Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 10:41 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times

Advertisements

I voted for Obama but I didn't like that comment. Nobody "fails" in an election. In the final analysis, it comes down to a whole blend of things, including the basic climate of the country (conservative, lib, unrest, satisfaction, etc.), associations (let's face it--Americans are/were afraid of electing another Republican into office), the weight of the EC, a whole bunch of things.

He didn't fail. I did not like the way he ran his campaign. But in the end, it's never really any one person's "fault" that a person gets elected or not. Nobody should look at it that way. The only real "victory" is if the country winds up doing well/better during the ensuing years.

I did like the majority of his speech, though concession speeches always make me a little sad. I'm the person who can't watch the shots of the "losing" football team walking slowly and somberly off the field.

I'm sure McCain will stay active in politics (he is still a Senator, after all).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 10:41 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I don't think he said that he's a failure. He said he failed.
Exactly. There is a huge difference. He was taking the "buck stops here" attitude, and I applaud him for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I think he's relieved.
I know I would be.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:43 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vukinjo View Post
And the repubs on this forum are being accused of angry, hateful remarks? There are multiple posts asking why we can't support Obama, or give him a chance? Well, what would you expect when we see comments like these?
That is exactly why he posted this classless thread. He is seeing people willing to give Obama a chance and he wants to keep the anger and hate going.

I'm telling ya folks, moderates to slight left and moderates to lsight right will give Obama a chance, like me, the far left in the country is BY FAR more hateful and angry then anyone on the right could ever imagine being.

This forum provided much proof of this, as did proposition 8 in California, as did the far left media based out of San Fran with their brutal attacks on Palin.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:43 AM

135 posts, read 224,106 times
Idiot posts like this after you won personally attacking people on "the other side" are just as bad as the idiot pro mccain posts of the same nature pre-election. Making fun of and belittling other people isn't (surprise) how you solve problems. It's how you keep people divided, which is just plain counterproductive. Please don't do it. Show some class. At least at the end McCain came around and did so. There's no reason you shouldn't do the same, and every reason you should.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:44 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I voted for Obama but I didn't like that comment. Nobody "fails" in an election. In the final analysis, it comes down to a whole blend of things, including the basic climate of the country (conservative, lib, unrest, satisfaction, etc.), associations (let's face it--Americans are/were afraid of electing another Republican into office), the weight of the EC, a whole bunch of things.

He didn't fail. I did not like the way he ran his campaign. But in the end, it's never really any one person's "fault" that a person gets elected or not. Nobody should look at it that way. The only real "victory" is if the country winds up doing well/better during the ensuing years.

I did like the majority of his speech, though concession speeches always make me a little sad. I'm the person who can't watch the shots of the "losing" football team walking slowly and somberly off the field.

I'm sure McCain will stay active in politics (he is still a Senator, after all).
Unfortunately it seems like many Obama supporters are unable to take the high road like McCain did. That's kind of sad.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:45 AM

2,522 posts, read 4,392,304 times
Your post makes me absolutely ill. John McCain is a man who should be wildly celebrated.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:46 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
Unfortunately it seems like many Obama supporters are unable to take the high road like McCain did. That's kind of sad.
Remember that we are coming off the heels of a VERY emotional, often angry campaign. This has been a groundbreaking campaign in many ways (from both sides) and it was bound to get to the very core of our every feeling...both good and bad. It will take a while for the dust to settle and people's feelings to go back into place again.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:46 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,371,356 times
McCains campaign was filled with complete negativity and hostility towards Obama. I have no remorse on calling this guy a complete failure because he deserves it. He was rude, inconsiderate, and showed anger during the debates - losing them all anyways.

Picking Palin again, showed he is a moron in his decisions.

McCain failed. period...Those that voted for him, Im glad you voted for a loser...

Old 11-05-2008, 10:48 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,086,496 times
Actually, I thought McCain's concession speech was one of the most gracious and friendly concession speeches I've heard in a long time. I actually watched it in Grant Park, and his calls for unity were greeted with applause and everyone surrounding me said that it was an excellent speech, one of the best he had given.

That was the McCain I respected, if we had seen more of him in this race, it would have truly been a nailbiter for us Obama supporters there in Grant Park standing around watching election returns.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:48 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,493,973 times
McCain's concession speech reinforced my belief that he is a good man, even if the people in his campaign are not.

May he continue to serve his country like he's done for decades. He has done more for this country than any of us on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections