Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 09:50 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoppingCartLaw View Post

People are worshipping him for his talk even though he says outrageous things like build his own civilian military.
It's like the people are mesmerized. I don't get it.
I have heard a little of this, but not the plan do you know what is being said? Is he doing away with the U.S. Military and replacing it with an Obama Military???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 10:12 PM

532 posts, read 859,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yeah, the Obamabashers on this board constantly belittled the importance of Obama's great oratory skills - but the fact is, those types of skills REALLY MATTER in a leader. Think of all the great speeches throughout history and how they have helped provide courage and determination to people in times of crisis. Think of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address - or Churchills' "we shall fight them on the beaches" - or FDR's "Day of Infamy". These were important speeches delivered by world-class orators and they remain famous for very good reasons - among them the fact that they helped provide resolute courage to people facing a fearful future. Great speakers can provide hope, confidence and guidance when times are tough - as they are today.

So, yes, Obama's impressive speaking skills are a great asset indeed - both to him personally, and to the country as whole.

Ken
Great oratory skills are admirable--but in the long run, "actions speak louder than words." I think I'll wait and see if the deeds match the words. Sometimes they don't.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:16 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastidahomom View Post
So basically if we compliment Obama on something he says, it means we're worshiping him? Dang you guys need a life.
And if we don't we are racist....

United we stand divided we fall.... Who knew they were talking about Obama.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:18 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Trust, but verify.

Peace through superior firepower.

Have you any research to back up these outrageous claims?
What outrageous claims are those?
That someone liked has an easier time getting what he wants?
That someone disliked has a harder time getting what he wants?
That Bush has alienated our friends and allies and thus is going to have a harder time pursuing US interests abroad?

None of those are "outrageous".

"In a 2003 Pew survey, majorities in seven of eight predominantly Muslim nations (including Turkey) said they regard America as a potential military threat to their own country. In a Eurobarometer poll of European Union nations in 2003, respondents placed America on a par with Iran as a threat to world peace. Pew finds that in France, Germany, Jordan, Morocco, Pakistan, and Turkey, many people believe that America's real goal in the war on terror is not to reduce terrorism but to dominate the world."

"In other words, the problem is not so much that foreigners hate the American people (most don't) or dislike American policies (though many do); it's that they fear America's unrivaled power. The Iraq war seems to have operated on world opinion as a catalytic event, arousing foreign alarm at American power much as 9/11 catalyzed America's alarm over Islamist jihadism. What seems to be happening, says Steven Kull, the director of the University of Maryland's Program on International Policy Attitudes, is not just a reaction against the United States, but also a realignment of world opinion toward other centers of power."

LINK

Pew - How's THAT for research?
Plenty of other evidence out there. Look it up for yourself, it's very easy to find.

Ken

Old 11-05-2008, 10:18 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,465,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
It is such a relief that, for the first time in 8 years, we will finally have a president that is smarter than I am. I'm tired of holding my breath everytime the president speaks...wondering how he will embarrass us this time.
Agreed!

Old 11-05-2008, 10:39 PM

64 posts, read 83,723 times
Personally I think the word "racist" is being used in the wrong context! First Obama is not americas first "black" president , he is in fact Americas first "mixed" President. Dont you find it a little odd that White people voted him into office and as soon as victory is declared, obama is suddenly "black".

So who is the racist, bet he made his white mother proud!!!

Old 11-05-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myusername2008 View Post
Personally I think the word "racist" is being used in the wrong context! First Obama is not americas first "black" president , he is in fact Americas first "mixed" President. Dont you find it a little odd that White people voted him into office and as soon as victory is declared, obama is suddenly "black".

So who is the racist, bet he made his white mother proud!!!
Historically, anyone who is "Mixed" has been considered "Black" - particularly if they are of dark complexion. That's the reality of the situation.

Ken

Old 11-05-2008, 10:46 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,578,942 times
Quote:
What outrageous claims are those?
That someone liked has an easier time getting what he wants?
That someone disliked has a harder time getting what he wants?
That Bush has alienated our friends and allies and thus is going to have a harder time pursuing US interests abroad?

None of those are "outrageous".

"In a 2003 Pew survey, majorities in seven of eight predominantly Muslim nations (including Turkey) said they regard America as a potential military threat to their own country. In a Eurobarometer poll of European Union nations in 2003, respondents placed America on a par with Iran as a threat to world peace. Pew finds that in France, Germany, Jordan, Morocco, Pakistan, and Turkey, many people believe that America's real goal in the war on terror is not to reduce terrorism but to dominate the world."

"In other words, the problem is not so much that foreigners hate the American people (most don't) or dislike American policies (though many do); it's that they fear America's unrivaled power. The Iraq war seems to have operated on world opinion as a catalytic event, arousing foreign alarm at American power much as 9/11 catalyzed America's alarm over Islamist jihadism. What seems to be happening, says Steven Kull, the director of the University of Maryland's Program on International Policy Attitudes, is not just a reaction against the United States, but also a realignment of world opinion toward other centers of power."

LINK

Pew - How's THAT for research?
Plenty of other evidence out there. Look it up for yourself, it's very easy to find.

Ken
To quote a real American Patriot...they were told..."You are either with us, or against us." G. W. Bush.

It is not in our best interest to appease Islamo-Fascists. I do not wish to be more like our European friends. I care not what they think. I especially do not care what the Muslim Nations think. They all harbor Jihadist, in my mind. Turkey is lucky we turn our eye when they invade Kurdistan regularly.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:54 PM

64 posts, read 83,723 times
Quote:
Historically, anyone who is "Mixed" has been considered "Black" - particularly if they are of dark complexion. That's the reality of the situation.

Ken
Ken, Obama did not mind using his white heritage to get the votes, true? I know many African americans who do not consider a mixed person black, my niece is a prime example...she had a mixed kid and the Baby daddys family shunned it and do not acknowledge that it exists.

Please do your homework ken or you will get detention!!!

Old 11-05-2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
To quote a real American Patriot...they were told..."You are either with us, or against us." G. W. Bush.

It is not in our best interest to appease Islamo-Fascists. I do not wish to be more like our European friends. I care not what they think. I especially do not care what the Muslim Nations think. They all harbor Jihadist, in my mind. Turkey is lucky we turn our eye when they invade Kurdistan regularly.
And your silly childish mentality is EXACTLY why we are forced to go into debt to the Chinese to pay for a war in Iraq that has fallen almost entirely on the shoulders of the American taxpayers.

As long as we have to do it all ourselves we will continue to need to borrow Chinese money to fund our military - and eventually China will own us.

Good goin'

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections