Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 01:41 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,144,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Mojokitty, I really think your heart is in the right place and I certainly think you are entitled to your opinions and feelings. But let me see if I can explain to you MY opinion and feelings.

In a country where black people were bought and sold as though they were animals
In a country where "owners" of black people were allowed to sell away their children, beat them, and even kill them
In a country where black people were legally defined as less than human
In a country where even after slavery black people were not allowed to vote, to live in certain areas, to eat in many public places or drink from the same fountain, to go to the same schools as white children, not allowed to work at many, many jobs
In a country where black people were lynched for not crossing the street to get out of the white person's way and when little black boys were tortured and murdered because a woman said they whistled at them
In a country where black churches were bombed and children murdered and nothing was done
In a country where thousands of black people were beatened and killed because they wanted to vote

When a black man is elected President of the United States in a country where all that took place, to NOT acknowledge it not only belittles all the high price that black people have paid through the centuries to make this possible but it also belittles the growth that has taken place in white America.

I am a white woman too but I am an old white woman and am able to well remember much of what has happened. Maybe that is the difference.
In a country where you were too young to have been involved in any of the above mentioned deplorable situations, yet were accused of being racist because you disagreed with a candidate's policy proposals.

What happened to his promise that he would transcend race? Some of his supporters made it all about race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 01:42 PM

877 posts, read 2,076,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
In a country where you were too young to have been involved in any of the above mentioned deplorable situations, yet were accused of being racist because you disagreed with a candidate's policy proposals.

What happened to his promise that he would transcend race? Some of his supporters made it all about race.
We transcend race for blacks and people who were disadvantaged.

We do not transcend race for whites, because they're evil, or something like that.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:44 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,233,404 times
Why should anyone feel segregated? Because your guy didn't win? Boo-hoo.

This thread makes no sense...

Old 11-05-2008, 02:16 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,697,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Why should anyone feel segregated? Because your guy didn't win? Boo-hoo.

This thread makes no sense...
No, my guy did not win, he had no chance of winning! He's a libertarian for goodness sake! I did NOT write this post because my "guy didn't win". I wrote this post because I've heard more people either triumph or b**ch about race than I've heard them say "oh good, a dem finally got into the office, he's going to help us get out of debt, help the war" whatever it might be. (don't jump on me, I've heard people discuss those things as well!) The fact is, people are making THIS particular election about race and it makes me feel more segregated than united. I'm not speaking on behalf of whites or blacks or any other race, but all americans who have brought up race. Both in a positive or negative light. You must have come into the wrong thread or something if you think it's a matter of "who's guy won". Maybe you need to re-read through it and try to understand it a little better. If anything, it got a lot of people talking and actually, I feel like a lot of us came together on this issue more than I've seen today!

Old 11-05-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
No, my guy did not win, he had no chance of winning! He's a libertarian for goodness sake! I did NOT write this post because my "guy didn't win". I wrote this post because I've heard more people either triumph or b**ch about race than I've heard them say "oh good, a dem finally got into the office, he's going to help us get out of debt, help the war" whatever it might be. (don't jump on me, I've heard people discuss those things as well!) The fact is, people are making THIS particular election about race and it makes me feel more segregated than united. I'm not speaking on behalf of whites or blacks or any other race, but all americans who have brought up race. Both in a positive or negative light. You must have come into the wrong thread or something if you think it's a matter of "who's guy won". Maybe you need to re-read through it and try to understand it a little better. If anything, it got a lot of people talking and actually, I feel like a lot of us came together on this issue more than I've seen today!
Sorry but I just didn't understand what you were trying to get across. I do now. Pardon.

While I do agree that Obama's election is a major step forward this country race relation-wise. I think real progress will be when we don't even talk about race.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:22 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,077,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
The fact is, people are making THIS particular election about race and it makes me feel more segregated than united. I'm not speaking on behalf of whites or blacks or any other race, but all americans who have brought up race. Both in a positive or negative light. You must have come into the wrong thread or something if you think it's a matter of "who's guy won". Maybe you need to re-read through it and try to understand it a little better. If anything, it got a lot of people talking and actually, I feel like a lot of us came together on this issue more than I've seen today!
Oh no, the first election in which a white male is not elected president is not at all noteworthy and should not be discussed apparently. And we should all be color blind. Well we wish that was the case but its not. So a dialogue is appropriate. There is nothing wrong with discussing race. I'm white and I feel no guilt for acknowledging our country's sickening history or feeling sympathy for people's ancestors and how they and people to this day are treated. My mixed race cousin was so hurt by the racism she encountered working as a canvasser in Georgia she would go home and cry. Its still going on so stop the denial. If you're not a part of it, no need to feel guilty or attacked about it.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:31 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,697,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Oh no, the first election in which a white male is not elected president is not at all noteworthy and should not be discussed apparently. And we should all be color blind. Well we wish that was the case but its not. So a dialogue is appropriate. There is nothing wrong with discussing race. I'm white and I feel no guilt for acknowledging our country's sickening history or feeling sympathy for people's ancestors and how they and people to this day are treated. My mixed race cousin was so hurt by the racism she encountered working as a canvasser in Georgia she would go home and cry. Its still going on so stop the denial. If you're not a part of it, no need to feel guilty or attacked about it.
I never said it's not noteworthy. As a matter of fact, I did say (not direct quote) that we should be happy about this! Please re-read my posts if you need to. Obviously you just looked at my first post and chose to make assumptions before reading ALL posts. I NEVER said we should be color blind (if I did, please post a direct quote, I hate to be misrepresented). My point was, that I feel like, so far, that it's ALL about race with some people. I think that is making us see more racism (pointing out the segregation) than not. I have seen and heard this in posts and IRL.

As a mother of an Asian child, yes, I have seen some racism and heard racist comments as well. Even directly in front of my child! You don't think THAT makes me want to cry sometimes? So, trust me, you are not hearing any denial from me. I'm just trying to work around how BO would love for our country to be united (no matter your sex, race, etc) but people still like to bring up race in this election. Please share your thoughts. Hearing everyone speak on this topic has been enlightening.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:50 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,077,217 times
My thought again is that there is nothing wrong with having a dialogue and being honest about race issues in this country. Your personal story included.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
My thought again is that there is nothing wrong with having a dialogue and being honest about race issues in this country. Your personal story included.
Agreed. I want to clarify that honest discussion about race issues is good. I am not one that advocates not discussing race and hoping it will disappear. In order to get to point where race is no longer an issue, which is the ideal, we need to first be honest then deal with it and move on.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:11 PM

24,385 posts, read 23,041,608 times
I ran into a group of four african americans at a restaurant that made it a point to mock anybody who may have been unhappy with the election. They had every right to be happy, although we really had two substandard candidates, but how is that justification for acting like buffoons to total strangers? To go out of your way to show you lack class and manners? Think about that when you wonder why nobody is getting along.
I once ran into a white guy at another restaurant who made racist comments and thought what a loser. Now he has company, these four idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections