Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 11:10 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,753,148 times

Advertisements

Guliani... every time I hear the name, I cringe. He was vitriolic to Paul: sneering and jeering the way I imagine a rabid hyena would before its rotten feast... I wanted to reach out in the primaries' debates and kick him in the balls for plainly dismissing the 2008 Great Hope for the GOP... same with Fox and their Paul smear campaiging (except for Judge Napolitano, bless his Libertarian heart) But alas... they burned their bridge to redemption.

But like some of you have said... it wasn't for naught... Paul spread a great message to so many people. I wouldn't have been half as engaged in politics this year if it weren't for the awareness he and others brought forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 11:17 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,869,735 times
I voted for Paul in the primaries as a kind of protest vote. I like his entire platform and would love to unleash him on the US political landscape. The problem is reality, he did nothing to deal with the reality of getting elected POTUS. This involves capturing one of the party bases and building a coalition from there. All the great ideas and intentions in the world mean nothing if you cant get into the Oval office.

He could learn something from the lying POS who got elected

Old 11-05-2008, 11:19 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,144,408 times
And where is Giuliani today? Where is he headed on the national scene? How has Giuliani helped to bring new people into the Republican Party?

Check out Campaign For Liberty Home in case you haven't already. Notice the number of folks that the Paul campaign have motivated to run for local and state offices. Have to crawl before you walk, and one has to develop a base and be patient.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:21 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,334,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
I voted for Paul in the primaries as a kind of protest vote. I like his entire platform and would love to unleash him on the US political landscape. The problem is reality, he did nothing to deal with the reality of getting elected POTUS. This involves capturing one of the party bases and building a coalition from there. All the great ideas and intentions in the world mean nothing if you cant get into the Oval office.

He could learn something from the lying POS who got elected
That would make him like all other politicians.... If he compromises his integrity to get the popular vote than he would be just like the others he looks down on.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:22 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,417,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I have a lot of respect for Mr. Paul...
Me too. He was the only true Republican at the debates.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:23 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,334,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
And where is Giuliani today? Where is he headed on the national scene? How has Giuliani helped to bring new people into the Republican Party?

Check out Campaign For Liberty Home in case you haven't already. Notice the number of folks that the Paul campaign have motivated to run for local and state offices. Have to crawl before you walk, and one has to develop a base and be patient.

It's all in how you build your base though. Obama for example was willing to lean whichever way was most popular....McCain was willing to let attack ads take over his campaign in hopes the people would change their beliefs. Paul has pretty much been true to himself and his followers which is in itself more than most others could ever achieve.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:25 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,924,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
It's all in how you build your base though. Obama for example was willing to lean whichever way was most popular....McCain was willing to let attack ads take over his campaign in hopes the people would change their beliefs. Paul has pretty much been true to himself and his followers which is in itself more than most others could ever achieve.
Yup, because as he always said....its about the ideas, not about the man himself.

2,260 posts, read 3,869,735 times
If you believe in the urgency of his message you do what it takes. I respect him for taking the high road but if grandma is sick and dying you break the Pharnacy window to get the medicine that will save her.

1,518 posts, read 2,753,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I saw him earlier today, getting plenty of post election talk time on the regular syndicates... the guy is straight shuck and jive for a dollar for any person that's willing to pay to hear him talk... Thanks for the link.

Anyway, I preferred Paul, but Obama was a nice concession prize for me to the 'mainstream alternatives'. So I'm happy, more or less. We couldn't do any worse policy wise... so here's to positive encouragement for the next 4...

Old 11-05-2008, 11:35 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,897,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Me too. He was the only true Republican at the debates.
So why did the republicans reject him?

Is it Ron Paul is out of touch?

Or is there something really wrong with the Republican Party?

I think the Republican Party has really lost its way. As long as the economy is good, then people will focus on other issues, morality issues, foreign policy etc.

But when middle class families are being evicted and made homeless,

when college educated middle class heartland of America (who usually have the best of opportunities) are competing for jobs at Star Bucks and Home Depot,

When Wall Street brokers, finance executives, and automotive senior level management are being shown the door...

The ECONOMY becomes the bottom line.

Forget stem cell research, marijuana laws, gay marriages, talking with foreign leaders (who don't agree with US policy) vs ignoring those foreign countries, abortion laws, prayers in schools, all of these MORALITY issues.

When people literally don't know where they will be living NEXT month, suddenly taking care of Megan, Katlin, Cody, and Josh Jr. becomes much more important than if neighbors Joe and Patrick are "married".

And in my mind... fighting in Iraq costing BILLIONS of dollars that we don't have to give to the federal government to "redistribute the wealth" to the companies (Halliburt etc) was THE DECIDING FACTOR for this election.

Ron Paul was the only Republican who was against the war and pledged to leave as soon as possible. That is why he got my vote, donation and my time volunteering in his primary campaign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections