Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 01:06 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
There is more diversity and higher education is not frowned upon.
I have two cousins who grew up driving tractors. They are both doctors now....and grandma is very proud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 01:18 PM

532 posts, read 908,425 times
Do you think it is fair to say that Democrats tend to be more open-minded and Republicans tend to be less so? I mean, I certainly feel that way, but I wonder if Republicans would agree.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I am actually registered as a Democrat, and I would say "no". Democrats expect you to see it their way, e.g. support abortion even if you feel it is morally wrong, etc. Repubs expect you to see it their way, e.g. oppose gay marriage, even if you're gay. (These are just examples.) I've met a lot of intolerant liberals in my lifetime.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:37 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
It has been hinted at by others, and some have come out and stated that rural folks are more independent/self-reliant, but what hasn't been said (or I missed it) is that city critters are far more dependent on services provided by others than those living in rural areas.

Why do you think all the aid in any natural disaster or catastrophe goes to cities before rural areas? Because if city critters couldn't get their meat cellophane wrapped from grocery stores, they would starve to death. They are unable to provide for themselves, much less others in need.

Those who live in the country typically know how to hunt, and provide for themselves, their families, and others who might be in need.

As a result, the completely dependent city critters tend to be much more liberal, looking for even more dependency on government. Conversely, the self-reliant country folk want to keep the government out of their lives as much as possible.

This translates into cities being Democrat strongholds, and rural areas dominated by Republicans.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:39 PM

877 posts, read 2,076,603 times
If you think liberals are more open minded and educated, look at an Obama rally, or some of the "man on the street" interviews with Obama supporters.

Those people didn't know what they were voting for. They didn't make a reasoned decision based on the available evidence of which side to vote for. Voting for Barack Obama was the cool thing to do, so they stepped in line. Or they heard something about Obama wanting to lower taxes, so they stepped in line.

The same can be said of many of McCain's supporters.

The American electorate is highly uneducated when it comes to political matters. Each political party tailors their message to what voter group X wants to hear, and hopes to win their support come election day. I would wager that the number of voters (on either side) who seriously consider the positions of each candidate before making their decision is around 5-10%.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:41 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Part of it is the south has had more conservative type churches, ie Southern Baptist, and southern cities were smaller than their NE counterparts.

Also the history of Unions being for Democrats which started with the Irish immigrants in early 1900s. NE states are pro union, southern states are mainly right to work states.
ah, yes, the conservative religion definitely plays a larger role in people's lives in the South than in the North. some would argue to great a role, but that's a whole 'nother topic.

in terms of certain issues, yes, Dems, IMO, are more open minded, as a whole, than Repubs. not saying republicans are all narrow-minded, but the ultra-conservatives tend to be. I disagree w/ you, Katiana, in that Dems don't support abortion, they support the CHOICE to decide whether you want one or not. I'm a Dem and don't support abortion, but am pro-choice.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Well, it was just an example. I've seen Dems here in Boulder County make a litmus test, so to speak, of supporting a particular tax or program. We don't all have to agree all the time. Many think you must oppose charter schools, or any school reform whatsoever, in order to be a card-carrying Democrat. Another example.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:50 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
When you put too many people into too little space, you get too much conflict and people are more inclined to want a big government and so forth. In addition, the dependence cities create contributes.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:59 PM

532 posts, read 908,425 times
Yeah there's more hunting in rural areas, but do you really think that translates to knowing how to provide for yourselves without Wal-Mart? I think we'd all be pretty bad off.
I do agree that city people see more need for government assistance though. Many in the city depend on public transit to get to work and back. In the country that isn't an issue. You either drive or you don't go anywhere if your nearest neighbor is miles away.
And again I'll point to the fact that seeing homeless people is much different than imagining them. There ought to be somewhere they can get a meal and a place to sleep where they won't freeze to death- at least that's how I feel when I think about it.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:05 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,841,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
ah, yes, the conservative religion definitely plays a larger role in people's lives in the South than in the North. some would argue to great a role, but that's a whole 'nother topic.

in terms of certain issues, yes, Dems, IMO, are more open minded, as a whole, than Repubs. not saying republicans are all narrow-minded, but the ultra-conservatives tend to be. I disagree w/ you, Katiana, in that Dems don't support abortion, they support the CHOICE to decide whether you want one or not. I'm a Dem and don't support abortion, but am pro-choice.
I saw a documentary on the 60's and there was a woman who talked about her experiences during those times. She was in her early twenties at the time and she spent two years being "open minded".
She eventually found herself in a closet throwing up after an overdose and two abortions. She had no clue where she was. That was her turning point. Today she is a child psychologist but she still wears multi-colors.
The point being that open mindedness can be just as destructive as close mindedness and that they both need each other for balance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections