Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 10:23 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times

Advertisements

I wonder how an openly-gay presidential candidate would fare in Arkansas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 08:10 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,548,547 times
I do not know why I continue to come back to this thread....it literally makes me sick! If this is a sample of the mindset of the nation there is no President who can correct it, regardless of color. No wonder this nation is going down the drain!

Oh..good, I see it has been moved from the Arkansas forum. I will no longer be seeing it, since the one it is on now is not one of my subscribed forums.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:51 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I would say to some extent race has something to do with it in the south on both sides. More intersting I think is the differnce between the New and Old South. On this end the starkest difference is in areas with fewer African Americans. North Carolina's high tech and banking areas and the rapidly developing areas of Northern Virginia were more favorable to Obama while areas such as Arkansas, Tennessee and Appalachia that have experianced less growth were more favorable to McCain. Interstingly enough the North West corner of Arkansas is the exception that proves the rule. Those counties have been experiancing rapid growth and are much less red than the rest of the state.
Northwest Arkansas is a Republican stronghold in Arkansas. Eastern Arkansas along the delta, the poorest part of the state, is where you find the Democrats. So your theory doesn't hold water.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:27 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Well there is the "bible belt" which pretty much aligns with this, but this clearly illustrates the BIGOTRY BELT

Old 11-10-2008, 09:44 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Well there is the "bible belt" which pretty much aligns with this, but this clearly illustrates the BIGOTRY BELT
Really?? So the majority of people living in those reddish areas are bigots. You are so insightful, so authoritative when you point this out. Heaven forbid that we actually have sections of the country that are more conservative than the bulk of the population. We certainly don't want those people to have any credibility, we'll just label them bigots. Then we can ignore whatever opinions they want to contribute to the national discourse.

We live in a country that is supposed to have a RANGE of opinions, from very conservative voices to very liberal voices. We are supposed to have a government that protects the voices of the people in the political minority, that gives them a platform no matter how offensive those opinions are to the majority. Because, in a democracy, everyone's point of view is respected, even if it isn't embraced. The pendulum is swinging in one direction today, it will swing back. But if we relaxed our guard, and actually began to respect each other more, began looking beyond the labels and found out why people think the way they do, those pendulum swings might not be as extreme, and our government might not be so partisan. Talking with and not insulting each other could actually make our entire system more productive.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:26 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
Indiana is 90% white, assclown. If Indiana is so racist, McCain would have won by over 75%.
just curious ,is and "ass clown a new species?If so how does it fit in with Darwin's theories?LOL

Old 11-15-2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Yeah, it's red AROUND New Orleans, but that's where all the racist white people live. Remember, about 200,000 black people were displaced from New Orleans, most of the white people lived outside the disaster areas and were able to return. Metairie, Kenner, Slidell, Lafayette, all those cities are mostly white and VERY racist. Mandeville, a suburb of New Orleans, is the home town of David Duke, the former head of the KKK. I left New Orleans in 2003, and one of the main reasons was that the White people, no matter how "normal" they seemed, all seemed to be racist.

And Eastern Massachusetts is incredibly racist, I've lived out in that area too. You have Italians, and a lot of Irish and Old White people, and all of them are traditionally against people who don't share their background.
What you say has truth but you realize that Louisiana has A Governor who's parents are from India.Massachusetts has a black Governor as well .

Old 11-15-2008, 11:51 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,639,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
What you say has truth but you realize that Louisiana has A Governor who's parents are from India.Massachusetts has a black Governor as well .
I can't speak for Louisiana, but I can explain Massachusetts.

Those old white Irish folks thought the man running for governor was won of them - Governor Patrick, don't ya' be knowing?

</sarcasm>

Old 11-16-2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
I can't speak for Louisiana, but I can explain Massachusetts.

Those old white Irish folks thought the man running for governor was won of them - Governor Patrick, don't ya' be knowing?

</sarcasm>
lol

Old 11-16-2008, 12:36 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,288,273 times
The reason Massachusetts went redder than in 2004 is pretty simple-- John Kerry ran in 04 and helped turn the state bluer just like John McCain helped turn Arizona redder this year since he is local. The democratic candidate this year was not from Massachusetts, so the state did not benefit from the kind of crossover they experienced in 2004 and that Arizona experienced this year, so it moved back to equilibrium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections