...not his skin color. Isn't that what we are supposed to do in 2008!!! Good Golly...are we living in the 1700's???

I know there were plenty of African Americans who voted for Obama just because he is an African American. I know there are plenty of 'white' Americans who voted for McCain simply because he is NOT African American.

What totally astounds me is the public TV...Celebrities...news people....McCain himself....bringing up the racial issue!! There is the part where I feel like I am living under a rock! That so many people with supposedly a high level of intelligence are elated that we finally have an African American President!

I'm stunned!

I'm starting to wonder if there are any African Americans that voted for McCain. Not counting the ones who were guilted into it by the Catholic Church of course. Those don't count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 10:06 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Why skin color should even be mentioned or is an issue is beyond me. Barack Obama is a human being just like the rest of us. Why skin tone is a big deal really confuses me, especially in this day and age.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:08 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
I'm just stunned and disgusted that this seems to be a victory for the African Americans. Do they want equality or not?? For true equality, don't we have to move past skin color?

Old 11-05-2008, 10:13 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
I'm just stunned and disgusted that this seems to be a victory for the African Americans. Do they want equality or not?? For true equality, don't we have to move past skin color?

Because it is the first time one of their own is President. You're talking about people that suffered through some pretty horrible treatment in this country, even in modern times....and had no rights. People would have made a big deal if a woman were elected President as well.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:27 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
I honestly did not expect to see a black president in my own lifetime and if so, not at my age (43). The fact that my older relatives did endure the indignities of the Jim Crow era, I am truly elated that many are still here to see this remarkable milestone in history. In essence, it is a victory for AAs and ALL who embrace change and equality.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:42 AM

620 posts, read 2,055,255 times
I understand why its such a good feeling for them...and why they are excited to have their kids see that a black man can be president. But I agree with you ILOVEPA that there is too much focus on race. I think he won because what he has talked about and stands for represents what America wanted in a president...not because he is black. And when we focus on that, it does sort of undermine the fact that it is not the most important thing about him.

Hopefully he will end the war ASAP. I hope he takes a retreat for the next couple of months to start planning everything he needs to do right up front so we do not miss a day. It will take at least four years to begin undoing the Bush mess. Next repeal the patriot act. Start the flow of grant money for renewables so that there are solar panels everywhere you look and wind turbines whirling. I want Americans to start laughing they are so happy and surprised with how wonderful things are getting so fast. He has promised us a lot and I know many of us are ready to help him realize the dream he has come to daringly represent.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:55 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
Do you think that if he wasn't African American that he would have won? There were a tremendous amount of African Americans voting at the poll I worked at for the first time yesterday and there were several who were vocal about voting for Obama because he was an African American..

I'll bet that the number of African American voters that voted yesterday was triple if quadrupled from past elections for president so I say that race was HUGE FACTOR in his victory and I believe that if he wasn't an African American that the election numbers would have been very different if not maybe a loss.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:04 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MermanMike View Post
I want Americans to start laughing they are so happy and surprised with how wonderful things are getting so fast. He has promised us a lot and I know many of us are ready to help him realize the dream he has come to daringly represent.

That certainly is not going to happen......They all promise alot and they never do what they say...A politician is just that and one might say what you want to hear and another won't but no matter what they are pandering to the public for votes and in this election the nation was so hungry for change that if Mickey Mouse ran as a democrat he would have won just the same..

Nothing in gov't happens fast, nothing.....1 1/2 years to get into the seat and learn, 1 year to do your job and 1 1/2 years campaigning to run again..

Why does it seem that everyone is soo easliy blinded by the fact that when it comes down to it he is a politician and there is no way that anything is going to change in the next 2 years even a little...

What makes you think that he is going to be able to do anything faster or better? Where is he different? What is he a superhero politician? Our gov't hasn't changed so why would you think he going to be able to do anything any differently.

I agree that he is a change but please do not hang on that word "change" because when nothing really happens in the next few years you are all going to be dissappointed. Don't expect it and you won't be upset when it doesn't come...

And that goes for any candidate that wins, irregardles of race, age or party.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:16 AM

201 posts, read 538,800 times
Personally, I am just glad that McCain did not win. It is terrible that race is a factor, on both halves. I would assume that many black people are going to let it go to their heads but they have to remember that he is neither black or white, but a mix of both. I do not trust any politicians and I know they all say what they think you want to hear but I hope that he will stick to his word. I know that anything he does has to pass through congress first and many of his promises will be shot down and we can not blame it solely on him. I hope he can bring the change that this country needs. I was a bit surprised when I heard him say "God bless America". I heard rumors that he will not be placing his hand on the Bible, but the Koran (?). I am really not up on religions but I thought they believed in Mohammed. Does anyone know if this is true?

Old 11-05-2008, 11:17 AM

411 posts, read 1,290,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Do you think that if he wasn't African American that he would have won? There were a tremendous amount of African Americans voting at the poll I worked at for the first time yesterday and there were several who were vocal about voting for Obama because he was an African American..

I'll bet that the number of African American voters that voted yesterday was triple if quadrupled from past elections for president so I say that race was HUGE FACTOR in his victory and I believe that if he wasn't an African American that the election numbers would have been very different if not maybe a loss.
Ah, he is half black....right? So which half was voted upon for racial reasons?

I voted here in VA, I saw the greatest turnout of any election, and I have made everyone since 1980. My city is diverse with about 55% black and 45% white. I saw a tremendous amount of AA voters turning out. And that is the key! The Obama campaign did their leg work getting out the vote. I even heard Carl Rove talking last night about the same. Demographics of the country are dynamic. McCain's campaign didn't start the process until it was too late. If he ran the country like he ran his campaign it would be a big disaster Dan. He dropped the ball. Last I looked AA population of the US is a little over 12% That 12 % voting around a 99% block = around 11%...look for a different cause.

Last edited by NEPA-x-pat; 11-05-2008 at 12:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections